I’m kinda slow, but finally catching on…

• ssaamm
    Participant
    Pequot Lakes

Fished with a buddy last week. We caught a mixed bag of fish. Of course, that included some pike. He had one of those wire mouth spreaders. Genius. I’ve gotten nicked up so many times by those teeth. I bought one the other day. Caught a few pike and bass today. It worked like a charm. Who says you can’t teach an old dog new tricks. This Gopher game is painful.

Denny O
    Participant
    Central IOWA

Tell me! I’m watching it too.
    Seen the spreaders for the snot rockets but I’m not accustomed to allow them to touch my net. I release them with my long nose pliers.

Netguy
    Participant
    Minnetonka

One time I threw back a 2# pike with the spreader still in its mouth after I got the lure out. shock My bad!!

Rodwork
    Participant
    Farmington, MN

I’m not accustomed to allow them to touch my net.

Same here unless I am hand landing one for someone because they are afraid to do it themselves. Now I use a net for their fish. Those spreaders work great when you need them.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_7340.jpg

Iowaboy1
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Denny O wrote:</div>
    I’m not accustomed to allow them to touch my net.

Same here unless I am hand landing one for someone because they are afraid to do it themselves. Now I use a net for their fish. Those spreaders work great when you need them.

YEOWEE!!!

gimruis
    Participant
    Plymouth, MN

I use one too. I have a standard size one and the magnum version for larger fish like muskies.

I prefer not to net the small ones. If I’m specifically muskie fishing and I catch a sizable pike, I’ll use that net down in the water.

fishthumper
    Participant
    Sartell, MN.

Both Mine and My buddies boat have several of them Tied to cord in several locations in the boats. I would not be without them. Hardly a outing where they don’t get used. On our Canadian trips they get used probably 100 times some days. If you are going to purchase one, spend the few extra $ and get the heavy duty ones. Even a small pike can keep its mouth clamped down on a cheap one.

gimruis
    Participant
    Plymouth, MN

Even a small pike can keep its mouth clamped down on a cheap one.

What’s your definition of a small pike? I use the small one all season for those 20 inch slime darts. The big one, in my case, doesn’t get used nearly as much. Primarily because 90% of the pike I catch are the hammer handles. The only time my big one gets used is when I latch on to a sizable muskie or a 30+ inch pike.

fishthumper
    Participant
    Sartell, MN.

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>fishthumper wrote:</div>
    Even a small pike can keep its mouth clamped down on a cheap one.

What’s your definition of a small pike? I use the small one all season for those 20 inch slime darts. The big one, in my case, doesn’t get used nearly as much. Primarily because 90% of the pike I catch are the hammer handles. The only time my big one gets used is when I latch on to a sizable <strong class=”ido-tag-strong”>muskie or a 30+ inch pike.

Some of the older cheaper ones I had would often fail to even keep the mouth open on even 20″ Slime darts. Have not had a problem on any size fish since I’ve replaced with bigger heavier duty ones. I know there are a ton of different models out there and the quality and resistance probably vary from one to another. All I was saying is if buying one and there was two different sizes I’d opt for the larger ones.

FryDog62
    Participant

“… if buying one and there was two different sizes I’d opt for the larger ones..”
    ——————————-
    Totally agree, I had a larger one for years that worked flawlessly until a buddy dropped it in the drink. So in a pinch, I bought one at a local tackle shop… it was one of the smaller ones. Next time out, jaws spread, digging the hook out and “BOING” the fish came back to life and the spreaders went sailing through the air and back in the drink..

Bass Pundit
    Participant
    8m S. of Platte/Sullivan Lakes, Minnesocold

I attach a floating key chain to all of mine a couple of years ago. Haven’t lost one since.

FryDog62
    Participant

I attach a floating key chain to all of mine a couple of years ago. Haven’t lost one since.

Great idea!

KPE
    Participant
    River Falls, WI

Your pic reminds me of when I had a #7 jointed rap hanging from the air vent in my truck. Reached in one day to grab the keys out of the ignition, ended up just like your pic.

The funny part was after 10 minutes of fiddling around with the old “push it through and cut off the barb method” I just grabbed a pliers and pulled it out. Didn’t hurt at all, that’s the right way to do it IMO.

Rodwork
    Participant
    Farmington, MN

The funny part was after 10 minutes of fiddling around with the old “push it through and cut off the barb method” I just grabbed a pliers and pulled it out. Didn’t hurt at all, that’s the right way to do it IMO.

Once I got someone who was not scared to give it a yank backwards with some fishing line it was out before I knew it. Trick everyone should know.

One thing they don’t say in the clip is to push down to help crate a gap for the barb to come out when you pull back.

fishthumper
    Participant
    Sartell, MN.

“… if buying one and there was two different sizes I’d opt for the larger ones..”
    ——————————-
    Totally agree, I had a larger one for years that worked flawlessly until a buddy dropped it in the drink. So in a pinch, I bought one at a local tackle shop… it was one of the smaller ones. Next time out, jaws spread, digging the hook out and “BOING” the fish came back to life and the spreaders went sailing through the air and back in the drink..

The BOING of a Jaw spreader going into the drink is bad enough. The Boing of a mouth spreader just before it puts a nice gash right above you eye is even worse. Was working on removing hooks from a BIG pike onetime and bumped the spreader with the Pliers and the spreader came shooting at my face. Felt it hit me above my eye. Didn’t think much of it until a few moments later felt blood running down my face and into my eye. Asked my partner what was going on and he said I had a nice gash above my eye. It ended up not being real bad but did bleed a fair amount. My buddy said that the big pike got the last laugh on that one.

fishthumper
    Participant
    Sartell, MN.

<div class=”ido-oembed-wrap”><iframe loading=”lazy” title=”Fish hook removal technique” width=”850″ height=”638″ src=”https://www.youtube.com/embed/sKAAGWZskGg?feature=oembed&#8221; frameborder=”0″ allow=”accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture” allowfullscreen=””></iframe></div>
    One thing they don’t say in the clip is to push down to help crate a gap for the barb to come out when you pull back.

The Key to that method is the Whisky !!!!

FryDog62
    Participant

“…Was working on removing hooks from a BIG pike onetime and bumped the spreader with the Pliers and the spreader came shooting at my face. Felt it hit me above my eye. Didn’t think much of it until a few moments later felt blood running down my face and into my eye. Asked my partner what was going on and he said I had a nice gash above my eye…”
    —————————————

If you could time that mishap around Halloween, you could alter your otherwise good looks with a perfect Frankenstein scar..!

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.