No more gun cases required for WI starting 11/19/

• lick
    Participant

Personally I don’t like any rule that makes it easier for the guys that are up to no good. JMHO

mbenson
    Participant
    Minocqua, Wisconsin

Quote:

Personally I don’t like any rule that makes it easier for the guys that are up to no good. JMHO

I agree Pat!!! Most of the Gun safety instructors are not happy with it and sounds like it was proposed with little fanfare and pushed itself through pretty fast… Again more politics that don’t need to be involved.

Mark

timmy
    Participant

Case requirement or not – I am not throwing an expensive(to me) rifle or shotgun into any vehicle without a case. I worked hard enough to build up the slush fund to buy nice weapons – I danged sure want to protect them and keep them in nice shape.

T

Randy Wieland
    Participant
    Lebanon. WI

I’m not against the changes. The jerks that would do illegal stuff, will do it anyways. Some of these will make my life easier. I use a hay wagon at my shooting range. Now, as long as its stationary, I don’t need to go through all the bs with disconnecting, chucking wells, pinning the tounge….same with my trailer behind my 4wheeler. This will make it much safer for me, as I can lock the brakes and chuck a wheel and know it isn’t rolling anywhere. Plus, I no longer need to play musical chairs with my bipod when I’m just driving across a field or down the road to another property. I’ll still break it down and case for the long hall, but for all the short stuff and in and out of a truck, I’m happy.

Randy Wieland
    Participant
    Lebanon. WI

I stand corrected, I see the trailer still needs to be disconnected

suzuki
    Participant
    Woodbury, Mn

Quote:

Case requirement or not – I am not throwing an expensive(to me) rifle or shotgun into any vehicle without a case. I worked hard enough to build up the slush fund to buy nice weapons – I danged sure want to protect them and keep them in nice shape.

T

Ditto. They passed this in MN a couple years ago. It was a suprise to everybody and pointless in my opinion.

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

I for one don’t see the big deal. I grew up in SD with guns in a rack on the back window or laying on a seat. It’s just a way of life. Heck, we can even have rounds in the chamber out there. Bad guys will do bad stuff no matter the laws. To me, this law has always been pointless.

dennisdalan
    Participant
    St Cloud, MN

Quote:

I for one don’t see the big deal. I grew up in SD with guns in a rack on the back window or laying on a seat. It’s just a way of life. Heck, we can even have rounds in the chamber out there. Bad guys will do bad stuff no matter the laws. To me, this law has always been pointless.

Same in North Dakota…. No big deal!

kooty
    Keymaster

I meant magazine… Chambered rounds are a no, no.

lick
    Participant

Sorry guys not buying the WI/SD or WI/ND comparison. Too much private land here to even have any reason to carry an uncased weapon unless you plan to use it from the truck onto land you don’t have permission to hunt.

I believe out west one of the main ways to hunt is road hunt .

kooty
    Keymaster

The only game you can road hunt in SD is pheasants. Well, I suppose you could legally hunt ducks and geese this way to, but how often are they standing around in the ditches…

As for private land comparison, I guess I don’t see it. I would guess SD/ND have about the same percentage of private land vs. public as most other states like Mn & Wi.

Again, law abiding folks aren’t the problem. This law, like many others, was enacted to “slow” down criminals. And just like so many other laws on our books, the crooks don’t seem to follow them for some odd reason. At any rate, I doubt you’ll see an increased rate of poaching just because the guns are uncased.

Randy Wieland
    Participant
    Lebanon. WI

Kooty, I agree. There are some pros/cons, but regardless, I’m happy. I don’t need to take my bi-pod off everytime I need to get into someone else’s truck. My pellet guns don’t fit in traditional gun cases, so catching a ride back to my farm with someone was always a pain. I’ll still hard case them as I always do for the long haul. But for those 5 minutes on the ATV, I get to actually use my gun holders!!!!

timmy
    Participant

Biggest plus in my opinion is the ability now for a hunter to slide a gun out of a case in the back seat or pickup box to go hunting, or to lay a gun on the tailgate, or lean it against the pickup. All of these were taboo in WI in the past and now they are okay. Granted – they are all just inconveniences, but IMO, they are nothing more than an option for a chicken-s**t money grab by some yokel Barney Fife wannabe warden looking to write a ticket.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.