Chain-o-Lakes Muskies – 6/2/2013

• the_popper
    Participant
    Suburbs of Chicago, IL

My Bossman and I got out musky hunting on Sunday in Northern Illinois. This was the first time either of us had ever targeted the big toothy critters. It was an overcast day with air temps just below water temps. Around 9:30am Bossman landed this 40″ clear musky on a DT14-Chartreuse and Brown. We spent the day working hard for another, trolling and casting big baits. We were rewarded with huge northerns(for the lake). About an hour before we had to get off the lake I ended up hooking into this 38″ spotted musky on a huge inline spinner. All I can say is, this is an addiction I was not ready for.

http://www.chitown-angler.com/pichosting/albums/userpics/21494/Dans_Ski_400.jpg

http://www.chitown-angler.com/pichosting/albums/userpics/21494/Tylers_Ski_400.jpg

We’re heading out again tomorrow. Are there any lures I absolutely NEED in my Musky arsenal? I have a couple Storm Thunderbeasts, and a few doublebladed inline spinners. ANy and all suggestions are welcome and appreciated.

a.j.-wiesner
    Participant
    Ely,MN / Rochester,MN

My personal favorite lures to fish are showgirls and Lilly tails reeled as fast as POSSIBLE!! You wouldn’t believe how fast you can reel these baits and trigger super aggressive bites.

Another staple for me is topwater baits… In that category I would recommend a pacemaker for prop bait and a doc for a walk the dog.

Glide baits such as phantoms,hellhounds and mantas work very well to trigger neutral fish or fish in colder waters.

And a very common lure called the bulldog rounds out the list. These lures can be trolled, cast, deep or shallow… If you ask me these lures shine while ripped thru and above weed lines. It takes quite a bit of technique but once it is mastered its a pattern few people take advantage of.

Glad to hear you caught the musky bug… Post up some pictures and don’t be a stranger in the Muskie forum!

a.j.-wiesner
    Participant
    Ely,MN / Rochester,MN

Last tip: make sure you have the correct tools and release gear for good CPR. I’m not saying you didn’t… Just some advice.hook cutters,jaw spreaders, and needle nose are a must along with a net or cradle. Muskies are the biggest and toughest predator in the water but once in your hands they become very fragile. Keep casting and go catch a giant!!

692fisherman
    Participant
    champlin mn

i have some family in northern il. what lake if you dont mind me as…….. not expecting you to gove up the name but just thought i would ask!

the_popper
    Participant
    Suburbs of Chicago, IL

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

692fisherman – PM Sent

jsprosty
    Participant
    Soldiers Grove, WI

My first time Muskie fishing I caught……..nothing great job guys!

the_popper
    Participant
    Suburbs of Chicago, IL

I just figured out how to get photos up.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.