Independence lake?

• Jeff Schomaker
    Participant

You guys have any info on this lake? May try it this coming Saturday. Thanks

JD Winston
    Inactive
    Chanhassen, MN

Yep. What do you want to know?

Jeff Schomaker
    Participant

Well my buddy and I might go there Saturday and neither of us have been on the lake before. Our previous plan to go to mille lacs just isn’t gonna work out so this is our plan B. Just any advice would be greatly appreciated. Would love to fine walleyes but not sure how likely that is. If not walleyes, perch and crappie would be good

JD Winston
    Inactive
    Chanhassen, MN

Eyes in south west corner in 15-28 feet. You will see the grouping of houses. Crappies in 25-35 feet just outside of that but nearer the center of the lake. There are other misc spots but that is the corner most guys tackle first. There are 2 underwater humps that could produce eyes but Navionics does not show them.

Not a big or complicated lake, follow the houses. Consider Sarah as well a little further West. Nice sunnies and crappies there too.

Jeff Schomaker
    Participant

Hey Thanks for the info! Greatly appreciated! Are there many perch roaming the lake? I live in Iowa and would really like to bring a mixed bag of fish home with me.

JD Winston
    Inactive
    Chanhassen, MN

Yep, there is a good few but you will have to sort out the dinks.

JD Winston
    Inactive
    Chanhassen, MN

Just a reminder, the lake access is a pay access through the 3 rivers park system. Not sure if they man the gates in the winter though. I haven’t seen them in 2 trips out there this year yet. On the middle East side.

JD Winston
    Inactive
    Chanhassen, MN

For public, yes. You could drag your gear from the highway on that south west side too.

Jeff Schomaker
    Participant

Okay thanks. So that’s where everyone drives in from? Is there a road out to the SW corner?

JD Winston
    Inactive
    Chanhassen, MN

I did some research, no parking/access fee in the winter so if you want to drive on the lake, use the Baker Park access in the south east side. Most people use this access. Unless walking out. Then that SW corner off the highway saves a lot of time. No road from the SW corner. That would be walk in only.

Jeff Schomaker
    Participant

Okay! Thanks JD! Really appreciate the info! Really hope we can get on some fish!

moustachesteve
    Participant
    Twin Cities

Anyone know first-hand what the ice looks like on Independence? Maybe JD can chime in jester

I’m assuming it’s spotty like the rest of the metro/state/upper Midwest

catmando
    Participant
    wis

I am sure he’s around….. somewhere! shock

fishthumper
    Participant
    Sartell, MN.

Anyone know first-hand what the ice looks like on Independence? Maybe JD can chime in jester

I’m assuming it’s spotty like the rest of the metro/state/upper Midwest

If the ice on Independence lake is not good yet – There is a Tiny lake right next to it that can be great for BIG sunfish and crappies. It is named half moon. It is connected to independence lake by a small creek. Its been lots of years since I last fished it so things may have changed but it use to have a good population of nice panfish and some good northerns as well. I once caught a 44″ musky on it thru the ice on a crappie minnow. You park at the end of the road leading to a group campsite and walk down the hill to it. It can be a challenge to get back up the hill if you are pulling a big house but use to be worth the effort

moustachesteve
    Participant
    Twin Cities

Thanks for the tip waytogo Just gotta stay wary of that creek for current. I’ve driven past plenty of times but never checked out Half Moon.

That surprise muskie must have been fun! Guessing you didn’t have on a 80# fluoro leader

fishthumper
    Participant
    Sartell, MN.

Thanks for the tip waytogo Just gotta stay wary of that creek for current. I’ve driven past plenty of times but never checked out Half Moon.

That surprise muskie must have been fun! Guessing you didn’t have on a 80# fluoro leader

No 80# leader – It came on straight 6Lb test line. It took forever to get its head turned up the hole – Thankfully it was near ice out and the old hole was enlarged some – it was fun. Wish I had a picture – this was before everyone has a cell phone with a camera.

tim hurley
    Participant

Used to fish Half Moon a lot, it does have winter kills from time to time.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.