Mille Lacs Report

• David Anderson
    Dayton, MN

Yesterday I fished the west side for the evening bite. A good 8 inches of ice. Intent was to try out my new Showdown I bought at a charity auction. Working a 20 foot break I settled down into my shack to warm up, with the showndown in my deadstick hole. Looking away then back, I noticed the lure mark was about 3 times as big as it was 3 minutes ago. Thinking I have the gain too high, I leaned over to discover my bobber was down….duh! Landed this 26 inch walleye, big head, sunken in body. Not marking much I put on the Slender Spoon to try. Within 15 minutes I landed a 24 inch fish, again skinny. My last fish was a complete surprise, about a 3# eelpout. I haven’t caught one of these in at least 5 years.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

That second one is sure beautiful. Good to see one!

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

Thanks for the report. Dang, this is one skinny 26er! Great markings on that pout. They are cool looking fish.

-J.

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

Quote:

Thanks for the report. Dang, this is one skinny 26er! Great markings on that pout. They are cool looking fish.

-J.

They are dressed in their Mille Lacs Lake Camo

David Anderson
    Dayton, MN

I was really surprised when it came through the hole. Telling a few others about the “rare” catch, they too had commented about not catching an eelpout for at least 4 years. I am not sure what it means but it’s probably good. I let it back down the hole as you are right, it really was a beautiful marked fish. Another observation, despite the zebs I thought the water was quite murky for Mille Lacs. Starting with a bright orange jigging rap, usually I can see them down 12 feet or so. This one disappeared at around 8 – 10 feet. It wasn’t long ago (before the zebs) that one year I could see the lure to 20+ feet hitting the bottom of a flat.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.