Ice Man Cometh!

• Rich Stuhr
    Participant
    South Dakota

The forecast looks promising to cap some water in the Dakotas and MN this upcoming weekend. Fished this past Friday and the water temps were still around 47 in NE SD so it may take a few nights but with highs below freezing and single digit (possibly negative) lows forecast through all of next week we should hopefully see a good start!

Dutchboy
    Participant
    Central Mn.

Won’t be long before the first fool falls through thin ice attempting to get that first ice fish.

Charles
    Participant

Bring a chipper, can’t wait for first ice lol.

mrpike1973
    Participant

Can’t wait here’s hoping!

FinnyDinDin
    Participant

You know first ice is getting close when the curmudgeon’s start talking smack about the first ice fisherman.

Looks like one more weekend of hunting then it is time to hit the ice!

Nodak
    Participant

All first icers just casually go on the lake without any precautions whatsoever. None of them drill test holes, use spud bars, carry rescue gear, or read ice conditions. And nobody has experience except the guy behind a keyboard judging other guys

Also sarcasm.

suzuki
    Participant
    Woodbury, Mn

I’m a first icer but I may give it up this year to extend my pheasant season. Ill still be an early icer though!!

CaptainMusky
    Participant

When people are driving atvs out I walk. When people drive out I use an atv or snowmobile. Definitely not a first icer.

Ralph Wiggum
    Participant
    Maple Grove, MN

Pssh. I saw a Maple Grove girl wakeboarding a few days ago. peace

buckybadger
    Participant
    Upper Midwest

It’s coming. Even here along Pool 4 there are some days forecasted to not get to freezing.

I just have way too much crap to do before the ground freezes and snow is flying. Looks like some late nights in the fields, in the yard, and in the garage.

Hard Water Fan
    Participant
    Shieldsville

The forecast is looking favorable!

Nodak
    Participant

When people are driving atvs out I walk. When people drive out I use an atv or snowmobile. Definitely not a first icer.

Thats not a bad rule to go by. My rule is I take the recommended ice thickness chart and add 3 inches for each thing. Also I dont drive until other people are doing it in same areas in accordance with first rule.

Eelpoutguy
    Participant
    Farmington, Outing

I broke my “don’t be the first” rule last season.
    Went out Thanksgiving weekend, I thought I did good re-con. Well I didn’t fish that weekend but dang near went swimming. crazy doah

Rich Stuhr
    Participant
    South Dakota

Even in my hay day I was never a first icer. Pretty much have followed Captain Musky’s rule of thumb over the years as well…never the first one on or last one off!

mahtofire14
    Participant
    Mahtomedi, MN

As long as it’s 3-4 inches of good ice and I have my spud, I go out. First ice or not, doesn’t matter.

bigstorm
    Participant
    Southern WI

Sometimes Im a first on the ice guy, other times Im pushing the guy in front of me, but always in shallow water for that early – if Im going thru, I want to be able to stand up and just be cold/wet and get out. I feel comfortable on good/clear ice once it hits 3in+. For deep water, I prefer to wait until its closer to 4in

chuck100
    Participant
    Platteville,Wi.

Well Frederick the old curmudgeon’s are right.

Iowaboy1
    Participant

Frederick, we didnt get to be old curmudgeons by being dumbazzes, sometimes it pays to listen to a few of them, it could mean your life.
    Fish are cheap at the supermarket and there isnt one swimming thats worth mine until its safe.

MX1825
    Participant

Are these 1st ice guys young 165 pounders or old 250 pounders? Asking for a friend. whistling

gimruis
    Participant
    Plymouth, MN

I’m a first icer but I may give it up this year to extend my pheasant season.

I like it. I hunt until the season ends.

glenn57
    Participant
    cold spring mn

my brother went out fishing thursday before deer opener and said water temp was still45 degrees. that was in Itasca county….think it might be a bit yet!!!

