IDO TV – Ice Fishing Henry's Lake, ID (Episode 3, Season 10)

• In-Depth Webstaff
    Keymaster

As promised, the guys found ice! This week In-Depth Outdoors host James Holst and Pro Staff Andy Fiolka head west to Henry’s Lake in Idaho for first ice Cutthroat and Cutbow Trout!

Brennon Nielson

was you using only a bullwhip rod or what other TUCR rods were you using?

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

was you using only a bullwhip rod or what other TUCR rods were you using?

Yeah, I fished a Bullwhip. Andy fished a Precision.

Charles

Dumb question,

Do you guys pre-fish this lakes before you show them? Like have a team that comes out a week before you arrive?

troutbum
    St. Paul

What kind are those tip up rigs for your rods?

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Dumb question,

Do you guys pre-fish this lakes before you show them? Like have a team that comes out a week before you arrive?

No, we don’t have anyone prefer the lakes. We roll the dice and take our chances when we make a trip like this one.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

Again, great show James. Great to see some hard water. Not to mention the views. Unreal. Those iFish pros look pretty cool. How do they stack up to other rod-style tip ups you’ve used?

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Again, great show James. Great to see some hard water. Not to mention the views. Unreal. Those iFish pros look pretty cool. How do they stack up to other rod-style tip ups you’ve used?

Not sure. I’ve never tried anything same or similar so I’m not in a position to offer a comparison worth reading. They do work very well though and I love fighting the fish on rod and reel versus doing the hand over hand deal.

Chris

James checking out tuned up rods usually catching 10 inch plus crappies a lot of soft plastics so want very soft tip but also do a lot of red lake walleyes with buckshots. Looking at the precision vs bullwhip? Assuming bullwhip, I believe it has a little more back bone. Or do I need 2 rods?

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

James checking out tuned up rods usually catching 10 inch plus crappies a lot of soft plastics so want very soft tip but also do a lot of red lake walleyes with buckshots. Looking at the precision vs bullwhip? Assuming bullwhip, I believe it has a little more back bone. Or do I need 2 rods?

I don’t consider the Bullwhip a walleye rod and don’t think you’ll be happy using it to fish spoons for that species. The Bullwhip is intended primarily to be a pan fish rod. I’d opt for the Precision or the Commander if i was looking to add a walley rod.

Charles

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Charles wrote:</div>
    Dumb question,

No, we don’t have anyone prefer the lakes. We roll the dice and take our chances when we make a trip like this one.

That is awesome to here, alright I have to ask have then. Has rolling the dice ever bit you in the butt where the bite wasn’t there.

BTW – Awesome show love watching it with my 4 month old kid!

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

That is awesome to here, alright I have to ask have then. Has rolling the dice ever bit you in the butt where the bite wasn’t there.

So far we’re batting 1.000 on these big trips – Idaho, Winnipeg, Lake Erie, etc. But we have had trips where we show up, the bite is non-existent, and we have to scramble.

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

Great looking fish and stunning scenery!
    I saw some building’s on shore, is there lodging right on the lake?

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Great looking fish and stunning scenery!
    I saw some building’s on shore, is there lodging right on the lake?

We stayed at Drift Lodge on US 20 which is not on the lake. We did see houses/buildings on the lake so it wouldn’t surprise me if some of them were B&B’s, small lodges, etc.

Josh Bothum

Just got done watching this episode online… Beautiful scenery, and well shot. Kudos to the staff on the other side of the lens. Keep up the great work guys.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.