Ice Report

• TimJones
    Participant
    Lake Osakis,MN

Took a drive around Lake Osakis earlier. It appears the cold and calm winds we had last night made a lot of ice. From what I could tell it appeared the lake was locked up except there was a small open area in Manthey’s Bay that had a couple trumpeter swans swimming around and another small area in front of Holiday Resort that had some ducks swimming around. The rest was all ice, thin ice. Don’t know if it will hold up over the next 5 days. High of 38 tomorrow, 46 and showers on Friday with high winds, 36 Saturday, 44 Sunday and 44 Monday. The lows over night aren’t going to dip very low. If it was a few inches thick I wouldn’t be to concerned, but as thin as it is, could be bad.

Rod Bent
    Participant

Thx, keep em comin

fishingallday
    Participant

Thanks for the updates greatly appreciated!

fishingallday
    Participant

How’s the ice holding up today? if there is even any left. Saw they got rain and warm temperature.

TimJones
    Participant
    Lake Osakis,MN

Latest ice observation from this morning. This is for the north end of the lake only. Didn’t get south of Moon Bar so don’t know what it looks like south of there. There is a stretch of open water out near the middle west of Battle Point that is a couple hundred yards long. The area from the north side of Coonhoven Bay over to Coon Point and east to about Lindberg Point is all open water. The 145th access to Manthey’s Bay was open yesterday for about five feet out from shore but had a thin crust of ice this morning but I don’t think it will last the day.

TimJones
    Participant
    Lake Osakis,MN

Finally got some time to get out this afternoon. Fished the Schultz’s Bay area out to about half way to Battle Point. Had six inches everywhere I went. Stayed away from any of the areas that were recent lock ups. But don’t take my word for it. If you go out any place, check for yourself as you go. Saw a couple spear houses out, a couple other portables, and one atv.

Darrin Bonnema
    Participant

Hi Tim- Just wondering how the ice conditions currently look? I am thinking about driving up this weekend, and just wondering if I should plan on bringing the wheeler or not? Thanks for any input.

fishingallday
    Participant

I know on the north end they had around 5-6 inches of ice last Friday. I was fishing there last weekend in Schultz Bay and had 7 inches on Sunday so there is probably more now. If you do go out on your 4-wheeler be careful. The main part of the lake was open last Saturday and by Holiday resort was a big open area. When we went home on Sunday from I could tell the whole main part of the lake was frozen but not sure with the wind this week if it still is.

bigbeard
    Participant

I’ll be hitting the ice for the first time this year on Saturday. Any luck last Friday Tim? Plan is to hit Fletch early and on the ice before sun-up. Can’t wait!

TimJones
    Participant
    Lake Osakis,MN

Hi Tim- Just wondering how the ice conditions currently look? I am thinking about driving up this weekend, and just wondering if I should plan on bringing the wheeler or not? Thanks for any input.

Depends on where you go with your atv. Some of the areas just locked back up last night. Manthey’s Bay is probably ok as well as the area between Battle Point and Buck Point and Schultz’s Bay. If you come on at Battle Point, head straight out from the access. Don’t venture out towards the point itself. Both sides of the point were open water up until last night. Saw a small flock of Trumpeter Swans swimming in the water on the north side. What ever you do, check the ice thickness yourself. These high winds that we have been having are doing some strange things out there.

TimJones
    Participant
    Lake Osakis,MN

I’ll be hitting the ice for the first time this year on Saturday. Any luck last Friday Tim? Plan is to hit Fletch early and on the ice before sun-up. Can’t wait!

I guess you got me on this one. Where or what is Fletch?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.