FinnyDinDin
    Participant

I’ll probably be out by next weekend if the temp forecast holds. That is unless there are good duck numbers hanging around. Floating suit, pics and a spud. Early ice isn’t rocket science. People who go through don’t take precautions. If you are smart you aren’t on ice that will be a problem and in worse case scenario you get out if you do go through because you are equipped.

But I bet it’s a lot more fun sitting on your couch calling the guys fishing dumb azzes.

Bob Ford
    Participant
    West Side Mille Lacs Lake

I’ll probably be out by next weekend if the temp forecast holds. That is unless there are good duck numbers hanging around. Floating suit, pics and a spud. Early ice isn’t rocket science. People who go through don’t take precautions. If you are smart you aren’t

[quote=2158212]I’ll probably be out by next weekend if the temp forecast holds. That is unless there are good duck numbers hanging around. Floating suit, pics and a spud. Early ice isn’t rocket science. People who go through don’t take precautions. If you are smart you aren’t on ice that will be a problem and in worse case scenario you get out if you do go through because you are equipped.

But I bet it’s a lot more fun sitting on your couch calling the guys fishing dumb azzes.

amem brother. Stay safe and ill be out as well.

Deuces
    Participant

Not a big ice fisherman but there definitely is something special popping holes in virgin ice.

Iowaboy1
    Participant

Frederick, Being the first one to do anything can be loads of fun especially if there is some risk to go along with it, I know, I have been there many times myself.
    I do believe that risk is a necessary thing at times, its when its unnecessary and tragedy could’ve been avoided is where many of us have trouble when a life is lost or changed forever.

It could be that using the term dumbazz wasnt the right terminology to use but many of us here have known of someone, lost a loved one or close friend ( I have ) to thin ice even after they were warned of the what ifs and they chose to go anyway.
    Sure, experience is everything right?? it helps I will give it that but in my mind ice is a fickle thing when its less than 3 inches thick, especially where currents or springs that are unknown in new to us places can exist.

I could go on but I am sure you know what you are doing so let me reword my previous dumbazz comment with the following.
    Frederick and other first ice pioneers, I wish you all of the luck in the world but we do not want to read about you in the obits so please just be extra damn careful, someone somewhere is counting on you to come home safe.

Nodak
    Participant

Every human action has risk but early ice can be mitigated to acceptable levles of risk. Risk adverse people can often times be unfairly critical of others especially without even knowing how certain risks can be mitigated. Occasionally see youtube videos of people calling the cops in urban areas because they dont even realize there are ways to do it more safely.

Matt Waste
    Participant

As long as it’s 3-4 inches of good ice and I have my spud, I go out. First ice or not, doesn’t matter.

EXACTLY! Its not rocket surgery to not fall through. I wear float
    Suit, picks, keep dry clothes in truck and spud bar your way out so you can follow same path back. Just be prepared and use your brain. Best fishing of the season is first ice.

AK Guy
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>mahtofire14 wrote:</div>

EXACTLY! Its not rocket surgery to not fall through. I wear float
    Suit, picks, keep dry clothes in truck and spud bar your way out so you can follow same path back. Just be prepared and use your brain. Best fishing of the season is first ice.

And last ice.

gimruis
    Participant
    Plymouth, MN

Its not rocket surgery to not fall through

I think people are generally pretty careful about the first ice when they start walking out there. The people I know creep along with a spud or ice pick to ensure there is solid ice in front of them.

The issue seems to rear its ugly head a little later when people think its safe to drive a truck out there. Or when a big piece of ice floats off from the main land like on Lake Superior.

From the DNR website:

Attachments:
    1. ice_thickness_banner.jpg

Steven Krapfl
    Participant
    Springville, Iowa

Are these 1st ice guys young 165 pounders or old 250 pounders? Asking for a friend. whistling

I’m the latter. I am usually the one that has to go out first, the guys I fish with figure if the ice is safe for Steve, it’s safe for them. I gotta start ice fishing with Andre the Giant, so he goes out first mrgreen

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 58 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.