TICA SS 500 reel

• bullcans
    Northfield MN

Anybody have any reports on this reel?
    I’m thinking of teaming one of these up with my new TUCR rod

Looking for reports or other reel suggestions in the same price point

trumar
    Rochester, Mn

I know several folk that use those for their ice rods and love them.

Rope
    Kansas

They used to be my reel of choice. I now run Shimano Sedona’s. Better drag IMHO.

07lotwchamp
    Andover, Mn

Had trouble with the tica I owned, switched to cetus 5 yrs no problems, good drags to!!

BBKK
    IA

I’ve been using presidents and trions for my ice rods, but I’ll be trying either a Tica SS500 or a sedona 500fd this year as well.

I know it doesn’t add anything to the thread, but so far I’ve been very happy with the shimanos I’ve been using for walleye this fall. I really want to try the sedona on the ice, I can only imagine it will be FANTASTIC.

PS amazon usually has them cheap.

tucrs
    NW Metro

All I can say is the Tica drags are really smooth. We have a few at the shop and I really like the one with the folding handle. The size is perfect.

Shimano’s are great reels as well. I run Sedona’s on my walleye rods and Sienna’s on the TUCR Noodle.

BBKK
    IA

Quote:

All I can say is the Tica drags are really smooth. We have a few at the shop and I really like the one with the folding handle. The size is perfect.

Shimano’s are great reels as well. I run Sedona’s on my walleye rods and Sienna’s on the TUCR Noodle.

Is there any specific reason you are using siennas on the noodle? I was going to put a sedona on my noodle (no jokes please) but if there is reason behind the sienna I’d like to hear it. Might save me $30.

tucrs
    NW Metro

No reason really, I gut them and tune up the drag system for panfish. I make it very smooth and have cold weather grease in the whole reel.

There is another thing too, I feel my odds of using the drag for an extended period of time is a lot less fishing panfish.

Plus I am putting such little stress on the reel I feel the need for a Sedona is not as great as on my walleye rods.

Just my two cents.

Joe Scegura
    Alexandria MN

I love my Tica’s. Very smooth drag. I fish outside a lot and I have trouble with all of my Shimanos getting stiff drag. I’m sure there is a way to get better results with them but out of the box the Ticas are smoothest cold weather reel I have used.

Does anyone one have a how to video for greasing the Shimanos? I’ve tried greasing mine with no improvement.

chomps
    Sioux City IA

I have 4 or 5 Tica’s been very satisfied. Which reminds me that Scheels here had a few on clearance. Always room for one more/ Just need to pull the trigger on a TUCR!

BBKK
    IA

Quote:

No reason really, I gut them and tune up the drag system for panfish. I make it very smooth and have cold weather grease in the whole reel.

There is another thing too, I feel my odds of using the drag for an extended period of time is a lot less fishing panfish.

Plus I am putting such little stress on the reel I feel the need for a Sedona is not as great as on my walleye rods.

Just my two cents.

Could you elaborate a little on how you tuned up the drag?

I think everyone needs at least one TUCR noodle, best darn panfsh rod ever invented.

PikeFishman
    St. Paul, MN

Take a look at the SE500. Pretty much the same reel as the SS500 but comes with a spare metal spool. I have 2 and like them a lot.

tucrs
    NW Metro

Yes I will. I will get something up this weekend.
    It is more of the oil then grease.

Mudshark
    LaCrosse WI

Quote:

Could you elaborate a little on how you tuned up the drag?

1 method is SMOoOth Drag

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.