Ice Out Guesses – Is Opener in Jeopardy?

• crossin_eyes
    Participant
    Lakeville, MN

Seeing very few recent reports. West Wind added some photos to their FB page 6 days ago and it still looked like the middle of winter. Our group stays at a cabin near Talmoon and drives up to the lake for opening weekend. Thinking we might need an auger this year…

Jason
    Participant

It will be open with all of the rain they have been getting. More coming this weekend I see as well.

buckybadger
    Participant
    Upper Midwest

Without being from the area or seeing it daily, I’d still bet it will be clear by opener.

If the windy pattern doesn’t calm down, I’d hate to have property too close to the shoreline of any of MN’s big lakes that are still iced though. It’s probably been a blessing in disguise it has stayed this cold. If some of those sheets had room to move the last 10-12 days, some people’s homes/cabins would be wiped out by it stacking up.

tegg
    Participant
    Hudson, Wi/Aitkin Co

I noticed this weekend some small bodies of water near Carlton (less than 25 acres) haven’t pulled away from shore yet unless there was a culvert or some moving water. Ice still felt pretty solid under foot as well. Looks like the 10-day is showing a lot of cloudy cool days ahead. Might be worth having some smaller lake plan B alternatives unless we get a string of warm sunny days.

carver
    Participant
    West Metro

Opener on Vermilion will probably not happen unless we get 60 degrees days and rain for 3 days straight.

Long term forecast does not look good. I’ll be walking out with an auger.

fishthumper
    Participant
    Sartell, MN.

Its going to be close. My bet is that it will not be totally ice free by opener. Looking at the current 14 day forecast, No daytime highs about 50 and night lows in the upper 20’s to upper 30’s. Not great ice melting weather. There are some ( not much ) rain in this weeks forecast. That plus some higher winds will help. Like I said, its going to be close. If I was to have to make a bet on it, I’d say NO

Justin riegel
    Participant

In the past haven’t they closed the fishing on parts of the lake during late ice outs?

BigWerm
    Participant
    SW Metro

I bet it’s open a week before opener which is a little late this year on May 14th.

gimruis
    Participant
    Plymouth, MN

I’d have a plan B if you intend to fish anywhere in the northern 1/3 of the state on opener.

glenn57
    Participant
    cold spring mn

Seeing very few recent reports. West Wind added some photos to their FB page 6 days ago and it still looked like the middle of winter. Our group stays at a cabin near Talmoon and drives up to the lake for opening weekend. Thinking we might need an auger this year…

dang crossin-eyes we are only 7 miles west of talmoon!!!!!!!!!

whereabouts talmoon……..by the way hayslips in talmoon has a meat raffle every friday night!!!!! devil jester peace

i am headed up there this afternoon….if i remember i will give an update on what i see!!!!

crossin_eyes
    Participant
    Lakeville, MN

glenn57 – Just North of Jessie Lake off of 4. Etters road.
    We’ve had some close ones in the past, with ice going off of Red just a day or 2 before opener. Keeping our fingers crossed.

glenn57
    Participant
    cold spring mn

I should know where that road is, but can’t place it. frown we are on Peterson lake just off cty rd 29 headed towards wirt! Not far from that old school, north elementary.

glenn57
    Participant
    cold spring mn

Just figured out where Etters road is!!👍 That road actually goes down to the south end of Peterson lake to the cabins on that side the lake!! I go back there occasionally chasing tree chickens!!!

KPE
    Participant
    River Falls, WI

We’ve seen this many times before. I think we had ice out 6 days before opener a few years ago on Vermilion? Vermilion was showing 24″ of ice a couple of days ago but again it doesn’t bother me.

glenn57
    Participant
    cold spring mn

Is there any open water on red currently???

With that lake being fairly shallow once mother nature cooperates with some sun, wind and warm rain, I would think the ice could disappear fast

crossin_eyes
    Participant
    Lakeville, MN

Yup, that’s the road. Goes to the back side of Peterson Lake. My friend’s cabin is right before the big left hand turn that goes toward the lake.

There is 0 open water on Red. Last week even the boat harbors were still locked up tight. Pics I saw looked more like Mid-Feb than Mid-April.

glenn57
    Participant
    cold spring mn

Well I’m up here. This is our shoreline. I needed to put waders on to get lake water but I could see take a chisel and bust completely through a good 10 ft out.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_20220426_173347330_HDR.jpg

Charlie W
    Participant
    TRF / Pool 3 / Grand Rapids, MN / SJU

Currently living in Thief River. Not looking good for red or LOW at this point. Rivers are gushing with last weekends rain and more supposed to fall this weekend. It’s going to be close but there’s still a few feet of pretty good ice yet.
    If we get another few inches of rain like last weekend with more big winds Red will be open.

Bearcat89
    Participant
    North branch, mn

I drove by red 2 days ago and the only open water I could see was right at the river launch.

Dennis Williams
    Participant
    Apple Valley, MN

Red
    ID: 04003500
    Median ice out date: April 28
    Earliest ice out date: April 18, 1983
    Latest ice out date: May 17, 1996

Probably be open. Heading up on the 18th. It’s going to be a good bite.

Michael Best
    Participant

Some pretty good progress the last couple of days.
    A week to go and my guess it will go just in time.

Attachments:
    1. 94B5CC8F-DB1D-42CC-9C17-579B3E618F90.png

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.