Ignorant Pontoon Operators

• navtiller
    Participant
    chippewa falls

It happened again today! While spot locked a cast length from shore, a pontoon driver viewing lake property cuts between me and the shore. I made eye contact with the driver and gestured for him to go around me on the outside, but he was too ignorant or self-important to go around me. This happens to me several time a year. I know I shouldn’t get upset with them, but they are so oblivious its infuriating! OK, done venting.

buck-slayer
    Participant

Yes there are to many dumbass’s on our lake too. That’s why you don’t carry a gun in the boat.

Eelpoutguy
    Participant
    Farmington, Outing

Yeah, some pontooners out there are just stupid/careless. I’ve been cork fishing off the dock and they’d run over my line if I don’t point and say something.

gimruis
    Participant
    Plymouth, MN

Pontoons used to bother me like that too. So did jet skis. Now its primarily just wake boats creating tsunamis.

Steve Root
    Participant
    South St. Paul, MN

Last June we were fishing a shore line, and had a pontoon run through about two feet of water between us and shore. The guy had the nerve to ask me how the fishing was !!! I told him it was good until some idiot runs his pontoon in the way. He had some choice words, and I’m sure he learned a few words and phrases from me. According to the resort owner the guy is a notorious drunk who does this all the time.

SR

Walleye Man42
    Participant

its a big problem in the Alexandria area also. It seems like there are more and more pontoon owners and they don’t pay attention to anybody else.

Iowaboy1
    Participant

Yeah, some pontooners out there are just stupid/careless. I’ve been cork fishing off the dock and they’d run over my line if I don’t point and say something.

How does that work when you run over your own set-up??

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

Take an old beater rod/reel and tie on a 1 oz jig. Keep it handy. A well placed cast bouncing that jig off the side of the boat will send the needed message. devil

-J.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Participant
    Prescott

Wave hi to them. They obviously don’t know any different and had zero intention of riling you up.

I.e. you pissed yourself off.

Fish more (encounter more) and you can either choose to be pist everyday or forgive and enjoy the day. Your choice.

Bearcat89
    Participant
    North branch, mn

Wave hi to them. They obviously don’t know any different and had zero intention of riling you up.

Fish more (encounter more) and you can either choose to be pist everyday or forgive and enjoy the day. Your choice.

I try to do this as well. Or just tell them what they did. Usually works and makes them more aware. I get mad when another fisherman does this. And that happens all the time

matt
    Participant

When they drive them in the shallows like that it destroys/chops up all of the weedbeds as well.Then every few days they have to go and rake all the weeds up on their manicured beaches/shorelines only to urine and moan the lake is to weedy and needs to be sprayed.

stout93
    Participant
    Becker MN

A few weeks ago an ignorant bass fisherman was casting toward my dock and hit his rapala on my pontoon.

gimruis
    Participant
    Plymouth, MN

A few weeks ago an ignorant bass fisherman was casting toward my dock and hit his rapala on my pontoon.

Did you do anything about it? For this very reason I refuse to use any hardbaits or treble hooked lures around docks anymore. And if the person is present, I don’t even fish the dock. I just go past it to the next one.

bzzsaw
    Participant
    Hudson, Wi

I’m on the same lake as Buckslayer. We troll the weedline (shoreline) for muskies most weekends. It happens most weekends. I try to keep an eye out for them so I can reel in if they look like they are going to hit my lines. I will also try to warn them ahead of time that I have lines back there. I don’t think they have bad intentions. But there are a few aholes that don’t care if your fishing, they think they have the right to go there as much as I do. I’ve developed a pretty mean stink eye.

stout93
    Participant
    Becker MN

I’m on the same lake as Buckslayer. We troll the weedline (shoreline) for muskies most weekends. It happens most weekends. I try to keep an eye out for them so I can reel in if they look like they are going to hit my lines. I will also try to warn them ahead of time that I have lines back there. I don’t think they have bad intentions. But there are a few aholes that don’t care if your fishing, they think they have the right to go there as much as I do. I’ve developed a pretty mean stink eye.

???

