How many tip ups

• Richard V.
    Participant
    Somewhere over the rainbow

How many tip ups are you allowed to fish at a time in the following states?
    Wisconsin
    Minnesota
    Iowa
    Nebraska
    South Dakota
    North Dakota

The reason I ask, is that I want to set some of them up for pike. We don’t have any here in the land of OZ but I do make trips up north from time to time. I am new to using tip ups also and have been asking Bret Clark a lot of questions but thought this question would be better asked of everyone since the geography is covers several states.

Another question how many is too many tip ups?

jhalfen
    Participant

3 lines total here in WI.

buck-slayer
    Participant

N and S Dakota is 4 lines

Brian Robinson
    Participant
    central Neb

I believe you can have 5 lines in combination in NE. Might see if I can find a book just to make sure.

buck-slayer
    Participant

As far as how many? Its fun to have alot out but sucks when its time to pick up.

Ben Garver
    Participant
    Hickman, Nebraska

5 lines in Nebraska.

rkd-jim
    Participant
    Fountain City, WI.

Quote:

2 Here in MN..

Check into the rules in MN as far as types of hooks that can be used. From what I understand if you use a treble hook you have to have a spinner blade within a few inches of it or it is considered 3 lines . So if you use 2 tip-ups with treble hooks without the spinner blade you can be fined for 6 lines.

huntfishhastings
    Participant
    Hastings, MN

Dont quote me on this but I think in MN if your using a treble on a tip up it has to be part of a lure, jigging rap, spoon, etc. Ive used the spoons with a dropper line but always just a single hook. Sounds like MN needs to get with the times on this issue. Ice fishing in WI is great 2 rod lines in the house and a tip-up outside the house. 5 in NE wow better have them far apart or have a watchfull eye or your going to have one hell of a mess.

big_g
    Participant
    Isle, MN

Thats correct Jim… Taken from the regs…

Angling Methods

• Anglers may use only one hook. An artificial lure is considered one hook.

A treble hook, when not part of an artificial lure, is considered three hooks

and is not legal. The exception is that three artificial flies may be used

when angling for trout, crappie, sunfish, and rock bass.

• Anglers may use only one line during the open water season and two

through the ice (other than on designated trout lakes and streams) unless

otherwise noted.

2nd part… how many is too many ???? I have 7 and the legal amount I can have out is 2…. nice to have extras when out on the big lake and the nieces and nephews are there. When I was younger (early 20’s) we used to play tackle tip up fishing… it was a blast

big G

Big Lund 20
    Participant
    Cedar Rapids, IA

2 in IOWA.

Justin Schneider (Woods & Water Insurance)
    Participant
    Hugo, MN

Wow that is news to me! I was always under the assumption that a treble hook was considered 1 hook in the state of MN.

Now if I add a bead to the tip up, is it considered a lure?

Richard V.
    Participant
    Somewhere over the rainbow

Quote:

5 in NE wow better have them far apart or have a watchfull eye or your going to have one hell of a mess.

Hell we can have 8 here in Kansas, the way I figure it is that if I don’t put too much line on I can have them 10 feet apart.

Glen you need to explain how to play tackle tip up fishing. It sounds interesting, I might be a little too old to play but heck I might give it a try. It might even be more fun than tripping Brets flag, right Ben…

rkd-jim
    Participant
    Fountain City, WI.

I think it has to be a small blade……not sure.

I clip the blade on the leader with the hook

bret_clark
    Participant
    Sparta, WI

When setting up for fishing the Minnesota side of the river I add a spinner to my leader. I have found this to even be the ticket for action on the Wisconsin side at times.

I like to keep three tip ups on hand, I am always pounding around with a jig stick looking for pannies but one tip up is rigged with light mono and moved around while looking for crappies, makes for a great way to spread out. The other two are rigged with leaders for fish of the toothy kind, this gives me something to watch while hole hoppin’.

I own 8 tip ups in total, three rigged for crappies, three rigged for Northern Pike and 2 rigged with light Tyger wire when fishing areas that have a chance to produce eyes while fishing northern. This way I am set up and ready for the few days that might be spent just putting out flags.

I would say for the average guy 3-4 tip ups is plenty, I’m just a hog

Jerod Redenius
    Participant

I know I’m about 14 years late to the party, but Iowa is still 2, unless you pay the $15 3rd line fee.

BigWerm
    Participant
    SW Metro

Wow that is news to me! I was always under the assumption that a treble hook was considered 1 hook in the state of MN.

x2! I think I have a blade on my trebles, but wouldn’t have even thought twice about it if I didn’t. Going to need to talk to the attorney I retain to read and decipher the thousand+ pages of hunting and fishing regs in this state…

deertracker
    Participant

As far as how many? Its fun to have alot out but sucks when its time to pick up.

Kind of like duck decoys…
    DT

mahtofire14
    Participant
    Mahtomedi, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Justin Schneider (Woods & Water Insurance) wrote:</div>

x2! I think I have a blade on my trebles, but wouldn’t have even thought twice about it if I didn’t. Going to need to talk to the attorney I retain to read and decipher the thousand+ pages of hunting and fishing regs in this state…

Pretty sure a few years ago we had this debate and Will Roseberg posted about using a single treble is legal and I don’t remember needing a spinner or any additions. It was a newer exception I believe. Might have to revisit this.

tim hurley
    Participant

Btw-if you go out even with one other person bring a second tip up, surprising how many people do not take advantage of that second line.

TMF89
    Participant

They changed the law awhile back to allow regular quick strike rigs and treble hooks, but prior to that, they were illegal unless they were part of a “lure” (to allow exceptions for crankbaits), which is why all quick strike rigs used to have the tiny blades on them. Boom, you’ve got yourself a spinner rig.

And I’d be ecstatic if our state let me give them even more of my money for a 2nd/3rd line.

tim hurley
    Participant

Quick strike not to be confused with quick set set ups that automaticaly set the hook for you, illegal but often sold in MN. Totally agree with the 2/3 line idea, they would get some more of my money, tackle shops would sell a few more tippies too.

Eelpoutguy
    Participant
    Farmington, Outing

MN – roll

Reef W
    Participant

Rules were different in 2009. It’s pretty simple now.

Attachments:
    1. Screenshot_20230115_080428_Drive.jpg

tim hurley
    Participant

I agree eel- The guys who want to use those rigs are the people who fish trout in clear water-so you set up and walk away and keep a distance because they are spooky, so they set up regular tip-ups which are legal, now the fish is more likely to be hooked deep.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Participant
    Prescott

I use the 3 fly rig on the river. It’s called the wolf river rig. Eye love em

Gitchi Gummi
    Participant

Quality over quantity. I’d be more concerned about the fishery I am dropping my line into than how many lines I can run.

2 lines in a great fishery > 4 lines in a mediocre fishery

tim hurley
    Participant

In a boat I would only rarely use a 2nd line, but at times it would be great.

Brittman
    Participant

Two lines each when shore fishing is a big plus. Unless trolling for salmon and trout on a big lake in a big boat – 2 lines each in a boat is tricky if there are more that two of you fishing.

When fishing two lines each and you have multiple fish on. Good “problem” to have to manage through.

Riverrat
    Participant

Up to 3 single or multi pronged hooks placed no more than 9″ apart counts as a single tackle configuration. Page 29 of the MN manual. Am I alone in having the regulations downloaded on my phone?

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 31 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.