Hwy 72 between Red Lake and Baudette

• CaptainMusky
    Participant

Since Arneson’s doesnt have any plowed roads I would imagine they would operate as normal though it may be a slow go if its really windy. Their houses are generally not too far from the resort unlike some of the resorts off Adrian’s etc. Most are within a few miles.

Coletrain27
    Participant

OK so another question, as this is my first sleeper trip on LOTW – Arenesen’s has some pretty impressive track vehicles, but when conditions get really bad (IE 45 MPH wind and snow), do they ever pause operation? Sounds like we’ll be getting there during the heart of the storm.

I assume those of you who say you’re cancelling this weekend are doing a DIY trip with a wheelhouse and your lake access depends on plowed ice roads from a resort, correct?

Yea I have a wheelhouse and need plowed roads to be able to fish. If your going through a resort I would not cancel. I’ve only been to arnesons once and it was early ice and they were using Chevy trackers then. I’m not sure what they have for tracked vehicles. Give them a call and they can tell you everything about it in 5 mins

Bearcat89
    Participant
    North branch, mn

OK so another question, as this is my first sleeper trip on LOTW – Arenesen’s has some pretty impressive track vehicles, but when conditions get really bad (IE 45 MPH wind and snow), do they ever pause operation? Sounds like we’ll be getting there during the heart of the storm.

I assume those of you who say you’re cancelling this weekend are doing a DIY trip with a wheelhouse and your lake access depends on plowed ice roads from a resort, correct?

If you are not pulling a wheel house I would t worry about what way to drive. But yes they will still shut down in white out conditions. Your best bet is to call them

KP
    Participant
    Hudson, WI

We are going out of River Bend Resort this weekend and will be in the day houses Saturday and Sunday. I sure hope we will be able to get out to them Saturday morning. This is my first time staying with them and not sure if they have tracked vehicles or not. May have to give them a call today.

CaptainMusky
    Participant

I’ve only been to arnesons once and it was early ice and they were using Chevy trackers then. I’m not sure what they have for tracked vehicles. Give them a call and they can tell you everything about it in 5 mins

They use those early ice, but they have a fleet of tracked vans they use once ice is thicker.

glenn57
    Participant
    cold spring mn

well for all you diehards still heading that way…….

GOOD LUCK AND ESPECIALLY BE CAREFUL AND STAY SAFE!!!!!!!!!! waytogo peace

phishingruven
    Participant
    tip of the mitten

We are going out of River Bend Resort this weekend and will be in the day houses Saturday and Sunday. I sure hope we will be able to get out to them Saturday morning. This is my first time staying with them and not sure if they have tracked vehicles or not. May have to give them a call today.

i used river bend resort a couple of years ago. they did not have tracked vehicles and we drove our truck to our day house.

Dutchboy
    Participant
    Central Mn.

Forecast looks like 1-3″ of snow with winds in the 30’s gusting to 50 mph.

Stay safe if you are heading North tomorrow.

brandyman
    Participant
    West central MN

On my way back South from wheelers point right now. I would say 2″ overnight on the lake. Just started to blow when we left Baudette. Visibility at 1 mile or less. Lots of traffic headed north!

ThunderLund78
    Participant

Made it safe! Grabbing a quick bite on the lodge and loading up in the track van. Went up 35, hit snow at Hinkley at 7:30 AM and it never stopped. But was able to maintain highway speed all the way to Baudette. Blowing like CRAZY but only really bad road was the last 15 miles when we turned on Rocky Point. Now time to relax and get our fish on!

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

Good Luck out there!

-J.

KP
    Participant
    Hudson, WI

Roads aren’t too bad heading up here and just taking it slow. I hope they don’t shut the roads down on the ice.

BigWerm
    Participant
    SW Metro

Good luck to anyone heading out in this stuff. Put your anchors in first or you might end up in Sconnie! rotflol

Coletrain27
    Participant

I’m sure glad I didn’t make the 7 hour drive. Zipple bay where my shack is at is shut down.

