Ice Out Cats

• bigstick56
    Lester Prairie, MN

Last few years we have been fishing this chain through the ice and targetting catfish, it is truely a good time catching a nice cat through the ice….with the ice off the lakes, I want to go with the boat and try to get after them. Is it a safe bet to start where we caught them through the ice? I planned on anchoring up and putting the clicker rods in the rod holders with a 1-2oz weight 10-18″ snell to a circle hook with crawlers, chicken liver and cut up minnows…..am I on the right path? Never tried this business out of a boat but thought it would be a great way to spend a few hours from a boat…..Let me know or if you got any other pointers for a rookie boat catfisherman…..

smokinbobo
    Monticello / Guthrie, MN

I did well out there on eaters last summer and that was the first time I’d been. I am interested to get back out there this spring too. Hope someone with some experience on the spring bite chimes in.

bigstick56
    Lester Prairie, MN

Well, we gave it a try this weekend and had to do some fine tuning but after a few spots and some tweaking of our presentations we got on a hot school of Kittens and put the smackdown on them. This was a great time on the water and cant wait to get back out there…..

Attachments:
    1. Catfish.jpg

2. Catfish1.jpg

glenn57
    cold spring mn

just out of curiosity……………now that you got them what od you do with them? do you just take the backstrap out??????

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Fillet them. They’re delicious.

bigstick56
    Lester Prairie, MN

Fillet them, Soak them in water for a couple days. Then the recipies are endless. Soak in brine and smoke, deep fry, pan fry, bake or grind em up into spicy catfish balls and deep fry em…..a personal favorite.

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

Fillet them, Soak them in water for a couple days. Then the recipies are endless. Soak in brine and smoke, deep fry, pan fry, bake or grind em up into spicy catfish balls and deep fry em…..a personal favorite.

you should share some of your catfish recipes in the recipes section. it sounds good!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.