jig boxes

• Eric Pomplun
    Participant
    janesville, wisconsin

i was wondering how everyone likes to store their panfish jigs on the ice? i have a couple small boxes but it seems like i cant keep all the jigs i want in those boxes and i also need some extra room for all those jigs that i need to stock up on too. lets hear what you guys use

dan-tessmann
    Participant
    Kieler, Wis

I use the blue double sided plano boxes for regular jigs. Then i use a foam lined box for all the baits with treble hooks. It keeps the hooks untangled and organized . Dan

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

Check out the polar boxes made by rose_creek dot com. These are sharp boxes and have a clip to hold the hooks securely. They are spendy, but worth it.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

Check out the polar boxes made by rose_creek dot com. These are sharp boxes and have a clip to hold the hooks securely. They are spendy, but worth it.

Yup, they’re awful nice. I would second that recommendation.

http://www.rose-creek.com/polar_box.html

luke_haugland
    Participant
    Iowa City, Iowa

I will triple recommend that-

ErikOsberg
    Participant
    Wadena, MN

As the old saying goes; “You get what you pay for”. Rose Creek Anglers’ line of boxes are some of the finest in the industry, and they’re made right here in the good ole U.S.A.. Yeah, you might pay a couple bucks more, however, it’s worth it. Give the website a visit, or better yet, I believe you can pick them up at Thorne Bros.

Erik Osberg
    218-251-8306
    [email protected]

life1978
    Participant
    Eau Claire , WI

Nice boxes I went there to look at the new rod and reel and saw those. I was never in Thorn Bros before until then. Next time I go I’m making the fiance hold my credit card

RichFemling
    Participant

I appreciate the honest feed-back. It is a reinforcement that experienced ice fishermen are finding that quality is important.
    We also welcome any comments at http://www.rose-creek.com

luke_haugland
    Participant
    Iowa City, Iowa

Welcome to the forum Rich! I sure love your ice jig boxes.
    I have specific boxes for diamond jigs, and gill pills-
    No matter where in the nation I icefish, your boxes stand up to all that I throw at them!!

life1978
    Participant
    Eau Claire , WI

This is how I want mine set up!

whiskeyandwater
    Participant
    ????

Hands down the best box for jig!

scenic tackle
    Participant
    Bemidji, MN

Very nice boxes. Rose Creek boxes will keep your jigs secure. They fit great in your bib pockets.

brittlab
    Participant
    North Central Iowa

I have several of the rose creek boxes as well and tried some bug luggage last year. I’ve found the bug luggage seems to hold some of the jigs better than the rose creek boxes. I also bought a few of the new clam jig boxes and those are nice too. It’s nice to have a few different options

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

Quote:

Quote:

Yup, they’re awful nice. I would second that recommendation.

http://www.rose-creek.com/polar_box.html

Anybody sell these jig boxes locally ? I would sure like to get my paws on one of those !!! They really would be a great addition for this guys tackle organizer !!

I just can’t seem to justify 8 bucks shipping

Joel Nelson
    Southeast MN

Dave:

Are you coming up for the ice show? I know a few of the others in the WI-contingency will be heading up. If not, you should, and Thorne Bros. will have a pile of them.

Joel

In-Depth Webstaff
    Keymaster

Quote:

Hands down the best box for jig!

And they’re now available from Custom Jigs and Spins! If you’re going to be making a tackle order anyway you might want to add in a Rose Creek Polar Jig Box so you’ve got a way to keep them organized and safe out there on the ice.

$15.95 and available in two sizes. >>> Custom Jigs and Spins – Rose Creek Polar Box

Joel Nelson
    Southeast MN

Very cool! Will be nice to add one or two to the list when making a Custom Jigs and Spins order.

Or, I just saw that they’re putting together kits that incorporate the Rose Creek boxes with some great CJ&S offerings. When two great companies can come together to help one another, I think the consumer is the one that ultimately wins.

Custom Jigs & Spins Kits

Joel

bassrat13
    Participant
    north central iowa

if you think those are the best boxes…you really need to look at flambeau blue ribbon fly boxes…they easily hold a couple hundred jigs, they’re waterproof (means no rust on your expensive jigs), they float (no…oops.), and they’re built like a tank!!! give em a look guys..the VFF is great!!!

