IDO switching from TUCR to 13Fishing? What gives?

• Bearcat89
    Participant
    North branch, mn

Lol there are so many posts on here saying how junky 13 is but now James uses them and every one is all about it.

DT
    Participant

Looks like Okuma reels got dropped as well.

Snake ii’s
    Participant

May I ask – where are the 13 rods made?

Justin riegel
    Participant

May I ask – where are the 13 rods made?

From Google:

People also ask
    Where are 13 Fishing rods made?
    the USA
    It would appear that 13 Fishing rods are assembled in the USA, built from components manufactured locally and in Asia.

buckybadger
    Participant
    Upper Midwest

Lol there are so many posts on here saying how junky 13 is but now James uses them and every one is all about it.

I can’t really form much of an opinion other than having one as a dead stick that works fine. It wasn’t expensive but has worked great for a simple application. I agree though that now they may become gospel around here for many – which is fine but also funny.

My buddy had a few $60 13 fishing combos that he took the reels off and threw them away – he claimed they were that bad even for simple panfish applications.

Hopefully their production team leans into some of James’ advice and experiences to produce some nice mid-range stuff. The $130 not so custom – Tuned Up Custom Rods are overpriced for what they are in my book. I maybe am just not serious enough about ice fishing to appreciate them though?

bigcrappie
    Participant
    Blaine

No way in He!! their stuff is made in the USA.

Michael C. Winther
    Participant
    Reedsburg, WI

No offense meant but you wouldn’t last a quick minute in the fishing biz…And that is the reason for the switch. Any additional questions don’t hesitate to ask.

That’s a professional response @jamesholst

And, “no offense meant,” but it’s a touch surprising that as someone who has lasted more than “a quick minute in the fishing biz” you didn’t get out in front of this story to set the narrative about the change before being asked or having people draw their own conclusions.

No horse in this race, as i don’t ice fish, just an observer.

Ripjiggen
    Participant

Can’t believe how much people care. Or is it everyone bought Tuned up and feel that it wasn’t necessary.

CaptainMusky
    Participant

“no offense meant,” but it’s a touch surprising that as someone who has lasted more than “a quick minute in the fishing biz” you didn’t get out in front of this story to set the narrative about the change before being asked or having people draw their own conclusions.

No horse in this race, as i don’t ice fish, just an observer.

Why would he need to do that? Doesnt make any sense to me. Do you see racecar drivers or anyone who carries sponsors “getting out in front” of sponsor changes? Its a dang business and we all know why people do it. Enjoyment and to earn a living.

CaptainMusky
    Participant

Can’t believe how much people care. Or is it everyone bought Tuned up and feel that it wasn’t necessary.

Nailed it. I admit early on when the IDO crew used Otter and Marcums I viewed it as vindication for me that I made the right choice in my purchases. Nowadays I could really care less what people use, but I like to see different products and how they work in real life before throwing my money around.

Bearcat89
    Participant
    North branch, mn

Well come on man, most here I see have to have what they have. Been seeing that for years.

Dutchboy
    Participant
    Central Mn.

In the Garden Of Eden Eve showed Adam a advertisement for the wonders of the forbidden fruit. Advertising has been around ever since. False advertising as well.

fishthumper
    Participant
    Sartell, MN.

No offense and Nothing against you James. But in the industry you are in $’s are almost always a factor. I’m not saying there is anything wrong with that. If your reason is different than most, Good for you. You stated Opportunity as one of your reasons. The opportunity to have a hand in, and add Input in helping create rods. My guess is that you are not doing that for free ( If I’m wrong on this, correct me ) As far as people in the industry making changes in the name of $’s and not lasting but a few years goes, there are MANY people who have done so many times throughout their career’s and have lasted as long, if not much longer than you have been in the industry. Now if this change leads to rods being built with the same quality and performance as a custom rod in the 65.00 Price point, Great. Rather or not they can do so with the product being built here in the USA or not will need to be seen. I look forward to following the outcome from this change. To be clear, I have no problem with anyone making as much money as possible from their stills and knowledge. That is what makes living in this country so great.

MX1825
    Participant

I’ve had most of my custom rods for several years because when I bought them most of the mass production rods were crap. Poor blanks, poor eyelets, bad lengths, etc. Say what you want but the BIG manufacturers didn’t get on the nicer rods until the last few years. Part of that maybe is because of James and IDO TV.
    As far as Clam, Otter, Eskimo shacks there is very little difference. The Otter sled is the best but the rest is very similar in just a different color.
    JMO

Joe Jarl
    Participant
    SW Wright County

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Ripjiggen wrote:</div>

Nailed it. I admit early on when the IDO crew used Otter and Marcums I viewed it as vindication for me that I made the right choice in my purchases. Nowadays I could really care less what people use, but I like to see different products and how they work in real life before throwing my money around.

Ditto. And this applies to a lot of other threads on this forum. It’s amazing how much people care about what other people do or spend their money on.

Eelpoutguy
    Participant
    Farmington, Outing

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Ripjiggen wrote:</div>

Well come on man, most here I see have to have what they have. Been seeing that for years.

Not me that’s for sure, now whats the 13fishing website address again.
    Anyone wanna buy a bunch a TUCR’s? rotflol

Bearcat89
    Participant
    North branch, mn

Say what you want but the BIG manufacturers didn’t get on the nicer rods until the last few years. Part of that maybe is because of James and IDO TV.
    As far as Clam, Otter, Eskimo shacks there is very little difference. The Otter sled is the best but the rest is very similar in just a different color.
    JMO[/quote]

Doubt it has anything to do with ido. Most every fisherman I know doesn’t watch or pay attention to any form of this website and or you tube videos. They stepped it up because that’s where the market has lead. Everything has come a long way in the last few years, especially if you run back 10 years.

