madtown gills

• Eric Pomplun
    janesville, wisconsin

fished yesterday for about 5 hours. as i was heading out there were a lot of people coming off the ice so i asked them how the bite was and every one said it was slow and nobody had more than 4-5 fish per person. well i went out there and i couldnt catch a darn thing and i started watching a couple other guys that seemed to be catching gills pretty consistently and i noticed they were jiggin it very fast for a while then they would pause and repeat. i alos figured out i needed to downsize to a size 14 green/chart marmooska with 2 spikes. i finally got the technique down on how they wanted it jigged and i was soon catching fish. i ended up with my limit. not a lot of sorting i only ended up throwing back 2. and the rest were right around 8″. there were only a hand full of guys including myself that were catching fish consistently. it seemed like if you didnt jig it right or have the right color then you werent going to catch any fish. so just because someone else says its slow you can still catch fish. i also learned that you need to use other fisherman as hints and watch what there doing to catch fish so you can catch fish too. i also saw that the tip-ups were poping up pretty regulary. and they were getting bass and northerns on them.

Pat Howard
    Sparta Wi

Great job putting the puzzle together and getting some good fish

marbleyes
    Holmen, WI

Always pay attention to your surroundings. This can be key at times, and you can learn a lot. The only bad part about this is when others set up camp right next to the person catching fish. I hate that. You know who you are. The only time I consider this alright is when these people are your buddies, and you are playing defense.

marbleyes
    Holmen, WI

Great job netmann.

Jeff Bennett
    Lake Puckaway Wi.

Nice report and picture, those marmooskas are worth their wait in gold and then some , you put on favorite color and size that works day in and day out. Nice job.

from Jeff

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.