Ice Fishing Gloves

• Kyle Wills
    Participant

Anyone have a suggestion for a good, quality ice glove? I’m looking for something waterproof, form fitting and most importantly with dexterity that I don’t have to always take it off. I’m seeing high end hunting gloves that fit this, but not much in the ice fishing category.

mnrabbit
    Participant
    South Central Minnesota

Still searching as well, however I haven’t good success with any Ice Armor products, specifically gloves. Went through several pairs over a few winters, and they continually ripped on me after minimal use. One pair was about 10 minutes. Another lasted maybe a month. They did have great customer service and always replaced them for me. I have since gone with a nice snowmobile glove (can’t recall the brand) and have liked it for the warmth and dryness, but it is a little bulkier than I’d like for fishing.

Bassn Dan
    Participant

http://www.cabelas.com/product/ICEARMOR-THE-EDGE-GLOVE/1962919.uts?slotId=6

I have been wearing these the past 2 years. They are very warm, totally waterproof, and reasonably dexterous. Also they are a great price.

x2 on Dan’s recommendation. I won a pair of these last year. I avoid wearing gloves as much as I can, but my hands would go from REALLY cold to instantly warm when I put them on and I could still feel bites well while wearing them.

crappie55369
    Participant
    Mound, MN
    TD H10
    Participant

Agree on the ice armor gloves… didn’t last me long switched to a neoprene type glove.

Bassn Dan
    Participant

Agree on the ice armor gloves… didn’t last me long switched to a neoprene type glove.

Ice Armor gloves had a bad reputation a few years ago, but the 2016-17 gloves that I have seem to be very well made.

Aaron Drier
    Participant

I use a gauntlet style glove, made by Hugger. They were the only ones I found for guys with big hands 3X+

The Pessimist
    Participant

Kast Steelhead gloves. Best fishing gloves I’ve ever owned. Only downside is they are pricy. Worth the cost in my opinion.

Ryan Wilson
    Participant

I’ve found that those specs are hard to truly come by without spending the premium they ask for (pretty much any brand).

In my search a few seasons ago for EXACTLY what you’re asking for I ended buying a $12 pair of wool fingerless gloves and I honestly couldn’t be happier. The wool keeps your hands warm even when it’s wet (unless you’re fiddling with things below the ice like traps or something). They will get fish funk on them after handling a bunch of fish all day but nothing that washing them won’t take care of but you’re hands are dry and warm. The fingerless aspect keeps my finger tips open for 100% dexterity and they also stay warm because the rest of me is dressed properly. I’ve worn them outside in at least single digit temperatures and cold fingers were never an issue for me.

Apparently I’m that guy on the forum that says the opposite of what you asked for but they work great for me and are cheap enough to buy 2-3-4 pairs and be good for a long while, have spares, or just to try out.

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

I’m with Ryan, I like the wool gloves, with the flip over mitten option. Cheap, bring 2-3 pairs along and work great. Using them this weekend in the boat.

Only downside is hooks always seem to find a way into the fuzz, but I can deal with that.

bigpike
    Participant

Love the fingerless wool gloves for fishing and hunting.

walleyedude1
    Participant

I have had a pair of ice armor extreme mittens for about 4 seasons. They are awesome, best I have ever had

glenn-d
    Participant
    N C Illinois

I like the wool gloves too as they seem to keep your hands/fingers warm even when wet however they catch hooks a lot. My index fingers get cold really fast so I’ve really relied on the Frabill gauntlet gloves because they’re super warm. I can get them off really easy and handle fish all day because they’re pretty waterproof but they are cumbersome although easy on and off. I also use the Under Armor cold gear gloves when not to cold which happens a lot here in Illinois just to keep the wind off my hands but they will get wet.

Kyle Wills
    Participant

Thanks for the input guys. Seems what I am looking for I will need to reach into the pocket book a little deeper. However, I did find a glove by Simms that may work. Anyone have any experience with the Simms Skeena Glove?

http://www.cabelas.com/product/SIMMS-SNEEKA-GLOVE/2054704.uts?slotId=0

Another option I’m comsidering is the KUIU Expedition Glove. Its made for hunting but like it would suffice for ice fishing as well.

http://www.kuiu.com/hunting-gloves/expedition-glove/80026.html?cgid=glove-system&dwvar_80026_color=ViasCamo#start=8

I dont mind paying for quality gear if it fits my need.

Eelpoutguy
    Participant
    Farmington, Outing

Kast Steelhead gloves. Best fishing gloves I’ve ever owned. Only downside is they are pricy. Worth the cost in my opinion.

These look very good. I tried ordering a pair of XL’s but they are out of stock everywhere.
    To me, that’s a good sign.

Chris Messerschmidt
    Participant
    Minnesota

I normally where a pair of the wool gloves with the fold over fingers. Last year I tried a pair of Clam Dry Skinz gloves that were new. They were actually awesome. Obviously if its crazy cold out and you get them wet they will freeze, but these were perfect. No leak issues, which really surprised me. They were also warm. I am probably going to pick up another pair just to have if I freeze a pair.

Evan Pheneger
    Participant
    Hastings, MN

Got these for Christmas a few years back. Very good dexterity, warm and so far waterproof

+1 kinda on the glacier gloves. For dexterity and waterproof they are great. I spend most my time outside the shack and these are good to about -5 then after that I have to go to big mittens to stay warm.

They also wear very fast. In the last 3 years I have gone through 6 pairs or 2 a year. Once they wear they are not waterproof.

Matt Brookman
    Participant
    Stillwater, MN

X3 on the Ice Armor by Clam Outdoors Edge Glove. I have ten pairs randomly spread between my boat, ice shack, truck, house, and wheeler. So I’m never without gloves if I forget them.

philtickelson
    Inactive
    Mahtomedi, MN

I actually really like these gloves:
    http://www.cabelas.com/product/STRIKER-ICE-MENS-SECOND-SKIN-GLOVES/2574400.uts?slotId=3

They are kind of a weird style of glove. They are really lightweight, so I have no problem with operating a spinning reel or anything(although will normally take one of them off to unhook a fish so the hook doesn’t get caught in them). They are waterproof (but they do retain water if you were to submerge them, so you don’t really want to do that).

They aren’t super warm, but they are quite a bit warmer than normal ‘form fitting’ gloves. They are great for hole hopping with a noodle rod, can operate the auger switches without taking them off, and the marcum, etc.

They also don’t have a super tight cuff, which makes them fairly easy to get on and off(unless your hands are really wet).

I understand if they don’t fit everyone’s style though.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.