Gaining Confidence

• ealbrecht
    Participant

I once heard someone say “Having the right lure is 10% of the equation, but believing you have the right lure bumps it up to about 40%.” This has become almost a mantra to me for ice fishing, because for me it’s true. I have a jig that I know I can catch fish on any body of water and almost any species I have come across. Everyone has that one confidence boosting jig in their tackle box, whether it be a lure that has a particularly big fish memory attached to or one that they know they can catch fish on at any time of the year. An anglers confidence lure always seems to catch them more fish. Is this something lucky about the lure or is it the simple fact that an angler believes so much more in that lure that they spend more time fishing it? I firmly believe it is the latter.

The major problem I see with many anglers is that with all the new products being released to the market every year is that no one spends the time with a single lure. They are all convinced that if one of their new lures doesn’t work they just have to throw one of the new magic lures on and it is gonna turn the fish’s switch to ‘eat’. The majority of the time it isn’t the lure that causes the fish not to eat, it is the way the angler is fishing said lure. Sometimes you just have to be stubborn and refuse to switch.

One thing I think every ice fisherman needs to do is spend some time sight fishing. There is no single thing that will teach you more about how fish act towards a particular lure and how you jig the lure than by watching. Whether it be watching how walleyes react to your jigging spoon with the help of an underwater camera or by sitting in 5 feet of water in a clear lake picking off roaming crappies and bluegills; sight fishing will teach you more than any seminar, book, or video ever will. Sight fishing will also help you gain confidence in just about every lure you have in your arsenal. You will also learn things about some lures that you never would have though of, like how changing the way the knot sits on a Lindy Fatboy will get you twice as many fish, or wacky-rigging a Micro-Mino will catch you more crappies than bluegills.

By slowly going through your tackle box and trying out different jigging techniques and different plastic combinations with different lures and watching how fish react, you will be able to have several confidence lures, though they may never really replace that one lure you once landed a 2lb crappie with. Do I practice what I preach? To an extent. While I am always open to experiment on the ice, I know a blue Genz Bug with a red Lindy Micro-Mino tail will catch me fish anywhere there is ice.

Pat Howard
    Participant
    Sparta Wi

Great info Bobb-o

jeff_jensen
    Participant
    cassville ,wis

Well said Bobb-o

big_g
    Participant
    Isle, MN

I agree with your comments. My go to ice panfish lure…. always was and will be a Green Ant, tipped with a red larvae If that won’t produce, then there are no fish in the area Changing lures will do nothing for me.

big G

tstatz
    Participant
    wis

Good post, like you i have a favorite(small purple demon w. lime green head).Need to get others wet but it works so darn good!

Mike W
    Participant
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Good stuff Bob. This year the glow diamond jig has been good to me. Other wise its the zebra gil pil. A Ratso is never very far tho.

blufloyd
    Participant

gold Kastmaster or imitation 90% of time.

blue-fleck
    Participant
    Dresbach, MN

My “go-to” baits this year have been the “Zebra pattern” Gill Pill, Lil Cecils, Mini Merts & Slender Spoons. With the Cecils, Mert & Slender Spoons, I like to mix them up until I find something they react positive to. Just because they don’t react to the color I’m using doesn’t mean they won’t eat a different color.

bret_clark
    Participant
    Sparta, WI

Good read

There is a lot to be said about having confidence in the lure/jig you are fishing with, but I would feel weird walking around with just one jig

This years favorite for the crappies so far has been the #6 Fire Tiger Demon Jigging Spoon from Custom Jigs and Spins tipped with a minnow head.

I believe for a person to have a strong arsenal, you must have confidence in more than one style jig or color so a verity of presentations can be offered, as mentioned. A jig collection beats a stamp collection for an ice head any day! And I agree, everyone has that one go to jig

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.