Inspection Hole Gasket

• Ryan P
    Farmington

Hey guys, Took the boat out for the first time yesterday (WOOHOO!). Anyway, after loading back up I opened the inspection cover in the splash well. The little O ring around this is now pretty much non existent so if water gets in the splash well I’m sure its leaking into the bilge. Anyone know where I can get a new one? Is this a Crestliner thing or are they generic parts? Boat is a 2004 Angler 1600 SC. The splash well gets filled up fairly often because the boat is pretty stern heavy with the 75 HP 4 stroke Merc. Any advice is appreciated.

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

This should be a generic size cover. Five or six inch are the most common sizes. Most marinas should be able to get you a new o-ring. Might also be able to order on-line.

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

You could also just seal this up with a bead of silicone glue.

-J.

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

You could also just seal this up with a bead of silicone glue.

-J.

Glue might make it difficult to open the inspection cover when needed. Going thru this opening is the only access for the bilge area plumbing and pumps.

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

I was thinking the cover was this type of design. The gaskets are usually along the screw holes. If that is the case, just glue it in and be done with it.

https://www.westmarine.com/buy/west-marine–screw-in-deck-plate-4-smooth-white–11743002?cm_mmc=PS-_-Google-_-GSC%2520-%2520Product%2520Type-_-11743002&product_id=11743002&adpos=1o2&creative=108421552924&device=c&matchtype=&network=g&gclid=CM7ss4PYpNMCFQkvaQodtY8HQg

Not a fan of any access covers in splash wells. They all tend to leak.

-J.

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

Jon,

I am reading it as the O-ring between the cover and the base is damaged/ missing, not the gasket between the base plate and the splash well.

On my Crestliner boat, the cover is press fit into the baseplate, with the o-ring providing both the fit and the seal.

Ryan P
    Farmington

It is the o ring on the screw on cover. Maybe I’ll take the cover off and try a couple marina shops out. If nothing else I’ll drive up to west marine.

hillhiker
    SE MN

If a marine shop doesn’t have one you can just get them at a hardware store. It will just be a standard o-ring.

cheers

I had similar problems with my Lund . I could not find the correct one so I went to a machine shop/parts store , they had o ring material in bulk and cut a piece to length and then glued it together to form a ring . I now make sure to rub Vaseline on it for lubrication every time I remove the cover

404 ERROR
    MN

I used marine deckplates for years in a manufacturing setting and found that just about all deckplates have a terrible seal on them. Hands down the best style is one from Armstrong Nautical Products. They are a very different design than what comes on most boats, but it works great if you can get it to work on your current hole.

Attachments:
    1. deckplate-01.jpg

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.