Bench seat or Cushion seat??

• arklite881south
    Participant

As I look to add a house to our fleet this season I’m wondering how many guys have used the bench seats versus the swiveling Cushion seats? Do you like it?? Why did you choose the bench versus a swiveling model? Thinking of trying something different, and would like some advice from guys that have used them.

http://www.otteroutdoors.com/fishhouseseats.html

Steve Root
    Participant
    South St. Paul, MN

Jeez I remember when a 5 gallon pail was the lap of luxury. You youngsters are getting soft

arklite881south
    Participant

Quote:

Jeez I remember when a 5 gallon pail was the lap of luxury. You youngsters are getting soft

Fortunately I’ll have one or the other I’m sure. Still lord knows I spend my share of time on my padded “Snosuit” knees from Late Feb. until April!! Usually about April I’m concerned towards the end of the day whether I’ll be able to make it back up to my feet.

Steve Root
    Participant
    South St. Paul, MN

Well my wife found a couple of “stadium seats” at a garage sale a few years ago. I made bases for them out of 1x3that sit on the Otter Sled. It’s worked out well, they’re pretty comfortable. The only drawback is that they must have been made for LSU fans…they’re tiger striped! A little ostentatious for my taste. I know what you mean about the knees. I’m an old Hockey Goalie. On a good day I can get up the basement steps

G-raff
    Participant
    Rochester, MN

I like the bucket seats myself. That way if someone if shorter or taller they can adjust the seat to fit them. And if you need to get something from under the seat only one person has to get up instead of everyone. A bench is more limited. Plus if you are going to sit there for a long time the buckets are more contoured and comfortable. IMHO

hank-s.
    Participant
    Pardeeville, WI 53954

IMHO, the bench seat would have some drawbacks. If you think about why you are in a shack, it is either weather related or because you are a customer with a (fantastic)guide and you have been put on a spot to fish. That means a fair amount of time on a seat. Padding is requried for comfort as well as the space for movement and/or just sitting. Depth of seat space more than width is critical . Also, some like to move themselves into different positions that would not be doable with a bench seat. Just some thoughts.

gary d
    Participant
    cordova,il

Being a little heavy in the middle I like swivel seats for the turning around bit, also a back rest is a must. I think swivel seat are heavier,but if you pull with a sled it will not be a factor. I think some huts have a rear door. I vote swivel seats. Good luck on your decision.

arklite881south
    Participant

Quote:

Well my wife found a couple of “stadium seats” at a garage sale a few years ago. I made bases for them out of 1x3that sit on the Otter Sled. It’s worked out well, they’re pretty comfortable. The only drawback is that they must have been made for LSU fans…they’re tiger striped! A little ostentatious for my taste. I know what you mean about the knees. I’m an old Hockey Goalie. On a good day I can get up the basement steps

Hey Rootski…..Being an old hockey goalie may mean someday you too will look towards the “Cushy” side. BTW I have a “Smooth Move” seat on my WX2100 also!! WORTH EVERY PENNY!!

Wade Boardman
    Participant
    Grand Rapids, MN

I have a bench in mine. It works great EXCEPT for when I want to lounge. Lean back and relax. It does not work for that at all.

I know you and James run and gun so the bench wouldn’t be an issue there. However I’m sure you have some clients that enjoy sitting back and relaxing. This isn’t so great for that. It’s almost like sitting upright at your desk with proper ergonomics. You just can’t lean back and chill with great comfort.

To bad you are a dedicated Otter guy. I’m selling this house.

arklite881south
    Participant

I do like to customize positions for each man based on hole locations……..

One of the things I have been pondering is on the occassion we have 3 customers in the shack. This is normally when a customer has a couple kids along, or a two adults and one child. I was thinking possibly the bench might warrant some consideration here. The other thing I was thinking was even fishing alone possibly the bench empty space could be used for placing things within easy reach….

Keep the thoughts coming guys; I greatly appreciate your feedback. Right now my houses all have swivel seats.

arklite881south
    Participant

Quote:

I have a bench in mine. It works great EXCEPT for when I want to lounge. Lean back and relax. It does not work for that at all.

I know you and James run and gun so the bench wouldn’t be an issue there. However I’m sure you have some clients that enjoy sitting back and relaxing. This isn’t so great for that. It’s almost like sitting upright at your desk with proper ergonomics. You just can’t lean back and chill with great comfort.

To bad you are a dedicated Otter guy. I’m selling this house.

Wade thanks for your input. Do you feel the bench style set up limits your gear placement options?? I guess that brings up another possible concern considering the items we pack.

hank-s.
    Participant
    Pardeeville, WI 53954

Quote:

One of the things I have been pondering is on the occassion we have 3 cusomers in the shack. This is normally when a customer has a couple kids along, or a two adults and one child. I was thinking possibly the bench might warrant some consideration here. The other thing I was thinking was even fishing alone possibly the bench empty space could be used for placing things within easy reach….

Keep the thoughts coming guys; I greatly appreciate your feedback. Right now my houses all have swivel seats.

Good points, for my money and comfort I think I would consider a larger shack with front and rear seating at that point. As long as you are being specific in application, my preference would be the swivle seat back to back.

arklite881south
    Participant

Quote:

Quote:

One of the things I have been pondering is on the occassion we have 3 cusomers in the shack. This is normally when a customer has a couple kids along, or a two adults and one child. I was thinking possibly the bench might warrant some consideration here. The other thing I was thinking was even fishing alone possibly the bench empty space could be used for placing things within easy reach….

