IDO Member Survey-Walleye Limit?

• glenn57
    Participant
    cold spring mn

I’m am out of stater and haven’t kept over a 4 daily limit, I do believe that for the few times out of staters fish in your state we should be able to bring home double the daily bag limit. Thanks for asking for my input.
    Joe

would you’d state allow me to do the same???

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

would you’d state allow me to do the same???

They always have Glenn… Here’s some more current info.

“Based on overwhelming support received during public meetings in March, Iowa DNR is extending current length limits in Mississippi River Pools 12-20 to now include the entire Mississippi River in Iowa. This change will reflect regulation changes in Minnesota and Wisconsin waters of Pools 9-12. The entire Iowa/Wisconsin and Iowa/Illinois Mississippi River boundary waters will now have uniform walleye regulations posted at access areas:

All walleyes less than 15 inches long and between 20-27 inches long must be immediately released.
    Only one walleye greater than 27 inches long can be harvested per day.
    Combined walleye/sauger daily harvest limit of 6 and possession limit of 12.
    In 2003, a 20-27 inch protected slot limit on walleyes was put in place on the Upper Mississippi River in Pools 12-20. Very positive changes have occurred from this protected slot limit including an increase in size and number of walleyes, an increase in natural reproduction by protecting mature females, and greater trophy walleye opportunities for anglers. Changes apply to only walleyes on the Mississippi River. Panfish limits on the Iowa side of the Mississippi River will not change.”

glenn57
    Participant
    cold spring mn

BK, that’s border waters. If I understand chars guides post correctly, he is saying if minnesota regs say a walleye limit is 6 he is saying he should be able to take 12 home?????

I’m no fish limit expert but I don’t believe I can take a double limit from any state I don’t live in.???

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

I don’t have time to look up IA inland waters now but we have plenty of Iowa experts here.

The possession limit in IOWA is 2 daily limits so he could take 10 home (on his second day of fishing) where in MN we can only take 6 home…at least until we get out of the state.

Right?

IOWA Inland waters
    Daily Bag & Possession Limit: Combined daily 5 and combined possession limit of 10, except for special lakes listed below and boundary lakes listed on p. 16.

(Edited)

glenn57
    Participant
    cold spring mn

I don’t have time to look up IA inland waters now but we have plenty of Iowa experts here.

The possession limit is 2 daily limits so he could take 12 home (on his second day of fishing) where in MN we can only take 6 home…at least until we get out of the state.

Right?

that’s the way I understand it but in that scenario I should be able to take 24 home from his state of I read his post correctly.

Keep in mind I AM NOT trying to start anything just trying to understand. More like this reprocipity thing??? Either way I ain’t taking no chance of getting busted crossing borders over the limit.

Eelpoutguy
    Participant
    Farmington, Outing

Glenn, I believe you can in/from SD.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Stop starting things Glenn! smirk

I’ve edited my above post for out of the book accuracy. Most states around MN have a two day possession limit and make no distinction between you or Iowa Boy. whistling

glenn57
    Participant
    cold spring mn

Glenn, I believe you can in/from SD.

there’s fish in south Dakota whistling rotflol

glenn57
    Participant
    cold spring mn

Stop starting things Glenn! smirk

I’ve edited my above post for out of the book accuracy. Most states around MN have a two day possession limit and make no distinction between you or Iowa Boy. whistling

rotflol OK I give. toast

eyeguy507
    Participant
    SE MN

Back in the day you could catch your limit in by 10am on UPRL around the spring opener. That lake spoiled me forever and it’s been close to 8 years since I wet a line there.
    I will catch a limit on P4 once every 5 outings but rarely keep. I stop fishing when the water gets warm enough to swim in and resume back in the fall.
    I would say I keep 20 eyes per year.

Netguy
    Participant
    Minnetonka

Back in the day you could catch your limit in by 10am on UPRL around the spring opener.

Did you hit the water at 9:00? It’s still back in the day on URL. yay

Matt Waste
    Participant

My first trip to LOW when I was 19 I kept my limit. My first trip to Red I kept 4. I have had plenty of opportunities to max out on other bodies of water and at times have kept 3, but generally speaking if I am keeping it is 1-2 fish. I think a fair limit is 3 fish. I would be ok with more if trophies we’re not allowed to be kept, I know I’ll catch flack for that but if you can keep 4-5 fish and none over say even 23” I think that would work. My own preference is 15-18 for eating, unless it’s bleeding bad then discretion comes into play

Deuces
    Participant

Limit = how many fish can the mass keep yet still keep harvestable populations intact for years down the road.

Most ” natural walleye factory” lakes have special regs on them already.

Most walleye lakes in MN are stocked, so as of now they can’t even keep up to the “demand”.

Have to forgive me Andy for being suspicious of surveys, I’ve seen enough from my city leaders lately that ask what they want to hear and I know that’s not your intention.

But I ask the question, generally, how much easier was it to catch a walleye 35 years ago?

IDO is not average joe’s. Most average joe’s I know, it’s in their DNA to not allow a walleye to swim away from their boat. It’s getting kept, hence the reason for so many dam lakes in our state that have walleyes but hardly anyone will catch 6 at a time.

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Participant
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

Limit = how many fish can the mass keep yet still keep harvestable populations intact for years down the road.

Most ” natural walleye factory” lakes have special regs on them already.

Most walleye lakes in MN are stocked, so as of now they can’t even keep up to the “demand”.

Have to forgive me Andy for being suspicious of surveys, I’ve seen enough from my city leaders lately that ask what they want to hear and I know that’s not your intention.

But I ask the question, generally, how much easier was it to catch a walleye 35 years ago?

