Christmas Break Report

• Eric Pomplun
    janesville, wisconsin

Well we just got back from our annual christmas break trip to the cabin in lake tomahawk. fishing was pretty good with good weather throughout the trip.

we got up there on monday the 27 and i made it out to a community spot on lake minoqua that usually produces some crappies. well i only managed one nice 11″ crappie. a lot of lookers but they wouldnt bite.

Day 2- my dad and i hit a little pot hole lake that we have to our selves every time we fish it. we usually pound the crappies pretty good but they were a little tougher this year as we managed 4 nice crappies and i had a decent gill flop back into the hole. we used demon jigging spoons and glow diamond jigs to catch the crappies.

Day 3- on wednesday the 29th we went to a lake that produces a lot of northerns on tip-ups. it started off slow but as the day went on the action picked up and we iced about 12 northerns and we kept 8 of them, with my sister getting the biggest one at 26 inches. we also jigged for panfish and ended up catching some really nice perch and some bluegills. we caught the perch on clown gill pills with spikes and the northerns on shiners. i also caught a 25 inch northern on my st. croix ultra light and a glow diamond jig with spikes.

Day 4- my dad and i decided to go back to the same lake. except this time we were after the perch as we brought tip downs with crappie minnows. they worked extremly well as we caught a ton of nice 9-10″ perch on them all day long. we also got some nice perch jigging again with gill pills and spikes. however the minnows seemed to work a little better. later on in the afternoon it started raining so we sat in the shack and a jig pole and watched the tip downs. it was pretty cool to watch 9-10″ perch come in and eat a minnow. i also put out 2 tip ups and ended up catching 6 northerns with a nice chunky 30 incher being the biggest. we ended up with 45 perch for the day.

day 5- i went out by my self for a few hours. i hit up stacks bay on lake minoqua and i ended up icing about 15 gills and 1 northern on a tip up.

it was fun trip and i cant wait for next year to come. the weather was pretty good. warm and sunny most of the week except thursday when it rained. we found anywhere from 6 to 12 inches of ice depending on the lake we were on. when we left there was no snow on the ice and it was extremly slick.

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

Awesome read, great trip, dang nice fish…Christmas break treated you guys very well

bosman
    DeSoto, WI

Them poor Perch laying on the ice….They can’t get away from them toothy critters chasing them no matter what they do

Richard V.
    Somewhere over the rainbow

Quote:

Them poor Perch laying on the ice….They can’t get away from them toothy critters chasing them no matter what they do

Nice write up netmann14, and that has to be a fun multi-species vacation for the whole family.

Jesse Krook
    Y.M.H.

Quote:

Awesome read, great trip, dang nice fish…Christmas break treated you guys very well

X 2 Nice fish, those are some real nice looking slimers

crappie66
    Iowa City, IA

Sounds like you have a pretty special Dad.
    Treat him well.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Very nice. Its been many years but I remember spending just about every day of xmas break on the lake.

Geerdes
    Brandon, SD 57005

nice enjoyed the article. Spent our xmas in WI catching a few. Nice post.

Pat Howard
    Sparta Wi

Great read and congrats on a nice mess of fish

Eric Pomplun
    janesville, wisconsin

thanks guys, it was a great trip. everyone had a good time and nothing to complain about.

Ron Johnsen
    Platteville wi

Great report & nice fish

Joel Ballweg
    Sauk City, Wisconsin

Sounds like a great trip.
    Congrats on all the nice fish!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.