Good points, for my money and comfort I think I would consider a larger shack with front and rear seating at that point. As long as you are being specific in application, my preference would be the swivle seat back to back.

I actually have that style of set up and just have issues with overall heating along with WIND. Very “roomy” yet catches wind like a cirus tent I’ve also found in COLD conditions a Mr. Heater on high struggles to keep fisherman comfortable. Concept good…..My experience…..NOT so good.

chamre68
    Participant
    Moorhead, MN

We use one with a bench because of initial costs not knowing any better. I would definitely go with the swivel seats next time.

lhprop1
    Participant
    Eagan

I had a bench seat in my Frabil and I hated it so much I ripped it out and now sit on a bucket.

Granted, that porty is so old that I think Julius Caesar might have fished out of it, so they’ve probably made some advances in bench seat technology since then.

The bench on my old school Fish Trap isn’t too bad. I just put a throwable cushion on there for some padding.

hank-s.
    Participant
    Pardeeville, WI 53954

Sounds to me like it is time for the newest and greatest design session. Put some good practical heads together and come up with a new unit that will meet some of these new needs. It certainly would sell if most of these ideals could be met. Room yet portability, movability and mobility, easy to heat with accessible storage. Ever heard of the Tardis from Dr. Who? However, I am serious about a new design for this appliaction.

doubleshot
    Participant
    Brooklyn Park, MN

I have the bench seat in my Otter. Have for about 7 years now. Never had a problem with it and enjoy fishing in this house. I don’t have any time in swivel seats to make a fair comparison.

At purchase time, I chose the bench seat because it provided protection (from above) for the gear below. Creates a nice flat surface under the travel cover that has enabled me to easily strap additional items to the top of the sled for hauling out on the lake.
    Have never felt limited on items I can fit under the bench either. Regularly have a 20lb tank, heater, flasher, camera, poles, etc….

Wade Boardman
    Participant
    Grand Rapids, MN

Quote:

Wade thanks for your input. Do you feel the bench style set up limits your gear placement options?? I guess that brings up another possible concern considering the items we pack.

Chris, I’ve never thought to myself “man, I hate this thing. It’s always in the way.” So take that for what it’s worth. I’m not out there as much as you are and I’m sure I have been willing to work around things vs. buying or customizing exactly what I need/want for day to day use.

I can tell you at times it’s a great work bench for gear and tools instead of having them buried in the tub or stashed outside.

arklite881south
    Participant

Quote:

I have the bench seat in my Otter. Have for about 7 years now. Never had a problem with it and enjoy fishing in this house. I don’t have any time in swivel seats to make a fair comparison.

At purchase time, I chose the bench seat because it provided protection (from above) for the gear below. Creates a nice flat surface under the travel cover that has enabled me to easily strap additional items to the top of the sled for hauling out on the lake.
    Have never felt limited on items I can fit under the bench either. Regularly have a 20lb tank, heater, flasher, camera, poles, etc….

7 years experience right there!! Thank you and valid points concerning gear protection underneath the bench seat. Few things are more important to me that protection of my gear during transport.

arklite881south
    Participant

Quote:

Quote:

Chris, I’ve never thought to myself “man, I hate this thing. It’s always in the way.” So take that for what it’s worth. I’m not out there as much as you are and I’m sure I have been willing to work around things vs. buying or customizing exactly what I need/want for day to day use.

I can tell you at times it’s a great work bench for gear and tools instead of having them buried in the tub or stashed outside.

The “Inside Work Bench” is something I too have considered even for my personal shack. I always seem to be rigging flags or something. INSIDE work is always a bit easier on my hands.

sandmannd
    Participant

Go with the seats. Way more comfortable.

Richard V.
    Participant
    Somewhere over the rainbow

I have a bench in my cottage, it sits high enough there is no shortage of space in the sled. The bench sits rather loose on the square tubing so you can slide it forward or back about 6″, I really didn’t like that feature so I put a bunch of electrical tape on the square tubing and clamped the seat on top of the tape. ecnook talked me into getting a bench, heck he even straps his auger down on top of his bench giving him more room under the seat.

Anyway I have room for one of my rod boxes, auger with auger shield, and a couple 15″ X 24″ plastic totes full of my smaller gear. This is my setup when pulling the sled on foot. As a matter of fact the Otter rod box can stand up under the bench seat…

arklite881south
    Participant

Thanks guys. Currently I have 2 Otter Portables with individual seats. This information provided has been helpful deciding whether to go “Bench” or stay “Swiveling” on this years insualted Otter Add!!

Again the knowledge and experience we are able to share as a whole is priceless. Thank You!!

cdn
    Participant
    West Central, MN

I have had the bench seats on different Otters over the years and I prefer them for these reasons…
    -If I’m alone, I can place my tackle and rods on the seat next to me.
    -I’ve been known to lay down and take a snooze after a long day/night of fishing.
    -Kids…much easier for my kids to go fishing with me on the bench.
    -Bench folds completely out of the way so I can load the entire sled with ease, with the frame flipped over or not.

Otter has definitely improved the individual seats over the years, and they are very comfortable.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.