Ice fishing Line

• TD H10
    Participant

Ready to put some new line on my reels and wanted to reach out to the IDO community to find out what line is preferred amongst the hardwater anglers out there.
    I have been using Suffix Ice Magic and have been really happy with the performance…

Tharin Benson
    Participant
    NE Iowa

I am going to try Pline Floroice this year. I’ve heard good things about it, and my friend swears by it. 3 lb. for panfish and 5 lb. for eyes. I was using Berkley MicroIce before, and didn’t have any complaints about that.

Craig Sery
    Participant
    Bloomington, MN

Pline is great stuff!

monstermatt
    Participant
    Minnesota

It’s Suffix ice magic for me.

lrott2003
    Participant
    Wisconsin

Either is great I use ice magic for panfish 3 lb then for walleye use braid with 6lb pline leader.

bigstorm
    Participant
    Southern WI

I normally use Sufix Ice Magic, 2lb or 3lb for pannies and 6lb for walleyes. Last year I tried the Sufix Floro Ice, 4lb on my bullwhip, going back to Ice Magic, the Floro Ice seems to stiff and would come off the spool on its own once in a while

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

I have been using Suffix Ice Magic and have been really happy with the performance…

If it ain’t broke, why fix it comes to mind here.

Matt Brookman
    Participant
    Stillwater, MN

Stren Gold 2lb for Panfish and 4lb for perch, 6lb Pline fluoroclear for walleyes, 8-10lb Pline fluoroclear leaders paired with suffix ice braid for trout.

Sean bailey
    Participant

For me it all depends on inside or outside. Floroice outside when it’s cold and 832 ice when inside or it’s warm enough out to fish a braid.

Chandler Husbye
    Participant
    Michigan Upper Peninsula (Bay de Noc area)

Power Pro ice for deep water with a fluorocarbon leader.

Will Roseberg
    Hanover, MN

For 95% of my winter fishing I’ve converted over to using 100% Suffix Fluorocarbon. I love the low visibility and while being slightly stiffer does have some negatives I find that it has less much less memory than mono meaning that it doesn’t turn into a slinky as quickly when using the small spools. It does have some stretch however so I’ll have a rod in the box spooled with 832 and a fluoro leader for anything deeper than 30′.

Will

Dusty Gesinger
    Participant
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

I completely agree with Sean!

Tyler Warner
    Participant

I usually use whatever lb fireline for most situations and a fluoro leader but I’ve got some 2lb ice magic and 4lb seaguar invizx to try this year.

Hoyt4
    Participant
    NULL

Suffix ice magic for most my rods also have suffix braid on a couple rods for eyes.

Fishing Devils if we are deeper water I have Suffix fluorocarbon for the perch.

waldo9190
    Participant
    Cloquet, MN

Here’s a question for the folks using braid. Being that most ice braids only come in 50 yard spools, which generally isn’t enough to fill a reel, are you using a flouro/mono backing to fill the first portion of the reel? In the past, I’ve just bought the larger open water spools, but I have a hard time spending $18 for 125 yards of superline when you’re only going to ever touch about 1/3rd of that throughout the life of that line while ice fishing.

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Invisiline 3# for pannies. 4# for eyes. Anything deeper than 30′ I don’t fish for ethical reasons. No sensitivity issues down to 30′, use a slightly heavier bait.

I too believe in flouro for pannies, have caught when others right by me nothing, and believe the line was a factor. Walleyes still undecided, 6# was way to big for the lakes I fished last year though.

Justin Phillips
    Participant
    Bloomer, WI

Sufix Ice Magic 3 pound for pannies, Sufix Ice Magic 6 pound for eyes. 10 pound flouro for the few times each winter I fish Chequamegon Bay/Apostle Islands for trout/salmon.

zooks
    Participant

Gamma Ice ESP or Sufix Ice Magic for me. Have not used P-line enough for an opinion, I don’t care for braid or fluoro, and all other monos I’ve tried either have too much stretch, memory or both for my taste. Good luck with what you decide.

Bill Sackenreuter
    Participant
    Devils Lake ND

Rather then putting backing on You could wrap spool with some hockey tape and no need for fancy knots to tie 2 lines together,832 with a flouro leader for me.I prefer 500 size spools on all my ice rods.

Joshua
    Participant
    Wisconsin Rapids, WI

stren crappie mono

ethan meyer
    Participant

trying the Sunline 2 and 3 lb ice flouro this year in the gold for visibility. If its as good as the softwater line I think i will love it, only downside is $. Got it on sale at fishusa so had to give it a try…

tim hurley
    Participant

P-line for less than 20′. power pro for over, with a leader if needed. Flouro?
    Not as invisible as they say and it stretches more than mono! Coily too. Flouro has great abrasion resistance, also does not absorb water but neither does p-line .

glenn-d
    Participant
    N C Illinois

Asso line from Bobbers Down best line I’ve found out there yet.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.