Eelpoutguy
    Participant
    Farmington, Outing

How does that work when you run over your own set-up??
    [/quote]

Yeah, let’s just keep that in your back pocket. doah rotflol rotflol rotflol

Ralph Wiggum
    Participant
    Maple Grove, MN

Pontoons used to bother me like that too. So did jet skis. Now its primarily just wake boats creating tsunamis.

I thought you had moved on to electric scooters. I’ll be out making tsunamis this weekend.

gimruis
    Participant
    Plymouth, MN

I thought you had moved on to electric scooters. I’ll be out making tsunamis this weekend.

I know you will! Enjoy

BigWerm
    Participant
    SW Metro

Winner winner, peaceful dinner!

suzuki
    Participant
    Woodbury, Mn

As hard as it is to believe not everybody fishes and hunts so they can be oblivious to those that do. AND not all fisherman and hunters are conservative. Let that little chestnut sink in. mrgreen
    My dock is on a channel so I probably have more close encounters with pontoons than most. Yes I have to reel my line in for them ALL THE TIME. Sometimes I am not happy with them….

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Last fall I was anchored in the middle of the river near the dam. One fisherman/guide kept trolling around me in 30 fow and kept getting closer. Not a problem in my book. Just made a note to self to be careful when bringing in the anchor for stick baits stuck to it.

As luck would have it, my guest wanted to cast my bait caster. I forgot to check to see if the line was free and when cast, the 4 oz sinker went 90 degrees from where it was to end up and about 5′ from the side of this guy that was fishing uncomfortably close to me.

I kinda sank down into my chair while the person that was trying to cast laughed at the mistake.

All is good…until the fisherman took to his FB page and ripped me a new rear end for endangering the people he had in his boat. LOL!

FBRM is correct. We make ourselves mad.

KPE
    Participant
    River Falls, WI

Just this past weekend I was fishing a 3100 acre lake in northern MN. I was the only boat on the lake. Pontoon comes off the southern shoreline, probably a quarter mile away, and drives, I kid you not, 5 feet in front of my boat. I was smack dab in the middle of the lake dragging lindys at 1.25 mph. I almost couldn’t believe it. No sense in getting worked up, just give a nice loud WTF and keep doing what I’m doing

John Rasmussen
    Participant
    Blaine

I try to follow what FBRM said because I know he’s right. It’s just so GD hard with all these a holes around!

duh queen
    Participant

“A few weeks ago an ignorant bass fisherman…” …but you repeat yourself… jester
    Just kidding!

duh queen
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>bzzsaw wrote:</div>

???

Back when Tribal spearing was getting guys riled up in WI, the state assembly passed a law making it a felony to knowingly and intentionally interfere with the legal pursuit of fish and game. Little did they think that it could apply in instances like this.

iowa_josh
    Participant

Must be a Minnesota thing? Pretty peaceful down here but I avoid busy times. Is it all passive aggressive because people own a tiny piece of lakefront and want to make everybody aware of it?

Matt Moen
    Participant
    South Minneapolis

It happened again today! While spot locked a cast length from shore, a pontoon driver viewing lake property cuts between me and the shore. I made eye contact with the driver and gestured for him to go around me on the outside, but he was too ignorant or self-important to go around me. This happens to me several time a year. I know I shouldn’t get upset with them, but they are so oblivious its infuriating! OK, done venting.

I was working all day instead of fishing. Imagine how infuriating that was.

All about your perspective I guess….

supercat
    Participant
    Eau Claire, WI

Must be a Minnesota thing?

That’s because the pontoon drivers are all from Iowa lol.

stevenoak
    Participant

Perfect lure for people fishing too close.

Attachments:
    1. 20190513_0757378975-scaled.jpg

Wallyhntr1
    Participant
    Tonka

All from Iowa? They’ll stir up a comment from wrong way hah

What I’ve found over the many years of Tonka fishing, is that an old spool of 4-6lb test, say a hundred yards of it with a lead weight casted to shore in front of the &#$@%, gets wound in the prop quite well…. Gotta be quick with a knife just before he spools ya, you don’t want that gunshot sound of the line breaking….

Hmmm, how I know this trick makes me wonder as I’ve never tested it out whistling whistling

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 59 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.