Hunting dog injuries

• sliderfishn
    Participant
    Blaine, MN

I was wondering some of the experiences the IDO pet owners have had with their dogs out in the field, duck blind, etc.
    With my group of hunting friends, I have seen some pretty gnarly barbwire fence cuts, some even required staples out in the field, the owner is a vet tech and carries a staple gun with him in his dogs first aid kit. I also carry a dog first aid kit but am not comfortable performing that task. One broken leg, we took turns carring the 80 pound lab a mile back to the truck. Thankfully he is the calmest dog I have ever been around even when hurting so badly.
    I have never personally experienced any dog injuries to my dogs until this past Wednesday.
    We, the dog and I, were hunting a dirty field of corn, beans and summer wheat. Dash as always hunting hard with his tongue handing out like Micheal Jordan playing basketball. He is quartering back and forth in front of me, working the wind to his favor. He changes his strategy and starts to run straight away from me, jumping up to see over the cover. I can tell he is not birdy but just trying to catch any scent possible.
    He ranges fairly close, something I have worked hard training with him as most german shorthairs cover ground quickly, efficiently and at some great distances.
    When Dash realises he can no longer see me, he comes around and starts again searching for birds. This time as he busts through the vegetation I immediately see something is wrong. His tongue is not the normal pink color, it is red and I mean firetruck red.
    I recall him to heal and as he sits next to me, the blood is pouring out of his mouth. I give him some water that he readily accepts, most likely to remove the taste of his own blood. I try and get a glimpse of his injury but can not see anything, still too much bleeding.
    I need to lower his blood pressure, calm him down and slow down his heart beat, mine as well.., to slow his bleeding.
    My hunt is over, back to the truck asap to access the injury.
    The only issue is like most hunting dogs, Dash wants to keep hunting. He tests me every change he can as we return to the truck, healing vs hunting. It is a hard choice for a young pup.
    Upon our return to the truck, I have him kennel after placing a extra blanket in his crate to catch the still streaming blood coming from his mouth. I unload, case the gun and recall the pup out of the truck to the tailgate. He jumps up and sits, I ask him to open and he obeys by opening his mouth, I now am trying to find the source of the blood. No luck, too much blood, looking like it may be multiple sources.
    Another hunter in a pickup slow rolls past us and slams on the brakes, gets out and asks if I am alright. I say yeah I am fine, dog is busted up though. He said he stopped cause it looked like I was doing surgery on the dog. Only then did I notice I was covered from fingertips to elbows on both arms in dark red blood.
    Damn mouth wounds can bleed.
    I realize that I need some professional help and button away the gear and pup and start to the biggest town in the area. Call the wife and ask her to find the closest vets in my area, reassuring her that her beloved pet will be fine. She texts back three vets. I start calling and driving in their general area.
    First two will not take new clients even though I have a wounded dog. flame
    Third call is the charm, bring him in asap, we will be waiting for you.
    I can hear Dash lapping and licking in his crate as I drive but that ended after about ten minutes, what is he doing now I wonder, as the noise quits and it gets quiet.
    Should I stop and check on him, keep going to get to the vet.
    I heard myself exhale a deep sigh of relief when I heard the next sounds, him snoring and sleeping as he normally does when riding in the truck. Thirty five minutes later, we arrive.
    Open the rear door and Dash opens his eyes and immediately has the look of here we go hunting again.
    Bleeding has stopped but the kennel and extra blanket look like it has seen better days and my liver and ticked GSP is liver and pink from his mouth to his front paws. I place him on the tailgate for one last peek, waiting for the vets to come out and meet me. I can finally see, what I believe is the issue.
    Dash bite through his tongue, a small opening on the top but a .5-.7 gash on the bottom. The wound reopened with me looking at his tongue, blood flowed again, not nearly as much though.
    The vet came out and into the first exam room we passed. Her assessment was the same, no other damage could be found and nothing could be done as mouth wounds heal quickly.
    Her next words still haunt me, you need to keep him on strict no exercise, no running, no hard food, no rough play, no chew toys for three days.
    I laughed and said I would rather have him bleed all over the place then deal with a hard headed, high strung, full of urine and vinegar, two year old GPS with no outlet of exercise.
    She offered us some pills to calm him if needed.
    We drove home, with him snoring in the kennel and me thinking how the day could have ended much worst.

Ron

sliderfishn
    Participant
    Blaine, MN

Sorry, never realized how long that post got when typing.

