in-line ice reels

• yahbuddy
    Holmen, WI

Got a chance to look at the new frabill in-line ice reels tonight. The not so usual gandermoutain salesmen ( Brian “bro” Brosdahl ) was in the batter’s box . Even though the frabill reel seemed to be of good quality I am waiting for a sportsman guide delivery to try first. I know this subject has been brought up before but what is everyone’s thoughts on the in-line ice reel craze ?

Jmsteele187

I like my black Betty quite a bit. Spinning reels still have their place, like when jigging spoons and rattle baits. I use the inline reels more for jigging panfish with plastics or spikes.

keppenhiemer
    (507) MN

I started using in line reels 3 years ago and I really like them. They take a little getting used to and they are a pain in deep water, However if you get the right rod, reel, line, lure combo they can really be the cat’s meow. I have played around with lots of different setups. Store bought options are limited but, I like the Frabill inline reels (the first aluminum ones were the best) paired up with a Meat stick or St Croix rod with a light limber tip. I build ice rods for the inline reels using MHX or St Croix (I like the S.C.) rods with micro guides (like casting guides) except I still use a wire tip that catches most the water so as not to freeze up the other small guides. The micro guides keep the rod very light, balanced and sensitive!! I like to use 10 lbs. mono for backing and a 4 lbs. fluro carbon for most pan fish.

Foot note: I dropped one of the new frabil 101XLA reels from waist high on to a carpeted floor and it broke in two places it’s made of some type of cheap composite.

michael-d

I bought two Eagle Claw in-line reels for this season. My kids and I were on the ice Sunday and my 8 year old daughter used a rod with one of these reels attached.
    Gear ratio (2.6:1) was adequate for deeper water, we were in 16 feet of water.
    Free spool allowed even the lightest jigs to drop.

Dislikes:
    Because of the short distance between the reel and reel seat it’s hard to “pencil” hold.
    In free spool the reel can outrun the line.

Cabela’s link:

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Fishing/Ice-Fishing/Rods-Reels-Tip-Ups%7C/pc/104793480/c/104735880/sc/104543280/Eagle-Claw-Inline-Ice-Reel/1646820.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse%2Frods-reels-tip-ups%2F_%2FN-1100502%2B4294732270%2FNe-4294732270%3FWT.srch%3D1%26WT.tsrc%3DPPC%26rid%3D20%26WT.mc_id%3DGOOGLE%7Cfis_Ice%2BFishing_Reels%7CUSA%26WT.z_mc_id1%3D43700001503440817%26gclid%3DCMX78brGlrsCFYhcMgodhgIAvQ%26gclsrc%3Daw.ds&WTz_l=PPC%3Bcat104543280

frezerfisher

I have always used inline reels,but the new ones are great.A drag,good line pickup. All the stuff us ice fisherman need to make us Happy Happy Happy.Now you know what I am talking about. Sound familiar? FatFish

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

I got a cheap one, the Clam Genz Spooler I believe. It is a bit hokey and has its quirks you have to get used to, but I love it. It’s my go to in 10′ or less for gills.

I like the style reel, it fits how I like to fish. For this particular reel, it takes slightly more work than a spinning reel. Nothing really you’d notice. And on higher end models you might not see the problems.

What do I really like about them? Besides keeping the line slightly less coiled, I really like reeling a fish in on an inline. Its hard to explain, but I just like the feel of it.

mark-bruzek
    Two Harbors, MN

My take is that it will be dead by next year, It is just a “fad”. They are nothing new, guys have been running center pinners for decades, it was just an untapped marketing scheme.
    Sure some will keep them because the really like them and have adapted it to their style but the market was so flooded last year we are hearing less than 50% about them this year. Just my perception.

On a side note everyone and their brother is putting out an ice auger now, its kind of like the 60-70s with snowmobiles.

IceAsylum
    Wisconsin Dells WI

Quote:

In free spool the reel can outrun the line.

There is a adjustment to slow the spool if needed. Personally I like to feather the spool with my finger as needed to avoid over run but not limit how fast I can drop my jig or lure. I have had allot of fish charge while dropping in free spool and am able to slow or stop my jig or lure as needed, sometimes an abrupt stop kills the charge from the fish.

As far as my feeling on these reels:

I have 2 dead sticks with spinners and my 4 other jigging poles are set up with inlines. And they can handle the big ones. Last year I had a 1/2 hour battle with a Muskie that hit a small jig and waxies. When I finally got it to my 8″ hole its eyes where on each side of the hole (yea never would have come close to fitting in a 8″ hole). So yea I am hooked on the inlines.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.