Ice Fishing trip advice 18-21 Jan

• big_dog_ia
    Omaha, Ne

I am looking to bring a group of 6 Vets up to Minnesota from the Omaha Ne area. Seeking advice on lakes/resorts/cabins to do some walleye, perch fishing etc tentativley 18-21 January. Any help appreciated.
    Thank you,
    Jason

timschmitz
    Waconia MN

Zippel bay resort on lake of the woods! Fish fry for everybody!

Calvin Svihel
    Northwest Metro, MN

A few questions….

IF you plan on staying in the fish house overnight I might suggest Mille Lacs lake as they have some very good sleeper houses to accomodate groups of your size. The fish will bit throughout the night better on mille lacs than say Lake of the Woods. A good resort would be the Red Door for example.

If you prefer to go to a fish house then come back into a cabin to stay over night I would suggest Lake of the Woods. Just about any resort on Wheelers Point area provides rides to and from the fish house along with cabin rental at night for sleeping, then back out to the fish house the next day to fish. Fishing seems to shut down overnight on Lake of the Woods, that is why most people come back into a cabin to spend the night.

Several options, I do applaude you in taking Vets out on an fun ice fishing adventure.

buckshot
    Rochester, MN

Lake of the Woods is a great option if you are looking to do it yourself sleds and portables or if you are looking to drive/ride out to a resort fishhouse, lots of options.

If you are looking for a guided trip Rainy would be a good option too with Rainydaze Guide service and Chris Granrud.

Not sure if he still guides up on Lake of the Woods or not but if he does Scott Steil would be a good one for that location.

tbrooks11

Although i have never fished there I have heard Gull lake has some very good ice fishing. I will be up there in early jan., i can let you know how we do if you would like.

bigcrappie
    Blaine

Red lake…..with the new slot to 20 inches it is game on.

tgruenke
    IGH, MN/Holcombe, WI

Friend and I stayed at Mille Lacs last winter and pland to do it again this year. Day time is slower if you don’t move around. But if you are there just to hang out and catch a few fish it is a good place. It would be closer for you coming from the south.

patk
    Nisswa, MN

Depends on what kind of experience you want to give them and how far to drive. I agree with the earlier posters who are either suggesting Mille Lacs or LOTW.

If you really want to give them a show, here’s an idea that only works for that weekend. Book over at Mille Lacs for lodging and houses. Here’s the kicker, bring them over to Gull on saturday for the world’s largest ice fishing tournament. Apologize if you’re already familiar with this but check out http://www.icefishing.org. The Jaycees do a great job and tickets are cheaper when purchased in advance.

I would highly recommend letting them see the Extravaganza as a slice of Americana!

shane123
    Anthon, Iowa

Quote:

A few questions….

IF you plan on staying in the fish house overnight I might suggest Mille Lacs lake as they have some very good sleeper houses to accomodate groups of your size. The fish will bit throughout the night better on mille lacs than say Lake of the Woods. A good resort would be the Red Door for example.

If you prefer to go to a fish house then come back into a cabin to stay over night I would suggest Lake of the Woods. Just about any resort on Wheelers Point area provides rides to and from the fish house along with cabin rental at night for sleeping, then back out to the fish house the next day to fish. Fishing seems to shut down overnight on Lake of the Woods, that is why most people come back into a cabin to spend the night.

Several options, I do applaude you in taking Vets out on an fun ice fishing adventure.

This is the first time i have heard that LOW isn’t a good night-bite. I have been hunting down info for sleepers, and heard that devils lake has a most-of-the-time non-existent night bite.
    Also, that mille lacs is really pressured, so LOW might be the better of the places to choose for walleye, and hog walleyes. Please explain more info as i would love to learn more about these places before i lay down some cash

Calvin Svihel
    Northwest Metro, MN

Quote:

Quote:

A few questions….

This is the first time i have heard that LOW isn’t a good night-bite. I have been hunting down info for sleepers, and heard that devils lake has a most-of-the-time non-existent night bite.
    Also, that mille lacs is really pressured, so LOW might be the better of the places to choose for walleye, and hog walleyes. Please explain more info as i would love to learn more about these places before i lay down some cash

Lotw has some dark and very stained water, typically early ice is better for night fishing but as the season gets going the night bite seems to be non existant for the most part. You will still catch some fish, but there is a reason that not that many people stay over night in resort houses on LOTW. Majority of all the fish caught are from sunrise to sunset on LOTW. This has been my observation on LOTW. Maybe the resorts just want people in the bar or restraunt in the evening???

shane123
    Anthon, Iowa

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

A few questions….

