Camera vs. Flasher

• whiskeyandwater
    ????

Hey guys,
    So after a few years off of the Ice fishing scene I’ve been slowly been picking up everything I use to have. Auger ,check…. Clam, check (alll thanks to IDA of course ) but now I’m stuck. I use to have a flasher, which worked just fine, however I had that well before the camera boom. and now I’m torn. If you guys could only get one which would you get? Thanks for the help. I love this site!!

fishinallday
    Montrose Mn

IMO… If you only have funds for one or the other, get the flasher. That way you know the entire water column is covered. With a camera you are only able to see what is going on directly infront of the lense. Just one mans opinion.

big_dog_ia
    Omaha, Ne

i agree with Chriss.

ltwillia0506
    La Crosse WI

flasher can use it at night and covers more

hawgstatus
    Moundsview, MN

Flasher all the way. Cameras in my opinion are way over-rated…except for perch fishing where they have proven to be the way to go.

Night fishing- flasher
    stained water – flasher
    walleyes – IMO hate cameras
    25 ft of cord in hole – sucks

Also just watching the camera is like putting on horse blinders.

Obviously the best is BOTH!! but if I could only pick one…Vexilar FL-18

barbisfishn
    Cedar Rapids, Ia

Flasher Yes! Less gear to tote too….

kruger
    Metro,mn

Flasher is the way to go

whiskeyandwater
    ????

Excelent. flasher it is I guess. I lways though cameras were over rated , and of course a few days ago a few friends used one and said it was the best thing ever. so I though I may as well ask around here, seeing as how you guys seem to be much smarter than my friends!

biteme
    Eagan, MN

Flasher !

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

A flasher is more useful more often but cameras kick butt in certain situations. During the day, in shallow water or when the bite is super tough. Being able to see the bite can make or break the day. But if you have to chose one over the other… the answer is flasher.

gary_wellman
    South Metro

What are you primarily fishing for?

If you are a daytime fisherman for metro lakes, I would go camera.

Can’t see squat at night and it is tough (but not impossible) to watch suspended fish.

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

Flasher. I was going to go into a big long post about the pros/cons of both, but in the end I would still say a flasher over the camera if you are looking for just one

atwinspin

I prefer a camera for the type of fishing I do. Most of my fishing is in 15 feet or less. For pike it’s great to see where you are in relation to weeds. For pan fish its nice to see the jig in their mouth when you set the hook and they are not just sucking on your wax worm. It’s nice to pull the bait away from the smaller fish, saves on bait and time. I have yet to see a fish that is spooked of a camera, if anything it draws them in out of curitosity. You also can see the mood of the fish and change how you fish. A flasher can tell you there are fish on a rock bar for example but you don’t know what type of fish they are it could be suckers or shad instead of walleye and you just wasted hours fishing it because you flasher showed there were fish there. Each has it’s place but for me it’s a camera. Plus there fun to watch…………

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

No doubt that fishing with a camera is both fun and effective. We put the cameras to good use in our last TV Show… without them we would have been in for a TOUGH bite.

To see how to fish with a camera check out this online video of Trophy Panfish Principals. To play the video just click on the image.

• Title – “Trophy Panfish Principals”
    Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

If you have little ones that are learning the ice fishing skills…sometimes they need to be entertained and a flasher just isn’t going to keep their attention like a camera will

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.