Where to go?!?

• rednax
    Participant
    Southern WI

I fish a small chain in northern WI which does not have topo maps made for it. No matter where i go on the lake all i can catch are 2-5″ perch from 4′ of water to 18′ of water thats all I find but in summer i catch large numbers of good sized crappie and big bluegill in summer and winter as i didnt target crappie in winter there ever. Where should i go or use as a starting point?

icefanatic11
    Participant
    Birnamwood, WI

Hard to tell you where to go. I’d try deeper if deeper water is available for the crappies at least. What chain is it if you don’t mind sharing? I fish northern wi quite a bit myself, maybe I or someone else on here fishes the lake and could help you out, if you do not wish to share that is fine too, no hard feelings. Otherwise without lake maps it is hard to suggest where to start. Have you looked into buying a WI sportsmans guide book (its blue and has maps and a write up on certain lakes in a given region of WI) from like a fleet farm or gander, they can be very helpful if they have your particular bodies of water in them.

rednax
    Participant
    Southern WI

Its more just a couple lakes connected, its near boulder junction in a private community we have access to, yeah i have the sportsmans books for wisconsin and they are not listed there or on navionics or lake link with a map.

icefanatic11
    Participant
    Birnamwood, WI

Hmm I personally haven’t fished either of those but have been through Boulder Junction on my way to Tenderfoot and Palmer lakes. Odd those two lakes aren’t on there, because via a quick google search they do not appear to be that small.

rednax
    Participant
    Southern WI

They arent exactly small but not huge by any means and extremely lightly fished and fish are very abundant in summer and last winter was very productive

icefanatic11
    Participant
    Birnamwood, WI

I just checked the WI DNR lake finder for both those lakes and ironically neither have topo/contour maps. But both lakes in the description did have deeper water McC: 27 feet and Morton: 29 ft.

rednax
    Participant
    Southern WI

Yep checked everywhere for topo maps with no results. I think i will search for that deeper water though next chance im there

icefanatic11
    Participant
    Birnamwood, WI

The only suggestion I can offer is to locate where you caught the fish in summer and draw a line out to the deeper water for the crappies at least. If the traditional spots that were producing last year aren’t this year, odds are the fish are still relating to a similar type of water, perhaps check other areas that have similar type of water not that far from where you are catching the fish in summer. Also if you have a boat and are equipped with sonar of some sort cruise over the lake and mark fishy spots with GPS for winter, deep holes, bars with cover near deep water are all great spots to way point and check later. Best of luck in your search.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.