IDO is not average joe’s. Most average joe’s I know, it’s in their DNA to not allow a walleye to swim away from their boat. It’s getting kept, hence the reason for so many dam lakes in our state that have walleyes but hardly anyone will catch 6 at a time.

You pretty much summed up my thoughts Nick. Good perspective.

This survey was never meant to be all that scientific, rather to possibly confirm what I (and evidently many others) experiences are most common.

And just as I suspected…

1. The overall challenge for many in reaching a full 6 walleye daily limit.

2. The preference or decision to take less than the allowed limit, only keeping what they felt would provide enough for themselves or a family meal.

I thought this was revealing especially when thinking about the new proposed limit reduction.

Personally right now I’m neutral on the proposed change.

I’m glad we went through this little exercise, a lot of great input. Certainly I’m aware that the demographics on this forum don’t necessarily represent all anglers. I do believe more casual anglers may be more likely to keep every legal fish, but also more likely to lack knowledge and skills to accomplish catching a limit.

Thank you all for commenting and sharing, it stayed civil and no judgement on my part no matter what they practice.

One last thing, it’s fairly obvious how important even an occasional fish fry is for many. A tradition that must continue.

I’d have more fish fry’s myself if only I could figure out how catch a couple. crazy wink

big_g
    Participant
    Isle, MN

So in theory, for the C & R crowd… if the limit is reduced to 2 fish… and studies show mortality rate of 25% of C&R fish, should you stop fishing at 8 fish caught ? Then how long until your next outing ? Is it really about the resource or the act of fishing.

gimruis
    Participant
    Plymouth, MN

Is it really about the resource or the act of fishing.

It’s more about how you’re fishing and what time of year it is when it comes to C & R. Warm months are hard on fish and live bait results in higher mortality than artificial lures do too. Passive styles of fishing such as bobber fishing, lindy rigging, tip ups, rattle reels, etc are some common types of fishing where you essentially wait for a bite and let them eat it. These types of fishing, especially using live bait, result in higher mortality even when the intent is to catch and release.

big_g
    Participant
    Isle, MN

Yes agreed…. so the question is then, can you C&R all week without limit ? I have often put this scenario out and believe it is very probable for walleye… Bass may be heartier and not targeted through the ice, so it really is geared toward walleye bag limits. Angler “A” fishes on Saturday morning (dragging the sand) he catches his limit of 4 walleyes, it took him 14 fish to find 4 in the harvest slot, so of the 10 he released, lets say 2 perish. So he caught 14 fish and 6 are removed from the population. Angler “B” strictly is C&R, he catches 26 total fish on Saturday and another 14 on Sunday before he heads home. That’s 40 walleye total, using the same mortality average, 8 of his released fish perish. Should there be any kind of regulation on C&R ?

gimruis
    Participant
    Plymouth, MN

Should there be any kind of regulation on C&R ?

Boy, that would be virtually impossible to enforce. But I see your point.

Billy J
    Participant

We should leave limits the way they are. Imho

al-wichman
    Participant
    SE Wisconsin

Yes agreed…. so the question is then, can you C&R all week without limit ? I have often put this scenario out and believe it is very probable for walleye… Bass may be heartier and not targeted through the ice, so it really is geared toward walleye bag limits. Angler “A” fishes on Saturday morning (dragging the sand) he catches his limit of 4 walleyes, it took him 14 fish to find 4 in the harvest slot, so of the 10 he released, lets say 2 perish. So he caught 14 fish and 6 are removed from the population. Angler “B” strictly is C&R, he catches 26 total fish on Saturday and another 14 on Sunday before he heads home. That’s 40 walleye total, using the same mortality average, 8 of his released fish perish. Should there be any kind of regulation on C&R ?

I’ve never thought about that. That really does make you think about C&R and how it affects the population. I’ve seen it plenty on the local lakes here in SE Wisconsin. Winnebago has plenty of evidence that happening. Even some of the smaller local tournaments probably have a high mortality rate.

gimruis
    Participant
    Plymouth, MN

Even some of the smaller local tournaments probably have a high mortality rate.

I know that a lot of the walleye tournaments during the open water season have gone to CPR (Catch Photo Release). I think its becoming more of a widely-accepted practice. Even lakes that have specific slot size restrictions are doing this because it allows tournament anglers to target the biggest fish in the system rather than targeting a specific size in the slot. So its more like a bass tournament without the weigh in.

big_g
    Participant
    Isle, MN

I know the MTT did have some no kill tourneys on Mille Lacs, before they were popular and before the photo records. You would weigh your fish and then they were returned to the lake, in a corral. After a few hours, the floaters were picked up, the others released to the greater lake and the perished ones were cleaned and donated to a Nursing home in town, for the elderly to have a fresh fish fry. I thought this was such a good idea… the mortality was not just left for the turtles and eagles and cormorants, but rather was utilized in a most generous way.

basseyes
    Participant

Bingo!

If a lake can handle a 6 fish limit, there’s no reason to change it. Just because we lower limits doesn’t mean the fishing will magically get significantly better. Especially on heavily pressured waters. There are a lot of good lakes besides the crowd drawing ones that can handle a 6 fish limit. But the pressured lakes won’t just be ok because the limits are lowered.

Guys who can catch higher numbers of fish don’t typically care about taking a limit home, and if they do once in a while it’s not killing a lake.

Just like in turn when someone struggles catching fish, lowering the limit isn’t probably going to help that person catch more fish.

Lot more to it than lowering the limit will automatically make it easier to catch fish. If people don’t understand that, that’s probably why they can’t catch fish to begin with.

Spawning habitat, spawning success and stocking survival rates all vary for many reasons and that along with food supplies are big contributing factors to how good or bad the fishing is, not solely limits or pressure.

Viewing 23 posts - 61 through 83 (of 83 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.