Marcum vs Aqua View Camera’s ??

• Coffee
    Burnsville, MN

I’m considering an upgrade from cheapo fish cam. I see a Marcum VS 380 for big discount @Cabelas for $280. what does anyone think of the value @ that price? what does anyone think of Marcum vs Aqua view? what about all the used units I see for sale? thanks Dave

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Qualifying question: What are you planning on using it mostly for? More ice than summer? More lake than river?

Cameras are becoming more and more like fishing rods. Any rod will catch a fish, but there’s some that are better made for a blade bait than others.

If your looking at your pocketbook only, that’s a great price on the 380. With the advent and more popularity of the flat screens, it’s just going to be a matter of time where flat, LCD screens will take over the market and the crt’s will go the way of the passenger pigeon.

One thing I can suggest is to set two camera side by side in the store. Point the cameras at the same object across the room and then look at the color (if any) and the detail. From the cameras I’ve seen and I try to look at them all, the MarCum shows MUCH more detail then it’s competition.

I’ll never say “trust me”…go look yourself.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

PS Trumar has a “almost unused” VS-820 B&W in the classifieds.

I can’t embed from this computer, so here’s the link to some Mississippi River footage from Marty Hahn’s website.

Marty Hahn’s VS-820 Underwater Footage<<<

bradhawthorne
    Isle mn

If looking at buying new I’d go with the best you an afford, You can usually find some NIB VS-620’s at the ICE show for around $350, I ran the VS380 for years and loved it, they are tough machines, but when MaCum flat screens came out..I had to have one. Either way I dont think you can go wrong with the VS380 or anything in the MarCum line of camera’s.

WALLEYE444

As stated above I would go check out both companies different models & see how they compare in the stores. I have not used a Marcum camera, but I have used there flasher, LX3. Its a good unit. I have the Aqua vu’s new Micro camera & I am very happy with that unit. It is a color portable unit that you can fit in your pocket.

hank-s.
    Pardeeville, WI 53954

Checking the 2 side by side is a great idea, however, be aware that seeing in air is not the same as seeing in water. Though one may look better in the air medium, water clarity and light conditions can make the view totally opposite when comparing that ability. I have found the flat screens the best way to go just from a convenience and weight standpoint. Pocketbook will drive your efforts for sure.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Quote:

however, be aware that seeing in air is not the same as seeing in water. Though one may look better in the air medium, water clarity and light conditions can make the view totally opposite when comparing that ability.

Totally agree.

I have a better example to make my point with comparing side by side in a store.

Last year There was a MarCum VS-825sd next to a new model that just came out. Looking through the cameras at the aisle of products behind me, I could read the labels of the products with the 825sd, looking at the other camera, there was no way of telling what the wording said. I could see the black lines, but not the words. Disclaimer: MarCum had an 8 inch screen and the other had a 7″.

Last weekend I stopped in at a retail location and looked at at a top end camera. I move the camera to view the auger box that was right next to it. The bright red color on the box was…pink! Went through the adjustments and I couldn’t get it close to being red much less bright red.

The worst thing a buyer could do is to go, look at one camera and say WOW! that’s a good picture. It’s comparing them side by side that’s going to tell the tail. Much like a TV set or computer monitor.

For in the water, I just assume that all cameras have DarkWater Technology that allows a person to see under low or no light conditions. A trap I’ve been in before.

If the camera you’re looking at doesn’t have DarkWater Technology, walk away from it. Ice fisherman see more cloudy, overcast and dark time fishing that their summer brothers. If your camera can’t see in the dark because of the snowstorm effect, what good is it?

Underwater cameras are great fun and are an awesome tool to put more fish in your frying pan.

Ingy

The VS 380 is a decent system with a good camera. The downside is the CRT screen is heavy and bulky, and outside viewing sucks.
    If you can wait til the St Paul ice show, you should be able to pick one up for $250.

Ingy

Coffee
    Burnsville, MN

Brian
    really lots of thanks for your input. One of my biggest frustrations with a low end unit I have is lower light visability. For that reason I have not used a unit in rivers which is where I spend 1/2 my fishing hours. St Croix
    and Sippi. Ice fishing is where I would like a big improvment on visablity. Ice show here I come. would still like to get one under $300 best value for the bucks

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Quote:

One of my biggest frustrations with a low end unit I have is lower light visability. For that reason I have not used a unit in rivers which is where I spend 1/2 my fishing hours. St Croix
    and Sippi. Ice fishing is where I would like a big improvment on visablity.

You and 1000’s of other anglers! I seldom used my MarCum 560 unless I knew it was going to be a bright day. Didn’t make a difference if it was the led or IR lights. Deep or Dark made those cameras pretty much useless except for holding a spare battery for the flasher. LOL!

You’ll be good with the VS-380.

Hope to see you at the ice show!

Coffee
    Burnsville, MN

Thanks for everyone’s input. I ended buying the Marcum VS 380 at the Ice fishing show. Incredible deal @ $199. It was defintely the place to be for deals, especially the last day of the show. thanks Dave

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Quote:

Incredible deal @ $199.

That’s NUTZ!!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.