deer summer sausage

• big_dog_ia
    Participant
    Omaha, Ne

My buddy and I made our first batch of “Hi Mountain” summer sausage. We were conservative on the first batch. We made it by the directions, added black pepper and mustard seed, came out ok. Does anyone make their own and do any spicing up?
    We have a batch of pepper sticks curing as we speak. If anyone has the time, processing your own deer is fairly easy. We bought a grinder at BPS, the kits at Cabelas, and used an oven roaster, (smokers are the best) cut the deer up ourselves and the rest is “time”. We are in the experimental stage, wondering if anyone has any recipes or spices they would mind sharing?

If this is already posted and I missed it, please point me in the right direction. I did a search and came up MT.

Thanks
    Jason

eyebuster
    Participant
    Duluth

Here is something not sure if it is what you are looking for.

click me

eyebuster
    Participant
    Duluth

Here is something not sure if it is what you are looking for.

click me

big_dog_ia
    Participant
    Omaha, Ne

Thanks.
    I see some posts in general discussion that I missed.

big_dog_ia
    Participant
    Omaha, Ne

Thanks.
    I see some posts in general discussion that I missed.

jetro
    Participant
    Mayer, MN

When using the kits I like to use slightly less meat than directed, to increase the seasoning. They usually get a bit bland otherwise. Mustard seed is a good add for summer sausage, crushed red pepper and garlic are others.

jetro
    Participant
    Mayer, MN

When using the kits I like to use slightly less meat than directed, to increase the seasoning. They usually get a bit bland otherwise. Mustard seed is a good add for summer sausage, crushed red pepper and garlic are others.

mallard_militia
    Participant
    Fulton County, Illinois

Hi Mountain is very good. I used double the amount of seasoning for the proposed meat. I also mix equally all four flavors and marinade for a minimum of 24 hours. I tried making my own mixes before, but I can’t top the Hi Mountain taste.

mallard_militia
    Participant
    Fulton County, Illinois

Hi Mountain is very good. I used double the amount of seasoning for the proposed meat. I also mix equally all four flavors and marinade for a minimum of 24 hours. I tried making my own mixes before, but I can’t top the Hi Mountain taste.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.