I Cried Today

• eyeguy507
    SE MN

the best thing about taxes is you don’t pay them, they just take them. and on top of that, they know how much you owe them but they want you to pay another $200 to find out how much you owe them. GOD BLESS AMERICA!

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

If I ever complain on the internet about my money as much as you guys, Im gonna take the initiative and just move to a lesser-burden state.

Amen

jimmysiewert

Absolutely you can move to a different state – or move on to a different thread. Remember. Silence doesn’t bring change – whether good OR bad.

iowa_josh

I saw a little pond open today by Des Moines. It is coming.

breakerbreaker
    Inactive

I saw a little pond open today by Des Moines. It is coming.

saw some nut out on a lake down by davenport last week

Denny O
    Central IOWA

It’s been said many times and it’s hard to accept, but if you get a big refund back most years you need to look at your situation and change your withholdings through out the year. Don’t let the Gov. use your money all year for free. Don’t with hold so much and invest it. Just my opinion

I agree with that,
    Plus,
    I don’t bitch having to pay more than I estimated, That just means that I made that much more income!

LabDaddy1

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Bearcat89 wrote:</div>
    Same boat. Highway robbery.

yo you got to stop working 70 hours a week! after like 48 hours you are just helping everyone on welfare.

It’s true Ron, that overtime pay can really screw ya

brandyman
    West central MN

What about the huge budget surplus in Minnesota? Over taxing is how we got that! I don’t want it back, but fix the dang roads and maybe tax a little less next year.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

What I hate is the punishment for being fiscally responsible.

I get hammered on my investment capital gains which I won’t ever liquidate until I’m retired or in the event of something catastrophic. They in no way change my spending habits or my day to day life. It’s my guarantee that I can take care of myself and my family.

Meanwhile there are plenty of dips**** with the newest latest greatest everything blowing $$$ like it’s nothing and have no strategies for the future first and foremost. Something bad happens or they simply outlive their fiscal plans by many years and they are waiting with open hands for help after making careless choices their entire career

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

but fix the dang roads

I’m perfectly fine with using a large chunk of the surplus for this purpose. The roads are in rough shape right now and its gonna get worse until about May when they can actually get in there and do it.

Iowaboy1

I dont mind paying taxes as long as they go for the intended purpose, our military, roads, space programs within reason etc.
    The problem I do have?? If I typed what I really thought would pizz of the libs here and thats just too damn bad.
    Another thing that irks me to no end, when a subscription provider like US Screwular .et.al take money from you to support their agenda, an average of two percent of what you pay!!!
    While I am at it, AARP, what a flipping joke!!!

I enjoy being a member of this forum, gained a lot of friends here and its good that we all have an opinion and for the most part can respect each other.
    That said, I will never apologize for where I stand, and if you dont like it, go suck an egg, I will complain where my money goes if its taken and used without good judgement.

All lakes, ponds, streams, rivers, etc around me have been wide open for over a week now.

Gitchi Gummi

Doesn’t really matter if you get a refund or pay, that’s just a reflection of whether too much or too little was withheld throughout the year. If you claim 0 on w4 you have the maximum withheld and and will probably get a refund unless you are married and combined income goes above a certain bracket.

well said Reef. If you have to pay in a bunch at the end of the year, that means you did a poor job estimating your tax liability and adjusting your withholdings. Same thing can be said if you get a big refund at the end of the year.

As gimruis mentioned more than once, one of the biggest changes this year is the lower child tax credit (CTC). BUT, if you are smart enough to know that it is only a decrease this year because it was a temporary big bump previously due to special COVID/pandemic tax changes, then its not as big of a change in the grand scheme of things.

This year saw a lot of the COVID era tax credits expire. So no, your taxes didn’t skyrocket this year. They returned back to normal from a temporary reduction due to COVID.

