Ice out on Big Stone?

• John Gildersleeve
    Frazee,MN

Whats your thoughts on date the ice goes out on Big Stone?

Jeffrey Trapp
    Milbank, SD

Close to May 1st. I drove my truck out 4 days ago. Still 26″ of ice. Hopefully by the 28th for the first tourney but that will be pushing it.

Jake D
    Watertown, SD

Going to be very close for the 1st Tourney there. Looks like some temps in the 60’s over the weekend and next week but might be to little to late

zooks

Agree with what’s been said. The lower half of the lake got snow (6″-12″) this weekend while the upper half got much less. You’d likely be able to take wheelers and ice fish opener this coming weekend if the shorelines hold up. I would say the tourney on the 28th is 50/50 at best.

The thing to remember for Big Stone ice out is that with the run off from the Whetstone, the Little MN River, and surrounding streams, the water level will rise 12″-18″ and floats the ice sheet and it tends to happen all of a sudden. This same thing happened in 2013 when they ice fished opener weekend with 24″+ ice, I went out the next Friday and while people had wheelers out fishing the day before, there was a 5 foot gap of open water at every shoreline from the water level rise.

John Gildersleeve
    Frazee,MN

Interesting and makes sense. I have a room booked the last weekend of April. I will keep hopeful. What tournament is on April 28?

Fife
    Ramsey, MN

Guys were out this weekend with jet skis and wakeboards.

zooks

Interesting and makes sense. I have a room booked the last weekend of April. I will keep hopeful. What tournament is on April 28?

Big Stone City Liquor Store has a 99 boat tournament, was called the Border Challenge in a former life.

huskerdu

Last week in April in a boat on Big Stone, things need to change a lot, on normal year Big Stone used to be our go to lake to many tourneys now.

tornadochaser

South end of the lake, not much for open water though.

As mentioned above, a fast snow melt in the watershed next week will help get the ice out started, but my guess is first week of May.

zooks

Yes, the Whetstone always pushes in every spring and opens up a section at the foot of the lake. There’s lots of ice on the other 25 1/2 miles, though.

FWIW, ice out in 2013 was on May 8 and I would say that’s probably a fair target at this point.

Dusty Gesinger
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

How is the ice doing on big stone? Anyone get out this weekend?

jkarels

Havent been out there or heard any reports but my mom sent me a pic yesterday saying ice is gone. She lives about half way up the lake.

Jake D
    Watertown, SD

It’s entirely open. Wader fished last night and it was very slow.

Mos’

Is the north end full of that weed again? Last year where I had gotten fish before on the north end was choked out with those weeds? Im not even sure what type of weed it was but it was sure thick and green for April! Is that a year to year thing or should be be planning on learning the south end of the lake better?

Jeffrey Trapp
    Milbank, SD

There are weeds but they aren’t as tall as years past….yet. Fishing has been slow.

zooks

Is the north end full of that weed again? Last year where I had gotten fish before on the north end was choked out with those weeds? Im not even sure what type of weed it was but it was sure thick and green for April! Is that a year to year thing or should be be planning on learning the south end of the lake better?

It’s curly-leaf pondweed, starts greening up/growing under the ice in about mid Feb then dies off in the heat of summer. Artichoke Lake east of Ortonville had it bad about for about 4-5 years then all of a sudden it mostly went away, locals are hoping the same thing happens on Big Stone soon.

https://www.dnr.state.mn.us/invasives/aquaticplants/curlyleaf_pondweed.html

Mos’

Great thank you for the link! Yes hopefully it does cycle through because it made pitching jigs up there pretty pointless! Do you think it effects the spawn/walleye movement at all or just make fishing difficult?

Jeffrey Trapp
    Milbank, SD

IMO it’s the best thing that has happened to the lake. The panfish spawn in them and make more forage for the walleyes. It also protects the fish from some of the fishing pressure. It is a major PIA when you want to fish those areas though…

zooks

IMO it’s the best thing that has happened to the lake. The panfish spawn in them and make more forage for the walleyes. It also protects the fish from some of the fishing pressure. It is a major PIA when you want to fish those areas though…

I mean, besides the fact that it’s an invasive plant I’d agree it’s been generally quite good for the gamefish in that it gives them relief from angling pressure for a good portion of the year. I can’t speak to the effect the pondweed is having on other species like native plants, mussels, insects, etc.

Mos’

Makes sense! And like I said I just need to not be stubborn and go learn some of the south end of the lake. I gotta imagine even though I see alot of trollers down there a guy can still pitch jigs in areas

Mos’

Stubborn and still went north last night.. pitched MN side north of Yankeetown, didn’t even get a bite. Weeds weren’t as bad so figured I’d find something at least!

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.