If you had $500 which one would you buy??

• joe_the_fisher
    Participant
    Wisconsin Dells WI

Which auger on the market would you buy if you wanted to spend $500 or less?? I know Nils is the best but I don’t have that much to spend…thanks!

Kent Tau
    Participant

Lazer pro or lazer mag either is good. Just use a good synthetic 2 cycle oil. I use amsoil sabre on my lazer mag. Never had any issues.. drilled over 400 holes last and this year.

crappielover89
    Participant

lazer mag or pro no questions asked!!!!

meestro
    Participant

Buy an 8″ Nils ($190) and use your electric hand drill attachment if you are hole hopping. (make sense?)

If you plan to drill a handful of holes you don’t even need the drill.

It is really nice to carry the Nils around (lightweight, no batteries, no fuel, no worries if it gets cold, no motor maintenance)

Ask yourself how many holes you punch on an average outing.

If it is less than 10 I think Nils hand auger is the way to go.

Kent Tau
    Participant

I have the honda lite and the lazer mag .. at times I feel the honda isn’t fast enough especially when the bite is hot and the drilling is slow. Sometimes both me and my brother we drilled together. The benefits to a more powerful auger is that use can use a bigger bit if needed and if your blades get a little dull you’ll still be able to drill good amount of holes. With the honda I find sharp blades are best. Just my experience. .

Wharf Rat
    Participant
    Mahtomedi

I bought an ION last year and really like it, but if I were buying one this year with the same rough budget I would buy a K-Drill.
    http://icefishingtoday.com/ice-fishing-products/k-drill-electric-ice-auger-system/
    The 8″ versions with the drill exceed your budget a bit, but the benefits of this system are pretty cool. System weight of 10 pounds, two batteries included, and the drill can be used for other things year-round.

hamms
    Participant
    Mn

I’m with bee! Tanaka all the way. Light weight no plastic handles and industrial motor. I have a 6″ nils and an 8″ mora for mine cuts awesome. Very light at 20 pounds. Look up a video on one.

JoeMX1825
    Participant
    MN

Ion for me, love the thing…

Cp3
    Participant
    Hammond, WI

Is that Tanaka Power Head almost the same thing as the Nils?

hamms
    Participant
    Mn

It is same power head. Tanaka 270. Nils is just the auger they mate to it. You can have any adapter made or bought for the auger you choose. Picking a shaver style is key though. This is a fast setup and doesn’t need the big hp cause of how efficient it is. It’s a 1.35 hp. Nils, mora hand auger very good cutting.

bee
    Participant
    Maine

Here is a little visual in site as to what you can do with a Gas Drill power head. The Auger on the left is an Echo drill that I converted to an ice auger. All 5 of those augers can and are used with the same power head. They are 3 Mora’s 6-7and 8 inch. The Nils 8 in. And an Older Snabb 6in auger that I converted to power use. The Echo that I own is a smaller displacement motor and will only handle the 6 in. Bits. The Tanaka will power them all and does.

Kent Tau
    Participant

I had the same idea at one point but too lazy to do it. I’ve always thought that seems like hand auger will be nicer as they are lighter. Blades are cheaper..the adapter part was getting done by my brother who have access to a cnc machine. I think it would be a nice setup with any hand auger.

tswoboda
    Participant

Hamms and Bee are right on. I have the Tanaka motor with a 7″/8″ Mora on it (both size blades fit on the same auger flight). It drills as fast or faster than a Solo Lazer, runs quiet as a weed wacker, and the set up weighs 19 lbs with an extension on it and full of fuel.

The Tanaka motor is not the same caliber of motors used on other augers, it’s like comparing Black and Decker to Dewalt. Mora blades are only $30 for a new set and the old ones can be sharpened.

JD Winston
    Inactive
    Chanhassen, MN

Are those Tanaka engines jetted or optimized for cold weather? This approach to drills really appeals to the “gadget collector” in me.

bee
    Participant
    Maine

Are those Tanaka engines jetted or optimized for cold weather? This approach to drills really appeals to the “gadget collector” in me.