Other big year over year tax law changes for 2022 include:
    -The standard deduction increased $400 for single, $800 for married (favorable)
    -Tax brackets shifted up slightly to align with inflation (favorable)
    -IRA and 401k limits increased slightly (favorable)
    -HSA annual contribution limits increased slightly (favorable)

Reiterating what Reef said, your tax bill/refund is a function of your ability to estimate your tax liability throughout the year and adjust your withholdings accordingly. It sounds like some of you need to meet with an accountant earlier in the year so you can better plan for your tax situation rather than waiting until the year is over and complaining that you didn’t withhold enough.

Ripjiggen

Thank you for answering my question.
    No I won’t be crying.

CaptainMusky

I don’t know why it’s hard to understand people being frustrated by the amount of taxes paying in and no it’s not about underestimating what to withhold I claim zero and have for a decade and even take out more. Problem is we’re taxed too much. The state has a record surplus that we’ll never see and still taxes increase. I’m hoping the bonus I received last year helps since it’s taxed at such a high rate but I doubt it will make a difference.

Gitchi Gummi

I totally understand frustration over your tax position. But once elections are over, you don’t have any control over that. What you do have control over is whether you pay in at the end of the year or get a refund. Stressing out over things out of your control isn’t going to get you anywhere.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

yo you got to stop working 70 hours a week! after like 48 hours you are just helping everyone on welfare.
    [/quote] while i agree that after 48 hours your tax liability is greater, i believe at the end of the year your final tax bracket is based on your gross earnings for the year and usually comes out int he wash.

at least thats what i’ve been told in the past!!!!!!1

ajw

The apathy shown by some here is why we’re in this position.

Hold your government accountable. It’s your American duty.

MX1825

Exactly!
    It never upset me paying taxes.
    It p me off how our government spends it!! flame

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Perhaps you can elaborate on how to do this.

I did my part when I voted last November. Unfortunately, it was not the results I was hoping for. Maybe the results will be more “favorable” next time around.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

It’s true Ron, that overtime pay can really screw ya
    [/quote]

There is a small hack to that. Only work 36 regular hours in the week and pile on 30 ot. Taxes hit way less. But being a single male who makes decent money they like to sneak there fingers in my wallet, especially on the years I don’t claim my son. We do every other year and this isn’t the year for me. Paid in 40k in income tax and now they want more. It’s sad when I work as hard and much as I do, and they just want more. As for adjusting my taxes accordingly, I claim 0 and have forever.

Gitchi Gummi

How exactly is complaining on an outdoor forum going to hold the government accountable? There are constructive and effective ways to make your voice heard by elected officials. Complaining about it on an outdoors forum isn’t going to get you anywhere.

It’s crazy how much people gripe about the state of Minnesota on this site. No one is forcing you to live and pay taxes here. There are 8 states with no state income tax calling your name.

breakerbreaker
    Inactive

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>ajw wrote:</div>

There are constructive and effective ways to make your voice heard by elected officials..

GO on…You really think the elected officials care about your opinion, thats laughable.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Eelpoutguy wrote:</div>
    For some of us it doesn’t matter what you claim. They just take it.
    They take $.49 out of every $1.00 i make.

Wtf does that have to do with refunds or payments at the end of the year? Explain how those change you total tax liability…

You pay “estimated” corporate tax from what you did the previous year.

Steve Hix
    Dysart, Iowa

There must be more to the story. There is no 50% tax bracaket.

Reef W

Cool story, still irrelevant to what I said though.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

There must be more to the story. There is no 50% tax bracaket.

I said $49.
    And there is when I pay the feds, mn, and mn corporate.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Cool story, still irrelevant to what I said though.

When your a business owner you cannot zero out through what you claim on a W4.

Gitchi Gummi

GO on…You really think the elected officials care about your opinion, thats laughable.

I think it’s likely to be more effective than complaining on an outdoors forum.

big_g
    Isle, MN

I seen there was a movie about David Koresh & the Branch Davidians last night… was on really late. Anybody catch it ? whistling

Viewing 30 posts - 31 through 60 (of 194 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.