Joel Nelson
    Southeast MN

Quote:

if you think those are the best boxes…you really need to look at flambeau blue ribbon fly boxes…they easily hold a couple hundred jigs, they’re waterproof (means no rust on your expensive jigs), they float (no…oops.), and they’re built like a tank!!! give em a look guys..the VFF is great!!!

Thanks for the response Bassrat.

I’ve given these a very serious look in the past! While they appear to be a great box, with some good features (I like how they’re waterproof), there were quite a few downsides as well (for me personally).

The Vertical Friction Foam (VFF) they advertise is less durable than the Rose Creek piranha clips and also seemed to be poorly/loosely attached to the leafs. Also, at up to more than 3 times the cost of a Rose Creek box, replacement boxes and/or multiple boxes becomes a spendy proposition.

While it’s true those boxes hold quite a few jigs, I rather appreciate the organization that having several different boxes of jigs enables you. I’ve got a couple boxes for each species, but depending on the trip, I’ll only carry a handful with me. This keeps me lightweight and focused.

To each their own however, I think that depending upon the type of fishing you’re doing, they’re worth a look!

Joel

JavaJohn
    Participant

At the ice fishing seminar last night, Dave Genz showed us a jig box that is new on the market. It has a few compartments on one side with clear plastic windows to put your plastic tails in. It also floats, not that anyone would drop it down the hole by accident.

woody_036
    Participant
    Spooner, Wi

Quote:

At the ice fishing seminar last night, Dave Genz showed us a jig box that is new on the market. It has a few compartments on one side with clear plastic windows to put your plastic tails in. It also floats, not that anyone would drop it down the hole by accident.

What was it called?

ealbrecht
    Participant

Those are the new clam ice boxes. they are really small, and at 9.99 a little overpriced. Try a Rose Creek, you will not be dissapointed.

bassrat13
    Participant
    north central iowa

i’ve used the scientific angler’s friction fly boxes and C&F boxes in the past, and that’s what got me turned on to the flambeau’s…the SA and C&F had the foam start to fall out in several weeks ( i re-glued them and they are now working), and the C&F runs nearly $40 and is not waterproof…the SA is a well built box (also $40) but only holds about 100 jigs comfortably (small size)….i purchased 4 of the flambeau VFF boxes 3 years ago at sportsmans warehouse for $14.99 each and they still hold jigs as tightly as the day they were made…i’m a person who likes to be over-prepared…with these 4 boxes i can carry over 800 jigs (and they would easily fit in my pockets with extra room for spikes and waxies)…i’ve looked at-and liked-the rose creek boxes but they’re just not as practical because i would need to carry 10+ boxes to equal my vff’s….just my 2 cents. …and you’ll notice i didn’t say anything negative about the rose creek boxes.

Joel Nelson
    Southeast MN

Quote:

i’ve used the scientific angler’s friction fly boxes and C&F boxes in the past, and that’s what got me turned on to the flambeau’s…the SA and C&F had the foam start to fall out in several weeks ( i re-glued them and they are now working), and the C&F runs nearly $40 and is not waterproof…the SA is a well built box (also $40) but only holds about 100 jigs comfortably (small size)….i purchased 4 of the flambeau VFF boxes 3 years ago at sportsmans warehouse for $14.99 each and they still hold jigs as tightly as the day they were made…i’m a person who likes to be over-prepared…with these 4 boxes i can carry over 800 jigs (and they would easily fit in my pockets with extra room for spikes and waxies)…i’ve looked at-and liked-the rose creek boxes but they’re just not as practical because i would need to carry 10+ boxes to equal my vff’s….just my 2 cents. …and you’ll notice i didn’t say anything negative about the rose creek boxes.

Thanks for the clarification, but I’m guessing there was a redesign on the Flambeau VFF’s. The cheapest retail on the smaller boxes is around $28, and the bigger boxes are $47.

Speak freely! If you’re confident in this product, there’s a great chance others may be as well.

Joel

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.