Tip-Up Panfish

• rednax
    Southern WI

Just curious if anyone else uses tip ups for panfish, mainly crappie and how they rig it. I use a 3-6lb leader with a small treble hook and fathead hooked just in front of the dorsal

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

If the fishing for panfish is so slow you can use a tip up, you might want to find another spot.

fishinhunt31
    Near Lake Winnebago

I used the Reinhart now Frabil insulated tip ups just because I can keep two sets of flourocarbon leaders in there, one for walleyes, one for crappies. I did see, however, when I used them last, there were four guys near by using tip downs that were more productive because they were light biting and just the weight of the spit shot on the tip up was enough for them to drop it. The tip downs were counter balanced just right to show a pick up but not too much to drop it. They had all they could do to keep lines in the water. There were a lot of people in the area in this instance so moving, while always a mantra, wasn’t really in the cards and they were on a good bite so why mess it up? In the long run, unless the fish are really agressive, I like the tip downs and jiging better. My $.02

icenutz
    Aniwa, WI

Tip Downs are the way to go, a lot more sensitive than Tip ups. A Tip Down free falls once it gets past horizontal so it offers zero resistance from that point on. They work great for Crappies and Perch.

BBKK
    IA

I’ve tried it, with exactly what you are saying. A 3# leader and a small fathead on a #16 treble. I all ever caught was a bluegill.

life1978
    Eau Claire , WI

Quote:

Tip Downs are the way to go, a lot more sensitive than Tip ups. A Tip Down free falls once it gets past horizontal so it offers zero resistance from that point on. They work great for Crappies and Perch.

Yup This is the way to go. Nutz told me how to set em up. And all I do now is chase the damn things and try to keep up!

692fisherman
    champlin mn

if your in minnesota remember you cant legally use just a treble hook…..it must have a “lure” on it as well….. a beed or a small blade will get ya legal

BBKK
    IA

Quote:

if your in minnesota remember you cant legally use just a treble hook…..it must have a “lure” on it as well….. a beed or a small blade will get ya legal

Why not?

icenutz
    Aniwa, WI

Quote:

Are you sure? I find this hard to believe, thought that was all changed. If it’s true, then MN is more screwed up than I originally thought!

luckydave
    Cottage Grove, MN

Current MN regs on using treble hooks don’t require anything but the treble hook.

692fisherman
    champlin mn

luckydave looks like your right, it has changed…. the regs can be confusing/difficult to understand…….but its still a good idea for people to double check the “fine print” in the regs books!!

Mudshark
    LaCrosse WI

Quote:

Why not?

Because at one time a treble hook was considered as 3 hooks and MN only allowed 2 hooks except for lures….. My buddy got a ticket for this years ago…

Was a good thing when they changed it……

Mitch Bradshaw
    Hugo, MN

I personally have never done it, but I always heard about people in the Northeast Suburbs who would put them out for Crappie on a lake each and every year and some of the crappies they caught…

Tim Bossert
    Cochrane, WI

Quote:

Quote:

Are you sure? I find this hard to believe, thought that was all changed. If it’s true, then MN is more screwed up than I originally thought!

Totally agree! This is by far the dumbest thing I have heard. Reminds me of the salmon fishing (snagging) days. Put a little piece of plastic on your weighted treble and all is good. Dumb!

jigmasterflex
    Lake Wissota, Wisconsin

Icenutz you’re from EC so have you ever seen the guys fishing gills on hallie with tip downs, I thought they must be crazy (usually just crappie/perch on tds for me) to make it weirder they all use earthworms, and they absolutely murder the bigger gills mid winter to late ice, there was a couple days where I was getting humbled so badly that I tried deadsticking a waxie and that worked well but nothing like they were doing, if I haven’t seen it a pile of times I’d never believe it

icenutz
    Aniwa, WI

I have not seen them there.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.