Lotw has some dark and very stained water, typically early ice is better for night fishing but as the season gets going the night bite seems to be non existant for the most part. You will still catch some fish, but there is a reason that not that many people stay over night in resort houses on LOTW. Majority of all the fish caught are from sunrise to sunset on LOTW. This has been my observation on LOTW. Maybe the resorts just want people in the bar or restraunt in the evening???

so where in your opinion would be the best place to go for a sleeper shack for some great overnight fishing for eyes?

trapsht
    Rockford, Il

I’ve spent quite a few nights in sleepers on Mille Lacs. It’s always fun, but don’t expect to catch a lot of fish in the big sleepers. Not saying that you won’t…it can just be tough at times without moving around on the ice. Good food,,,good drinks,.,.good friends. That’s what makes sleepers fun…IMHO

Calvin Svihel
    Northwest Metro, MN

@Shane…..I would go with Mille Lacs for the best overnight fishing. However it all depends which resort and the location of the sleeper house. I would recommend the Red Door as a good place for a sleeper house.

Calvin Svihel
    Northwest Metro, MN

@Shane…I would go with Mille Lacs as the best overnight bite lake….I would also make sure the resort does a good job of putting sleeper houses on night-time structure, I my opinion Red Door is a great choice for this.

shane123
    Anthon, Iowa

Thanks Calvin. I will have to contact them about rates and best times of the year to go for a sleeper. Still might do LOW just for the chance to get into the 10lb club

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Go to Mille Lacs if a shorter drive and just hanging out with friends is the priority. If you want a reasonable guarantee to catch fish then someplace else like LOTW.

shane123
    Anthon, Iowa

Quote:

Go to Mille Lacs if a shorter drive and just hanging out with friends is the priority. If you want a reasonable guarantee to catch fish then someplace else like LOTW.

yeah, an extra hour to the trip for a better chance of landing some hog walleyes is alot more enticing.

would love to do all 3 spots (LOW, Mille, Devils) this winter, just deciding what is best for each. Devils looks like a non-sleeper, but guided fishing. Mille might be a sleeper, and Low might be a sleeper.

ajw

Devils is going to be epic early ice this year. If you can make it up this way before new years you’ll have a real shot at some giants along with copious amounts of eater sized stuff. I know of more hogs caught this spring/summer/fall than any other year i can remember.

Pssst…go shallow

shane123
    Anthon, Iowa

Quote:

Devils is going to be epic early ice this year. If you can make it up this way before new years you’ll have a real shot at some giants along with copious amounts of eater sized stuff. I know of more hogs caught this spring/summer/fall than any other year i can remember.

Pssst…go shallow

thanks

big_dog_ia
    Omaha, Ne

Thank you all for the replies, very much appreciated!!

Jason

highsparks

I have been up to LOW last couple years , stayed in sleeper houses . While we have managed to catch at least one fish every year at night . Sleeper houses seem to be more for the partiers , they move the day houses daily . Keeping them on the bite better .

Best bite is mid-day , 9-3 approx. If i go up there this winter , I will stay at a resort and fish out of day houses . Its a little more expensive , but worth it for a indoor bathroom and showers ! Not to mention a good breakfast and supper .

onepine
    Elk River

Portavilla or Waskish minnow station on Upper Red are very good options. The slot has been changed to 20″ this season with a 4 fish limit and the chance for a huge pike is very high.

Keith Fischer

Quote:

I have been up to LOW last couple years , stayed in sleeper houses . While we have managed to catch at least one fish every year at night . Sleeper houses seem to be more for the partiers , they move the day houses daily . Keeping them on the bite better .

Best bite is mid-day , 9-3 approx. If i go up there this winter , I will stay at a resort and fish out of day houses . Its a little more expensive , but worth it for a indoor bathroom and showers ! Not to mention a good breakfast and supper .

Eating a meal of fresh caught walleye or sauger (cook your
    catch at the lodge) is about as good as it gets in my book.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.