My brother and some other guys are up there camping in portable hubs right now. That didn’t look like much fun. He sent me a video and it was a total blizzard 15 miles out on Adrian’s road shock

glenn57
    Participant
    cold spring mn

pretty sure i seen that shack sitting in the bay when we where up last weekend!!!! waytogo

Coletrain27
    Participant

pretty sure i seen that shack sitting in the bay when we where up last weekend!!!! waytogo

Nice, did you light it on fire? Thats about how I feel after doing terrible fishing all year rotflol

tim hurley
    Participant

Did that road in a ’87 2wd nissan. I do not like that road.

glenn57
    Participant
    cold spring mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>glenn57 wrote:</div>

Nice, did you light it on fire? Thats about how I feel after doing terrible fishing all year rotflol

rotflol nope not an arsonist. waytogo

Coletrain27
    Participant

Haha sounds good. At least I know it’s still there then. Thanks waytogo

ThunderLund78
    Participant

Looks like we’ll be getting it coming and going. Winter Storm Warning through the entire mid-section of the state for tomorrow

It was, and will be, worth it, though! Had a great time with my two boys at Arnesen’s. They run a great outfit. Somewhat slow, but still enough action to keep us busy. We ate some fish and are bringing some home. My oldest tied his PB walleye record with a 28″. Hopefully a few more fish today and white-knuckle it home.

Attachments:
    1. 20220219_170542-scaled.jpg

2. 20220219_083941-scaled.jpg

3. 20220220_125322-scaled.jpg

Coletrain27
    Participant

Nice fish! Drive slow and use 4×4 and you’ll be just fine. We usually stop at the gosh dam bar and eat and stretch our legs.

Bearcat89
    Participant
    North branch, mn

A 28 makes the trip worth while any day. Along with those smiles. That 28 is what makes that lake special.

ThunderLund78
    Participant

The funny thing is, he TIED his personal best, the other one is at home on the wall. I’ve fished all my life and am 30 years older, I dont think I’ve cracked 26″.

KP
    Participant
    Hudson, WI

Looks like you had a better trip than we had. In the 2 days we fished our group of 4 caught a total of 50 fish, with the biggest being a 16 inch Walleye. It was definitely the slowest bite I’ve had up there.

I feel for some of the Resorts up there with getting help. We were at River Bend Resort and they are running 46 shacks with only 2 guides. Every morning they had to plow out the shacks and we didnt start fishing till 11 AM both days. I saw some other groups that were getting annoyed but they dont realize what goes into getting them on the fish.

The drive home yesterday was not fun at all. Just a tough weekend weather wise up there.

Coletrain27
    Participant

I wouldn’t be happy if I paid a resort and didn’t start to fish until 11am

KP
    Participant
    Hudson, WI

I wouldn’t be happy if I paid a resort and didn’t start to fish until 11am

I wasn’t happy but if you saw what they had to plow through you would understand better. The resorts up there cant control the weather and fishing is what I’m getting at.

Zippel Bay shut their road down on Friday I heard because of the weather.

Coletrain27
    Participant

Yea I understand the weather but 46 shacks and only 2 guides to take everyone out on the ice and bring them back?

KP
    Participant
    Hudson, WI

Yeah I couldnt believe it but they said finding help has been extremely tough this year. What I’m getting at is people are quick to complain and dont realize what could be happening behind the scenes or realize what it takes to get them on the fish.

Bearcat89
    Participant
    North branch, mn

Yea I understand the weather but 46 shacks and only 2 guides to take everyone out on the ice and bring them back?

Yup. Sounds like it’s being run wrong from the beginning. Not a customer service kinda place. More of a money grab. I will definitely note to not go there.

Bearcat89
    Participant
    North branch, mn

Yeah I couldnt believe it but they said finding help has been extremely tough this year. What I’m getting at is people are quick to complain and dont realize what could be happening behind the scenes or realize what it takes to get them on the fish.

Thats when they should park 26 shacks on shore and tend to the ones they can.

Viewing 30 posts - 31 through 60 (of 61 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.