I don’t brag much, but Wisconsin

• Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Wisconsin guys/gals are putting the hammer down on the wolves. Dnr just sent out that 3 zones will shut down tomorrow the 24th. Not bad, 3 Zones hitting quotas in 2 days.

Way to go WI hunters/trappers!!!!

super_do
    St Michael, MN

Good that they are hitting their quotas! Maybe wolf numbers are higher than reported………

Bob Schultz
    Wausau,Wi

Zone 2 is at quota. Zone 6 is already one over. Numbers were updated again at 12:40.

Timmy

My takeaway is that a quota that is hit that quickly indicates that either the animals are very easy to get(I don’t think so) or there are a heck of a lot more of them than estimated. Good on the guys thinning them out!

Musky Ed

At my previous house north of Eagle River, had a pack of 5 wolves on my and my neighbors land, while the local dnr was saying their were no wolves in the area at that time. That was really comical as there was one with a collar on denned up on the side of an embankment 25 yards from my workshop. They were flat out lying to us, as with the radio collar on, they knew full well that at least one wolf was just over 100 yards from my house. When I threatened to have fill dropped off over the embankment to cover up the den, they got put on a spot, and finally had to admit we had wolves there. Timmy hit it right on the head. There is a lot more wolves than they are letting on.

beardly
    Hastings, Mn

Question on the Ceded territory taking 50%. Do they hunt them as well or just take the permits so they can’t be hunted? I am guessing no.

Quote from the article above:
    “According to DNR, the total harvest quota this month was set at 200 wolves. However, the agency explained half of the allotment within ceded territories have been reserved in response to a declaration by the Ojibwe bands.”

CaptainMusky

At my previous house north of Eagle River, had a pack of 5 wolves on my and my neighbors land, while the local dnr was saying their were no wolves in the area at that time. That was really comical as there was one with a collar on denned up on the side of an embankment 25 yards from my workshop. They were flat out lying to us, as with the radio collar on, they knew full well that at least one wolf was just over 100 yards from my house. When I threatened to have fill dropped off over the embankment to cover up the den, they got put on a spot, and finally had to admit we had wolves there. Timmy hit it right on the head. There is a lot more wolves than they are letting on.

That is much like the DNR in MN (likely WI too) putting their head in the sand about Cougars as well.

CaptainMusky

Question on the Ceded territory taking 50%. Do they hunt them as well or just take the permits so they can’t be hunted? I am guessing no.

Quote from the article above:
    “According to DNR, the total harvest quota this month was set at 200 wolves. However, the agency explained half of the allotment within ceded territories have been reserved in response to a declaration by the Ojibwe bands.”

I thought I read they were against it so my guess is it is to protect them.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

That is much like the DNR in MN (likely WI too) putting their head in the sand about Cougars as well.

Not to get off topic, but the MN DNR says there aren’t any mountain lions in MN? I know there’s photos of them on trail cameras from time to time so there must be a few passing through. Whether there is a reproducing residential population is probably unconfirmed as the nearest population is in western SD.

deertracker

Not to get off topic, but the MN DNR says there aren’t any mountain lions in MN? I know there’s photos of them on trail cameras from time to time so there must be a few passing through. Whether there is a reproducing residential population is probably unconfirmed as the nearest population is in western SD.

I’ve personally seen a dead one in west central MN. It was almost 10 years ago though. If I remember right, the DNR said it was a female. Not sure how long it had been there as it was decayed pretty good.
    DT

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Do their hides have any value?

Bob Schultz
    Wausau,Wi

Just announced that the other 3 zones will also close tomorrow.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>CaptainMusky wrote:</div>

Where have you seen/heard the MN DNR say there aren’t any mountain lions in MN? No idea where people are getting that from.

The MN DNR has consistently said there have been and probably are normally small numbers of mountain lions in the state. They have said there isn’t evidence of a breeding population of mountain lions in the state and that is based on the fact that no pictures or evidence of dens, kittens or juveniles have been taken/found in the state.

Grouse

Tom P.
    Whitehall Wi.

I am guessing that many of the Wolves that were taken was from known packs that people have seen on a regular basis, and could be having problems from them being around there property. Being close to humans they may not be as afraid of seeing or being around humans.

