Best Ice rod storage box

• fishthumper
    Participant
    Sartell, MN.

Now that I am starting to get a few more expensive rod and reel combos for ice fishing I think it is time to get a better storage-transportation method for them. What are all of you here using for them? Please incluse how many rod/reel combo’s you are able to fit in what you are using. – Thanks.

fish_any_time
    Participant
    Champlin, MN

Otter rod box. 6 is a tight fit.

What has impressed me most is that the combos stay in place when running on the lake. I attach mine to my Otter Monster box.

tucrs
    Participant
    NW Metro

I honestly think the otter box. You can fit in about 5 rods That is what I get in mine.
    36″ Precision
    32″ Quicktip
    19″ Maestro
    32″ Qt-1
    32″ Deadstick

That fits in there pretty well. You have to be organized though and put them back in order.

Another bag that I have really have enjoyed using is the Striker Transporter Bag. It fits 4 very nice on the ATV and room for tackle. I mounted it directly on the rack.

Both are very nice.

Randy Wieland
    Participant
    Lebanon. WI

If you want a cost effective solution, you can get double rifle hard case for about $21-22. I pack 4 to 5 rods in each of mine and up to 42″ long.

suzuki
    Participant
    Woodbury, Mn

With Otter you are done and done. Mine has been impressive. You can get similar results and save money with some other products including gun cases.

waterice
    Participant
    Elk Point, SD

Look at Striker ICE bag. I bought one and really like it has tubes to hold 5 rods.

fisherman-andy
    Participant

Ice fishing innovations’s deluxe ice advantage rod case takes the cake. Its as good as it gets for a rod case. However its rather large, bulky and if your rods have short handles or corks they wont sit. But if you have long rods and dont mind the bulk it may be the ulitmate rod case for you.

fishthumper
    Participant
    Sartell, MN.

Do those Otter cases really run around $100.00? or are they available someplace else for a little cheaper. They had better be something really special for near $100.00

suzuki
    Participant
    Woodbury, Mn

On sale for $71 at Cabelas. You wont regret it down the road. If money is tight its definitely not something you need but I love it all over again every time I use it.

BBKK
    Participant
    IA

There’s one on ebay for $78 from a reputable place. search “otter rod case”

I’m looking for a cheaper alternative as well, a hard case. I can’t be spending $100 on a rod case right now.

Aaron
    Participant

I use one of the cabelas ones that has the 3 different pockets you could easily hold 6 in them with out any issues but probably more. What I also did was picked up some of the plastic tubs that cover and protect the rod when they are getting bouched around. This also prevents the lines from getting tangled up.

belletaine
    Participant
    Nevis, MN

Quote:

On sale for $71 at Cabelas. You wont regret it down the road. If money is tight its definitely now something you need but I love it all over again every time I use it.

That’s good at Cabelas, $99.99 at Gander

suzuki
    Participant
    Woodbury, Mn

Quote:

There’s one on ebay for $78 from a reputable place. search “otter rod case”

I’m looking for a cheaper alternative as well, a hard case. I can’t be spending $100 on a rod case right now.

Just don’t fall for a soft-sided. they offer no support for the blank if you pick it up from anything but the reel side. A disaster waiting to happen. I threw my old one away. Search for some Plano items. They have some nice boxes and gun cases that will work fine.

Check this out. Plano gun case at Walmart. $39.

http://www.walmart.com/browse/gun-storage/gun-cases-bags/plano/4125_1107532_1092124_1080124/YnJhbmQ6UGxhbm8ie

BBKK
    Participant
    IA

Quote:

If you want a cost effective solution, you can get double rifle hard case for about $21-22. I pack 4 to 5 rods in each of mine and up to 42″ long.

What case is that? I haven’t found one less than 52″ long, which is a little bit longer than what I need. My longest rod is 1″ too long for the take-down version. One 45-48″ long would be perfect.

suzuki
    Participant
    Woodbury, Mn

Search for “AR-15 hard sided gun cases”. You wont believe how much is out there fitting your criteria.

Wizdumb
    Participant

Quote:

Look at Striker ICE bag. I bought one and really like it has tubes to hold 5 rods.

