What auger would you buy?

• joe_the_fisher
    Wisconsin Dells WI

If you could have any auger out there what would it be and why? Thanks!

Ray Gylsen
    Glenwood,Mn

I would buy the strikemaster four stroke 8″. Quite running, no mixing of oil, and a reliable Honda engine.

bronzbak
    Long way from home

Joe, there is NO comparison between the Nils Master and any other. All these guys talking jiffy, Eskimo, or strike master have not run a nils. It’s simply the best there is with the tanaka power head . I have a strike master gasser. If I were to dver buy another gasser it would without question be a nils. I run a 6″ and 8″ nils on my cordless set ups. I have a 18v dewalt on the 6″ and a 36v Bosch on the 8″. I have no need for a gas auger unless on a trip where I can’t charge batteries overnight.

Every single person I know who has run a nils likes it and would not switch back!

Ray Gylsen
    Glenwood,Mn

you must not have alot of ice were you live, we have measured over 44″ and probably more since the the high today was ten below.

BBKK
    IA

Quote:

you must not have alot of ice were you live, we have measured over 44″ and probably more since the the high today was ten below.

44″ of ice (no snow) and -10 high = about 0.1″ of ice made in 24 hours.

BBKK
    IA

Money no object? Nils and a tanaka, plus 6 spare nils heads for the dirty ice here.

bronzbak
    Long way from home

Same head on my 6″ for 3 years. Can’t even imagine how many thousands of holes I’ve cut. Fish the Mississippi, Wisconsin river, Pete, castlerock, and Madison chain. What’s your point? I do carry a spare head as I did carry spare lazer blades. I guess I’m smart enough to not drill into sand or mud. Some guys can’t figure that out though.

Ray Gylsen
    Glenwood,Mn

I have not used a Nils Master because my Strike Master that I’ve had for 15 years hasn’t died on me yet and has not let me down. I would consider one when that time comes though.

bronzbak
    Long way from home

Ray, last winter I was up on LOW with some friends. One is a guide who runs the nils with a tanaka power head. -20 and started 2nd pull. Minimum pull effort compared to my strike master. The tanaka motor is amazing to say the least. I had been running nils already on my cordless rigs. But running that gas rig was unreal. It shreds the ice and super light. The guy who guides said it was his 2nd year on the rig. He was a jiffy guy before he switched over and said he burnt out a jiffy per year before going to the nils tanaka rig.

Ray Gylsen
    Glenwood,Mn

Well alright then, if a guide at the LOTW said that, I’m sure he puts alot of time on the ice and has tons of experience with equipment verses a weekend warrior like me. I actually havn’t seen one being used in my area or even seen a place selling them to be fair.

BBKK
    IA

Quote:

Same head on my 6″ for 3 years. Can’t even imagine how many thousands of holes I’ve cut. Fish the Mississippi, Wisconsin river, Pete, castlerock, and Madison chain. What’s your point? I do carry a spare head as I did carry spare lazer blades. I guess I’m smart enough to not drill into sand or mud. Some guys can’t figure that out though.

A couple of the spots I fish are wide open areas that get wind blown from the west and northwest. This blows sand and debris on the ice, which eventually embed inside the ice. Avoiding it is impossible. I’ve seen nils augers so dull they won’t cut at all. They are a great auger for most situations, but not all.

hunter1723

Nils are great, but all around I will take my honda 4 stroke. No mixing, clean running, Quiet!!!!!

hunter1723

LOL I stayed in a holiday inn express last night and I use plastic blades on an earthquake auger from menards. Care to change your mind again????? LOL

Jay Hulser
    S.E. Iowa

X2 on the Nils. I call it my “Tasmanian Devil”. If you are going to spend the money get one. I was at Devil’s Lake this year and went through 38″ of ice and probably still could done another 4″ more. They are tall (lite weight) and I think probably would seldom ever need an extention.
    They also cut fast. I did my first gallon on Amsoil Saber Synthetic 100:1 Pre-mix 2-cycle Oil mixed at 50:1, second gallon 75:1 and now at 100:1. Now I am not suggesting this but I have had no problems. 3 years and have not sharpen my blade head yet. If you know somebody that has one. You should try it out. I know I’ll never buy no other. This is a good time to pick one off maybe $50 less if there is any around. Redrock had some around earlier.

Chris Raymond
    Keweenaw Peninsula, MI

I’m another very happy Nils owner (both gas and manual). I’m going on probably year 8 or 9 with it and I’ve NEVER had any problems with it whatsoever. I did have the head resharpened last year as I hit some wind blown sand in the ice. It easily starts in the coldest of weather and with a 48″ shaft, it basically has an extension already built it. I also am an Amsoil 100:1 believer and have little to no exhaust, oil smudge issues. It’s light, it’s fast but you can’t bang on the blades like some do with other brands. If 8″ or 6″ holes aren’t your thing and want a 10″ hole, I would suggest the Tanaka 350, custom coupler and a lazer auger.

tswoboda

Quote:

I’m another very happy Nils owner (both gas and manual). I’m going on probably year 8 or 9 with it and I’ve NEVER had any problems with it whatsoever. I didn’t have the head resharpened last year as I hit some wind blown sand in the ice. It easily starts in the coldest of weather and with a 48″ shaft, it basically has an extension already built it. I also am an Amsoil 100:1 believer and have little to no exhaust, oil smudge issues. It’s light, it’s fast but you can’t bang on the blades like some do with other brands. If 8″ or 6″ holes aren’t your thing and want a 10″ hole, I would suggest the Tanaka 350, custom coupler and a lazer auger.

X2. Nils makes a great auger, and Tanaka makes an unbelievable motor.

hop307
    Northern Todd County

Quote:

If you could have any auger out there what would it be and why? Thanks!

I would not buy an auger with plastic handles…had one bread 3 times on me in a month and got rid of it.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.