I really miss…

• eyefishwalleye
    Central MN

the SW side of Mille Lacs as I remember it growing up. Port Mille Lacs, Bitzan’s Bait, Shore Acres Resort, Fort Mille Lacs (the big map and the black licorice ice cream), Root’s Resort, Eddy’s (pre-band), Edgewater Motel, Drift Inn, Vineland Bay Resort, Roll In Lodge, Cash’s Store… I’m sure I’m forgetting a few others from days gone by. Anybody else have any memories of these places?

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Hell, you’re older than I am. jester

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Change happens all around IfishWalleys.

I was just talking to a friend trying to explain the good times there was along the river and how it’s changed.

Although the place has a warm fuzzy history, it’s making its own legacy now.

The Hag asked the question in a song “Are the good times really over for good?”
    I’m here to say, the good times are where ever a person makes them…

and I’m off to have a great time at the family fishing event in Hastings with Carpenters Nature Center family fishing event. waytogo

tomr
    cottage grove, mn

I miss Lakeside on the east side. Place was always kept up to min standards but seem to fit me just fine. Things do change and agree with you Brian!

eyefishwalleye
    Central MN

I think you’ve got me by a few years Dutch… I’m 53. Not sure if you’ll remember but we met once in the early 90’s. Rainy River, parking lot of the Baudette Motel. You had a gal with you, I was with my father and Pete the barber. You had the side storage spaces in your boat packed with snow and a limit of walleyes and we talked about how the fish smelled like the Fort Frances paper mill. Those times I don’t miss… it’s nice now that the Rainy and the fish don’t stink like they used to…

eyefishwalleye
    Central MN

I remember Lakeside I used their ice roads quite a bit in the late 80’s. Lakeside was knocked down and turned into condos, wasn’t it?

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Blue beery pancakes at Fort Mille Lacs. I wish I could have them just one more time.
    Or play pinball at the Y.

tomr
    cottage grove, mn

I remember Lakeside I used their ice roads quite a bit in the late 80’s. Lakeside was knocked down and turned into condos, wasn’t it?

Yes condo now. What a shame, Henry put together a great piece of property, could have been the best resort on the lake if someone got ahold of it and put some money in.

eyefishwalleye
    Central MN

When it comes to blue beery this is the cat’s meow!

Attachments:
    1. image.jpeg

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

I think you’ve got me by a few years Dutch… I’m 53. Not sure if you’ll remember but we met once in the early 90’s. Rainy River, parking lot of the Baudette Motel. You had a gal with you, I was with my father and Pete the barber. You had the side storage spaces in your boat packed with snow and a limit of walleyes and we talked about how the fish smelled like the Fort Frances paper mill. Those times I don’t miss… it’s nice now that the Rainy and the fish don’t stink like they used to…

jester Nope not me. I’ve never been to Baudette, the Baudette motel, don’t fish in the snow and have never had a limit of Walleyes in the livewell. I’m not a Walleye guy, especially on Rainy.

But…..I wouldn’t mind meeting you sometime. grin

And yes, I am older than you are. I’m surprised whenever anybody remembers Cash’s store.

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

I’m sure I’m forgetting a few others from days gone by. Anybody else have any memories of these places?

I’m certainly old enough but our family never made it there back in those days. We always pushed farther north to Ely.

A couple places I hear about, Myr Mar Supper Club and the Headquarters Lodge. Not a good pic of Headquarters but I attached it anyway.

Also a vintage Mille Lacs map showing some of the places you mentioned…

Attachments:
    1. Garrison-Lake-Mille-Lacs-Headquarter’s-Lodge-ca-1950s.jpg

2. Vintage-ML.jpg

eyefishwalleye
    Central MN

Yes Headquarters Lodge Had the best shrimp around!

MNdrifter

I’m not all that old (37). But Ive had some good times in the SW corner as well. Eddy’s, and edgewater mostly. Lol. About 15 years ago I took my wife up there fishing when we first started dating. We were fishing in Vineland bay, and there wasn’t another boat in sight. She just was laying in the bottom of the boat tanning as not to get tan lines shock . She got a little frisky, next thing you know the boat was a rocking. woot We were too busy to notice but an Eddy’s charter had snuck up on us. All of a sudden they started cheering from 50 yards away! redface Wife was mortified! rotflol The stories and memories that so many people have of that lake.

Pailofperch
    Central Mn North of the smiley water tower

MnDrifter, that was you???? shock
    So, I gotta ask, what’s your wife upto these days? whistling

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

Place was always kept up to min standards.

That is a good way to describe the place….

Always have been an east sider. Really miss Ozzies. Also miss the old Karpens. $20 bucks got you an ice shack with a fan to sleep in. A shower in the morning and a boat launch off the beach.

-J.

eyefishwalleye
    Central MN

Red Eye Resort out on Big Point…

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.