My nephew who is south of Arcadia Wi. has a cougar on his trail cam only ever got 2 pictures and none since that was about 4 years ago.

Pat McSharry
    Keymaster
    Saint Michael, MN

My takeaway is that a quota that is hit that quickly indicates that either the animals are very easy to get(I don’t think so) or there are a heck of a lot more of them than estimated. Good on the guys thinning them out!

I follow the Voyageurs Wolf Project page on facebook and they contradict themselves all the time. They will post an aerial image showing which packs live where and how many wolves are in each pack. For instance one particular pack had 3 wolves in it. One week later they will post “hey look at this cool video we captured on trail camera of said pack!” The video shows 7 wolves walk past the camera……

Don’t get me wrong I love following that page and it has a ton of interesting information, but sometimes I’m definitely left rolling my eyes.

IceNEyes1986
    Harris, MN

I follow that page as well, Pat, and completely agree! They definitely put in their time with cameras & collars, but also I feel sometimes they are WAY off on “guessing” their numbers.. Either way, it’s a neat page to follow even if I disagree with some of their information.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

I’m no established wolf hunter and know little about them. Is there a “trophy sized wolf” or what is a good sized one?

My buddy who filled his tag north of Hayward sent a picture of one. He said it was 97#. It had a nice looking coat that was real light gray, almost white looking.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Where have you seen/heard the MN DNR say there aren’t any mountain lions in MN? No idea where people are getting that from.

The MN DNR has consistently said there have been and probably are normally small numbers of mountain lions in the state. They have said there isn’t evidence of a breeding population of mountain lions in the state and that is based on the fact that no pictures or evidence of dens, kittens or juveniles have been taken/found in the state.

That is what I was getting at. I think a few solitary males do pass through looking for females or trying to establish a new territory but as far as a reproducing population, there is a lack of evidence on that front.

CaptainMusky

Grouse

They’re not saying they aren’t here they are saying they are young males that are transient and do not live here. The fact that a female was hit by a car near Bemidji states otherwise. The interesting tidbit is that the DNR was involved in actually bringing them here from SD and elsewhere, but they will NEVER admit that.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I’m no established wolf hunter and know little about them. Is there a “trophy sized wolf” or what is a good sized one?

My buddy who filled his tag north of Hayward sent a picture of one. He said it was 97#. It had a nice looking coat that was real light gray, almost white looking.

If it is a reasonable sized animal and it has a nice pelt (no mange), in my book that would be a “trophy.”

Any wolf tag filled would also be considered a rare feat, regardless of its pelt quality or size.

Pat McSharry
    Keymaster
    Saint Michael, MN

I’ve never wolf hunted, but i’ve been around a lot of wolf hunters in NW Ontario. If I remember correctly a guide up near Kenora told me the biggest one he had weighed was around 120lbs. Seemed like most of them were between 80-100 pounds. 97 lbs is definitely not a pup!

super_do
    St Michael, MN

They’re not saying they aren’t here they are saying they are young males that are transient and do not live here.

I’d be curious why they wouldn’t live here? A deer taste different to them in a different state?

bigpike

115 of 200 tags went to natives who will not fill any of those tags. Wouldnt get too excited about the season. But a few dead wolf’s is better than none.

CaptainMusky

They’re not saying they aren’t here they are saying they are young males that are transient and do not live here.

I’d be curious why they wouldn’t live here? A deer taste different to them in a different state?

Exactly! They are vehement that they don’t though. Every time there is a sighting they say “young male just moving through”, but they show up on trail cams and other sightings with such frequency and over long periods of time that is impossible to believe.

Pat McSharry
    Keymaster
    Saint Michael, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>super_do wrote:</div>

Exactly! They are vehement that they don’t though. Every time there is a sighting they say “young male just moving through”, but they show up on trail cams and other sightings with such frequency and over long periods of time that is impossible to believe.

If they admit to any extent that they do live here, then they have to come up with a management plan for them that would cost a lot of time and money. Until there is a significant population I doubt they will do that.

CaptainMusky

If they admit to any extent that they do live here, then they have to come up with a management plan for them that would cost a lot of time and money. Until there is a significant population I doubt they will do that.

100% but all it does is make us not trust them even more by all the lies or omissions. I mean, they cant really think we are fools can they? LOL

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.