A big yes.

JD Winston
    Inactive
    Chanhassen, MN

JD Winston wrote:

A big yes.

Dang, and I thought I was done buying stuff this year. lol

bee
    Participant
    Maine

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>bee wrote:</div>
    JD Winston wrote:

A big yes.

Dang, and I thought I was done buying stuff this year. lol

One more purchase and then you can sell the others. Even wash.

JD Winston
    Inactive
    Chanhassen, MN

One more purchase and then you can sell the others. Even wash.

Hi, I’m JD, we haven’t met yet. In addition to long walks on the beach, I collect crap. And lots of it. No way I sell anything. I’m the kind of guy who THINKS he needs backup gear for my backup gear. lol! Merry Christmas.

joe_the_fisher
    Participant
    Wisconsin Dells WI

Not one person talked about a jiffy….I was gonna go with the propane model just because tired of the gas smell and mixing gas. That Tanaka sounds like a nice unit. Are they 2 stroke motors??

JD Winston
    Inactive
    Chanhassen, MN

OK, I have a 4 stoke Pro4 gen2 Jiffy and might I add, LOVE IT! I’ve yet to find an auger that can keep pace with me. So easy to start, maintain and drills like a dream with that Ripper blade system they use. They are a bit heavy but I’m a big guy that can tolerate the weight. On the upside, I never once have to push down to get it to ‘bite’ or drill faster. Just hang on and it does all the work.

I originally didn’t mention them cause the Pro4 is a bit over $500 and the author specified under $500.

joe_the_fisher
    Participant
    Wisconsin Dells WI

JD, my father in law got the propane model last year and I have used it a couple times…WOW Im very impressed. Starts on 1st pull and drills awesome with that chipper blade. I can get one at L&M Fleet for $399 and free shipping.oh yeah and the weight is only 27 lbs I believe.

JD Winston
    Inactive
    Chanhassen, MN

Make sure it is the Pro 4 you are getting for that price. I heard less than favorable reviews about the Light version in production.

bee
    Participant
    Maine

Not one person talked about a jiffy….I was gonna go with the propane model just because tired of the gas smell and mixing gas. That Tanaka sounds like a nice unit. Are they 2 stroke motors??

They are 2 stroke. I run 100-1 mix Ams oil. You can put then anyplace to carry . No smell no leaks. Use very little gas. Very light weight. About 18 lbs.

joe_the_fisher
    Participant
    Wisconsin Dells WI

JD, It was a lite version…guess I stay away from that. Bee, that Tanaka model you are showing me on E-Bay…is that model for an ice auger bit and do I need a special adapter to attach augers to it? thanks.

bee
    Participant
    Maine

JD, It was a lite version…guess I stay away from that. Bee, that Tanaka model you are showing me on E-Bay…is that model for an ice auger bit and do I need a special adapter to attach augers to it? thanks.

That is the one. Yes an adapter is needed. The shaft on the Tanaka is threaded 1/2 inch by 20. You can have someone make an adapter or one can be gotten on ebay for the Mora/ lazer augers and others.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ice-Auger-Adapter-for-Cordless-Drill-Motor-Ice-Fishing-/170560089433?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27b62c6d59

riverruns
    Inactive

I have the Tanka 262R paired with a lazer hand auger. About the best setup I have ever seen! Always stays running and no recoil to start.

bee
    Participant
    Maine

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>musky nut 1 wrote:</div>

That is the one. Yes an adapter is needed. The shaft on the Tanaka is threaded 1/2 inch by 20. You can have someone make an adapter or one can be gotten on ebay for the Mora/ lazer augers and others.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ice-Auger-Adapter-for-Cordless-Drill-Motor-Ice-Fishing-/170560089433?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27b62c6d59

I should have said the person on Ebay will remove the hex shaft and drill and tap to fit the Tanaka. Just send a message to him.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 31 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.