Ice Report

• Zach H
    Participant

Can anyone tell me what the ice conditions on Osakis are currently? I am looking at pulling a house up with the truck next weekend (1/10) and was wondering if I will be able to pull the house out with the truck. It is a 8×16 house with a weight of 4200#. Any information would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Calvin Svihel
    Northwest Metro, MN

There has been vehicles on Osakis for several weeks now. Both down on the south end near Town Bay and up in the traditional north end bay near Head Of The Lakes resort with vehicles and larger wheel and permanent houses. Typically there is a breaker near battle point or Holiday resort which is right where the main basin begins to neck down heading to northern basin. I fished it 2 weeks ago and drove a 1/2 ton on. We had 13-14 inches on average in northern basin. I am sure with this cold recently it has made more ice. Good luck

Good luck

TimJones
    Participant
    Lake Osakis,MN

You’ll be fine on most of the lake. The only place that I would wonder about might be Four Mile Bar as I haven’t actually seen any trucks out there yet. From my place I could see some heading down that way today. The DNR access in Miller Bay which is the closest to Four Mile is impassible because the ice has pushed up the concrete ramp. They have been going on from the parking area just north of the ramp but that looks a little rough. They are driving on most of the area from Crow Point north and then east to Manthey’s Bay. The pressure ridge that had formed south of Battle Point has healed up pretty good and people have been crossing that at various points. If you plan to cross it and not sure where, the best place is to go to the west side of it just outside the rushes and cross there. Getting to be a lot of houses out there. Going to have to find me a good spot away from the crowd.

Zach H
    Participant

Looks like someone found a spot to fall through tonight. This picture was taken off of battle point.

Attachments:
    1. IMG953303.jpg

TimJones
    Participant
    Lake Osakis,MN

Guy obviously didn’t know where he was going. The east end by Battle Point is the worst part of the ridge. That’s why I mentioned the best place to cross is the west end by the rush’s. That spot has been marked with some weighted down 5 gallon bales with white flags sticking out of them. I’m wondering how much of that ridge is going to become unstable with this real cold weather coming. Could be a lot of expansion going on.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.