I also have this bag. It is the horseshoe-shaped one that is supposed to go around atv steering column. It is considered a soft case, but it has a lot of rigidity to it and can withstand a reasonable amount of pressure/abuse imo. I love that is lightweight; wish it had a pocket or two though. It doesn’t have ‘tubes’ per say, but it does have rod sleeves built in for 4 rods, and that works very well to keep rods from being tangled as well as accessed easily. Could probably fit 5 total, and maybe a small jig box thrown in. I leave most of the rod handles left open with no problems, but with 5 in there you might have to close one or two of them for zipper to shut easily.

fish_any_time
    Participant
    Champlin, MN

Quote:

Do those Otter cases really run around $100.00? or are they available someplace else for a little cheaper. They had better be something really special for near $100.00

Either 2 or 3 seasons ago I paid not quite half of that at the ice show.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

Personally anything that has “bag” in the description or in its design is not the way to go. Hard side gun cases and arrow cases make dandy rod boxes if you don’t find a commercial rod box that you like.

Wizdumb
    Participant

Quote:

Personally anything that has “bag” in the description or in its design is not the way to go. Hard side gun cases and arrow cases make dandy rod boxes if you don’t find a commercial rod box that you like.

I would agree with this statement with one caveat, being I mainly fish out of 1-man flipover or run and gun outside. I didnt want to carry or pull a hard sided ‘rifle’ case when weight and space is at a premium in both scenarios. If you have room for it in your tub – it would have been an easier decision for me.

mojogunter
    Participant

I paid $65 for my otter case when they first came out several years ago. That was a good investment. I can get six combos in it. One way to justify a hardcase is I have six rods in it with an average cost per rod at about $70 per rod. One bad situation with a rod bag that hard case could have saved $400+. Not to mention the reels that could be damaged too. If you have some nice rods I wouldn’t hesitate to protect your investment

holmsvc
    Participant
    SE ND

I’d get an Otter case. The gun case is nice, but folding down reels sucks. I think Cabelas had a good sale on the Otter case.

waterice
    Participant
    Elk Point, SD

Quote:

Quote:

I also have this bag. It is the horseshoe-shaped one that is supposed to go around atv steering column. It is considered a soft case, but it has a lot of rigidity to it and can withstand a reasonable amount of pressure/abuse imo. I love that is lightweight; wish it had a pocket or two though. It doesn’t have ‘tubes’ per say, but it does have rod sleeves built in for 4 rods, and that works very well to keep rods from being tangled as well as accessed easily. Could probably fit 5 total, and maybe a small jig box thrown in. I leave most of the rod handles left open with no problems, but with 5 in there you might have to close one or two of them for zipper to shut easily.

I have the bigger bag called the Transporter. Its a bigger bag has 5 tubes on the bottom. Has a lot of room.

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

Quote:

Now that I am starting to get a few more expensive rod and reel combos for ice fishing I think it is time to get a better storage-transportation method for them. What are all of you here using for them? Please incluse how many rod/reel combo’s you are able to fit in what you are using. – Thanks.

The Rotter Odd Box
    hands down !!

trumar
    Participant
    Rochester, Mn

What he said ^^^^^^^^^

bigpike
    Participant

Thorne Bros has a bunch on sale now….

Egts
    Participant

I easily get 6 rods in my otter. I know I could get a 7th in if needed, but 6 rods cover 90% of all my fishing for the day. For reference, my 3 TUCR’s are 32″. PS….I had the Transporter bag & returned it, while it is very nice, I didn’t want to take the chance of digging hooks out of fabric. The Otter should last a lifetime. I live by the philosophy of buy once, cry once.

Ben Putnam
    Participant
    Saint Paul, MN

I got a Rapala rod bag and I love it! I love that I can store my tackle boxes in the side pouches, the pvc protects the rods, and it has a carry strap that I use every time I go out. As far as protection goes, you can’t beat the Otter Box, but the Rapala rod bag just works better for me.

http://www.rapala.com/RDBRB40/RDBRB40,default,pd.html?start=15&cgid=rapala-toolsAndMore-fishingTools

I guess copy and paste the full link into your address bar, for some reason the whole link isn’t displaying

jeff_jensen
    Participant
    cassville ,wis

Saw a guy show up on the ice last week with a violin case lined with foam. Had two nice st.croix’s snugged in there. I wanted to laugh but I couldn’t after he told me he picked it up at a garage sale for a buck There are some nice cases out there and you really get what you pay for. Would anyone have an idea where I could buy or have made a 6ft.rod case. My gun cases are too short and sick of the rod socks!

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 36 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.