Ice Out Pike…Can't Wait!!

• trapsht
    Rockford, Il

Fishing ice out pike at Pasha Lake has been on my bucket list for many years. It’s finally going to become a reality in 2 LONG weeks. We’ve all seen the video of James and Chad catching these fish on jerkbaits a few years back. I would love a few suggestions for attacking these pre-spawn fish. I’ll be armed with jerkbaits, small bucktails, spoons, and spinnerbaits. What’s left in your bag of tricks for early season pike? Personally, I haven’t had a lot of luck with swim baits and pike.

I might try a little brook trout fishing as well. I’ll be sure to have a full report with pics when I return.

patk
    Nisswa, MN

I would love a few suggestions for attacking these pre-spawn fish.

Couple things, I think you’ve got your tackle selection in a pretty good place. Good call on small vs big bucktails. Only thing might be crankbaits. Often I’ve hit the pike when using Rapalas looking for walleye.

One note – probably talking post-spawn fish. I thought pike spawned under the last ice or immediately after.

Michael Bryant

I have had success with soft plastics Berkley or Storm swim baits 4 to 5 inch range. I caught a 30in Northern 2 weeks ago and she was spawned out, and very agressive.

jon amundson

Glide baits, glide n rap and larger sub walk. Can put it in there face and twitch with almost no forward movement. Works good if you know fish are in area but won’t eat. Good luck

Attachments:
    1. images-1.jpg

2. images.jpg

John Carlson

A group of us fish ice out pike on St. Joe and we have the best luck with Little Cleos.

bigpike

Tough to beat the slow wobble of a spoon, I have been very surprised over the years at how a small lure can catch such big fish at ice out. So dont necessarily go big. These fish are in recovery mode so don’t play them long if you can help it. If your not fishing Nipigon then dead bait would be a great option.

patk
    Nisswa, MN

I have had success with soft plastics Berkley or Storm swim baits 4 to 5 inch range

What kind of jig heads do you like when targeting pike?

trapsht
    Rockford, Il

Thanks for all the solid advice fellas…I will definitely apply your recommendations. I only have 3 days of actual fishing. Praying for good weather.

Chad Thompson
    2 hours from Thunder Bay, Ontario

Hard to beat the X Rap, although a Johnson Silver minnow can be just as lethal

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.