IDO TV – "Post-Spawn Walleye Tactics – Shallow Water Stickbaits"

• In-Depth Webstaff
    Keymaster

James Holst and Andy Fiolka fish a North East South Dakota lake for walleye using a shallow-water stickbait presentation that is deadly-effective in lakes and rivers!

TripleA
    Participant
    Blaine

I love the show. It seems this season went heavy on ice fishing episodes (I love ice fishing too). Is there any plan to start later in the year or increase the amount of shows per year to get more open water fishing episodes aired? Were just about to fish the MN opener and the show is almost over for the season! Keep up the great work.

Andy Fiolka
    Participant
    Boise, Idaho

A little bird told me that it’s a distinct possibility. waytogo

TripleA
    Participant
    Blaine

Well I hope to see you on TV more often then Andy! Thanks for the little birds info.

Chuck Melcher
    Participant
    SE Wisconsin, Racine County

Took a twist from the show today on Lake Winnebago with an x rap…. picked one good eye right away. I like how it helps put new ideas out there for guys like myself that often fall into the same old habits.

Have to admit though…. it was a bit depressing hearing James say only two shows left in the season… I sure will miss them!

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

I love the show. It seems this season went heavy on ice fishing episodes (I love ice fishing too). Is there any plan to start later in the year or increase the amount of shows per year to get more open water fishing episodes aired? Were just about to fish the MN opener and the show is almost over for the season! Keep up the great work.

We’ll start mid-November as we always have done in the past. We just won’t be doing as many ice shows as we’ve done in previous years. The plan is to mix in more open water shows starting mid-February. And we will continue to end our season on or around the MN Walleye opener.

mnrabbit
    Participant
    South Central Minnesota

So in other words James, the wife and kid at home don’t want you gone nearly as much during the winter? So instead, you are going to film some episodes in the summer and air them in the winter to get you a little break. Smart man. Win win situation for all parties.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

So in other words James, the wife and kid at home don’t want you gone nearly as much during the winter? So instead, you are going to film some episodes in the summer and air them in the winter to get you a little break. Smart man. Win win situation for all parties.

I go out of my way to keep the wife happy but this is more IDO responding to viewership trends in an attempt to give people what they want. If viewers by and large want to see open water shows come late February / March, and that’s what the trends do in fact show, we’re going to give it to them.

The fact that this is going to make the wife very, very happy is what is known as a “happy accident.” mrgreen

icefanatic11
    Participant
    Birnamwood, WI

Disclaimer: I watch every IDO episode regardless of species. I was just noticing that once the calendar shifts to open water I haven’t seen any panfish episodes and if memory serves I don’t think there was any last summer either but I could be wrong. I don’t want to sound displeased because like I said I watch every show and love them all. Just curious as to why James and the crew chose to chases eyes, pike and other game-fish most of the time? I know its hard to keep everyone happy but this time of year has some great panfish bites all over the midwest and I for one would love to see some open water bull gills, slab crappies or jumbo perch. Regardless keep the shows coming, I learn something every time I watch a new episode. Keep up the good work!

Nice Fella
    Participant

I was quickly scanning the “Today’s Topics” column just now and when I came across this one I thought it said “Post-Spam Walleye Tactics”.

Aye-yai-yai, either I need better glasses or less BK.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Disclaimer: I watch every IDO episode regardless of species. I was just noticing that once the calendar shifts to open water I haven’t seen any panfish episodes and if memory serves I don’t think there was any last summer either but I could be wrong. I don’t want to sound displeased because like I said I watch every show and love them all. Just curious as to why James and the crew chose to chases eyes, pike and other game-fish most of the time? I know its hard to keep everyone happy but this time of year has some great panfish bites all over the midwest and I for one would love to see some open water bull gills, slab crappies or jumbo perch. Regardless keep the shows coming, I learn something every time I watch a new episode. Keep up the good work!

I guess the best answer I can offer is we chase the bites that we find the most enjoyable. I have to admit I overlook the panfish species once the ice melts as I don’t even really consider them an option. Of course I know that to be not true. They’re just off my radar. Which is something I’ll try to fix in the future.

Andy Fiolka
    Participant
    Boise, Idaho

I have to agree with James. After a full winter of chasing 80% panfish, it’s darn near therapeutic to get after some eyeballs in the boat on a nice February or March day. Maybe I’m the minority, but the walleye bite has to be pretty bad for me to chase panfish. Nothing wrong with them, just not my gig on soft water.

icefanatic11
    Participant
    Birnamwood, WI

Interesting takes, not that there is a right or wrong species to fish at any time or place, I just found it interesting. By all means James fish whatever you please, whenever you want to. Don’t let the hecklers like me get to you. Chase whatever species you enjoy chasing on the soft water. For me the panfish bite has to be pretty slow to go after the eyes but I guess all that shows is everyone is wired a little differently and has different preferences. Although, I have to admit I like catching the pannies better through the ice as well.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Interesting takes, not that there is a right or wrong species to fish at any time or place, I just found it interesting. By all means James fish whatever you please, whenever you want to. Don’t let the hecklers like me get to you. Chase whatever species you enjoy chasing on the soft water. For me the panfish bite has to be pretty slow to go after the eyes but I guess all that shows is everyone is wired a little differently and has different preferences. Although, I have to admit I like catching the pannies better through the ice as well.

Any time someone takes the time to point out a niche we’re overlooking I appreciate it a great deal. We can’t be all things to all anglers but we definitely know we need to cover as many species in an effort to stay as diverse as possible. I’ll do my best to work in an open water panfish bite for next open water season.

arcticm1000
    Participant
    New Richmond, WI

James and crew, thanks for doing all the walleye shows. You could do a walleye show every week as far as I am concerned. I enjoy the other shows you do also.

We went to South Dakota last weekend and tried to hit the bite you guys did on the show. We fished where you guys did on the show on Friday and all we caught were northerns. We tried a couple other spots and didn’t do much. So we went to another lake and got a few. Saturday was tougher. Sunday we just headed home.

I have a lot of respect for how hard it must be to get on a bite and get it on film. The shows are great. I look forward to getting home to watch the last one for the season.

Some friends had a open spot for this weekend. So we headed back to South Dakota. Friday was a good jig bite. Saturday was slower. We caught most the fish on crawlers. This morning was incredible. The Bx minow was the ticket. The first picture is a 25″ with a Bx Minow in it’s mouth and the second picture is a new personal best 29.5″. Both caught on the Bx minow.

Thanks for the great shows!

Attachments:
    1. IMG_0835.jpg

2. IMG_0855.jpg

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.