Rodwork
    Participant
    Farmington, MN

I am not sure if many people know this but the IDO show is not the only thing James does. I can’t wait to see what products are produce from his input.

slipperybob
    Participant
    Lil'Can, MN

If anyone followed 13 Fishing when they started it was budget friendly rods. Then they started to build better stuff. I still remember the first year when 13 fishing rods came out on retail and they were some of the most expensive ice rods and that’s going back to the Dave Genz gold rods and around one Ben. They were off my radar for long time afterwards, before I knew it there were a whole bunch of budget 13 Fishing rods flooding the market. Yea, did they break under use and abuse.

However one thing I will give to 13 Fishing is that they showed the most innovations to the ice fishing scene. Even when they had the super heavy Teardrop reel concept. Or how they created a daughter company CGI. Then how they were developing the Archangel series, but that kind of flopped on the ice rods compared to the full sized rods. Finally their inline reels that flood the ice rod market that sure takes a storm in conversations.

MX1825
    Participant

Say what you want but the BIG manufacturers didn’t get on the nicer rods until the last few years. Part of that maybe is because of James and IDO TV.
    JMO

Doubt it has anything to do with ido. Most every fisherman I know doesn’t watch or pay attention to any form of this website and or you tube videos. They stepped it up because that’s where the market has lead. Everything has come a long way in the last few years, especially if you run back 10 years.
    [/quote]

And who led the market? Most all of the TV shows. The ice belt is a small area of the US. MN, WI, MI, Dakotas, and a little bit of IA for the most part. The Midwest TV shows are what made the major manufacturers upgrade their products.

Bearcat89
    Participant
    North branch, mn

They had to step up I’d think because small rod shops took major leaps. But I have no idea. I find the TV shows very boring from most out door guys. So I don’t follow. I like the forum to talk real life products

mahtofire14
    Participant
    Mahtomedi, MN

Guys switch brands all the time. Sometimes it’s for the $$, many times it’s the way they were treated by certain brands, other times it’s for a new opportunity or to try new products.

I don’t understand why everyone gets so butthurt over who’s using what brand and why. Find the gear you like, buy it, use it, and don’t give a rip about what other people are using. There’s plenty for everybody.

crappie55369
    Participant
    Mound, MN

Only fishing rods I’ve broken in the last 10 years have both been 13 fishing. One open water and one ice rod. One was my fault but the same action with other rods didn’t result in a broken rod. One was most certainly a result of poor manufacturing.

In any event glad for the new opportunity for you James. Change is good and whenever they come out with the new designs I’d be willing to try them again

JGilby
    Participant

Want to start by saying I really enjoy the IDO shows. I just find it interesting James uses the cost of custom rods being a factor in the switch. He says $120-$200 rods is not a healthy trend or direction for what is a very niche industry. He doesn’t see this as sustainable but is using $2500-$3000 fish finder ice fishing.

Don Meier
    Participant
    Butternut Wisconsin

Love my St Croix Ice and open water rods. Appreciate better engineering and components . If 13 Fishing can improve , all the power to them .

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Want to start by saying I really enjoy the IDO shows. I just find it interesting James uses the cost of custom rods being a factor in the switch. He says $120-$200 rods is not a healthy trend or direction for what is a very niche industry. He doesn’t see this as sustainable but is using $2500-$3000 fish finder ice fishing.

I don’t feel your comparison is a fair one. Those fancy sonar units provide features that cannot be replicated at half the price and make a significant difference in catch rate for those that put in the time to learn how to use it. If you know of a way to replicate the performance of Live Imaging or 360 sonar at half the price, the industry is all ears.

I cannot say the same thing about high end ice rods. Can the performance largely be replicated by rods at a lower price point? To a very large degree, yes.

mahtofire14
    Participant
    Mahtomedi, MN

I have also been someone who has used 13 Fishing gear in the past and not been impressed with the quality. However, over the past couple years they have brought in some highly regarded professional anglers to help them improve the quality of their gear (rods specifically). Here is a video from one of my favorite bass anglers who switched to 13 and broke a rod on a Bassmaster Elite Series live stream. People were getting on him about why he was using 13 rods because he breaks them every now and then. He tell’s you why in this video I thought it was an awesome response and one customers should be happy about.

“That’s why I signed with 13. They were the only ones that would let me test the rods before they hit the shelves.” I gained a lot more respect for the company after hearing that.

I suspect James will have the same approach and motivation.

Rodwork
    Participant
    Farmington, MN

“That’s why I signed with 13. They were the only ones that would let me test the rods before they hit the shelves.” I gained a lot more respect for the company after hearing that.

That is one fantastic response. applause

shockers
    Participant
    Rochester

I guess I don’t really understand what James’ “input” to 13 will be, but if it ends up resulting in high value/quality ice rods at a lower price point, I’m all for it. He’s right that the higher priced rods for ice fishing last few years seem a tad excessive.

I also get that it’s a business, but at least for me there’s a ‘trust issue’ too. I have trusted James and crew and greatly value their advice and I do indeed watch what they use. I bought a TUCR rod or two solely because they have used/recommended it. I sneezed on one and it busted, so that sorta sucked. But…I replaced it under warranty and it’s hands down the best ice rod/rods I have. Same deal with my Striker gear.

Also…the fact that James is commenting/giving responses on this thread I respect. A lot of folks would just ignore the comments, so appreciate him being willing to engage.

Looking forward to this ice season. I hope they can top ‘lipping a laker’ episode. My favorite.

slipperybob
    Participant
    Lil'Can, MN

I always like it too when James gives his perspective. It really expands my own thought process too.

And everyone has an opinion too, and their own way of fishing too.

Viewing 30 posts - 31 through 60 (of 104 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.