MX1825
    Participant

So sorry about Dash. Keep us posted on his recovery.

sliderfishn
    Participant
    Blaine, MN

Thanks, I should have mentioned that he is fine. He will be back out hunting on Tue or Wed.

onestout
    Participant
    Hudson, WI

I make pretty regular trips to the vet when out west hunting, the farm I hunt has all new barb wire and that stuff is sharp.

snelson223
    Participant
    Austin MN

Tongues and ears seem like they really bleed. I’m glad it was nothing to serious.

glenn57
    Participant
    cold spring mn

Thanks, I should have mentioned that he is fine. He will be back out hunting on Tue or Wed.

glad to hear your pal is doing fine. i hate seeing a dog hurt!!!!!!

Ralph Wiggum
    Participant
    Maple Grove, MN

Glad to hear he’s doing well. Mine hasn’t had anything too serious yet, but it’s only a matter of time. Last weekend he took a leap over a barb wire fence that had me majorly cringing, but he came out unscathed.

Tongues do bleed like a stuck pig, though!!! Also, torn nails. Blech.

27eyeguy
    Participant

Worse thing these days is finding and actually being able to get into a vet, and that bites as most of us are weekend hunters. We carry a doggy 1st aide kit, many dogs have been stapled or sewed on the tailgate. The liquid bandage stuff is helpful also. Some homework required, but we keep some antibiotics on hand at all times also. Experiences, I could probably write a book.

suzuki
    Participant
    Woodbury, Mn

Hearing that 2 vets turned your injured dog away infuriates me.

KP
    Participant
    Hudson, WI

This is my biggest fear is seeing my dog get hurt while hunting. For me this year is my first time actively hunting with my dog and I know some day she may get hurt. What are some things you carry for first aid for you dog?

gimruis
    Participant
    Plymouth, MN

What are some things you carry for first aid for you dog?

If there is one thing that will kill your dog its a conibear trap. If I were you I’d become familiar with how to quickly and efficiently remove it from your dog should they end up in one. That is a nightmare I’ve never lived, but the thought of my dog dying in front of me while she suffocates or has her neck broken is always in the back of my mind. There are youtube videos of it but beware they can be a bit graphic. The 330 conibear is the primary one that can do the damage.

Gitchi Gummi
    Participant

This is my biggest fear is seeing my dog get hurt while hunting. For me this year is my first time actively hunting with my dog and I know some day she may get hurt. What are some things you carry for first aid for you dog?

I’d have to look in my first aid kit but off the top of my head:
    dog nail clippers, benadryl, Neosporin, 2 bottles of saline solution, latex gloves, several different tweezers/plyers, scissors, several rolls of gauze/wraps, gauze squares/pads, thermometer, tape, packets of pure honey, ear wash, cotton balls, paw wax (for the Dec SD trip), headlamp, dog asprin-like medication I got from my vet.

Seems like a long list of stuff but it takes up a very small amount of room in my “hunting bag”. Out of all those items, the one that has been used the most in the field by my group is by far the saline. I like to do a quick flush of my dogs eyes every night after we are done hunting. Its amazing the different crap that can end up in their eyes when running fields of grass, crops, cattails, and everything else out in the prairie.

Couple years back my buddies lab got a burr stuck in its eye that required a vet ER visit in some random small town in the middle of nowhere South Dakota, which reminds me: do some homework before your out of state hunting trips and try to have a vet or two in the area you will be hunting picked out and ready.

KP
    Participant
    Hudson, WI

packets of pure honey,

What are the packets of pure honey used for?

Also thanks for sharing this!

Gitchi Gummi
    Participant

What are the packets of pure honey used for?

Also thanks for sharing this!

I’m not a vet but try to be as prepared as possible for my dog, so take this with a grain of salt. It is my understanding that some dogs can get hypoglycemic (low blood sugar) while hunting and never showing symptoms previously.

It sounds like a dog can turn south pretty quick if they have this problem out in the field and can get as bad as having seizures. When this happens, they need something to quickly recover and rehydrate and pure honey is a good dog-friendly thing you can rub on their gums (doesn’t need to be ingested).

suzuki
    Participant
    Woodbury, Mn

I carry good wire cutters for snares and a huge zip tie to assist with conibear.

Andrew Gilberg
    Participant

Had a very similar situation happen this weekend, although it wasn’t worthy of a vet visit. Dog came out of the woods dripping blood everywhere with a gash on the top of his tongue. Not sure what caused it, but after a little time out the bleeding quit and we were hunting again a few hours later.

As for the first aid kit, I purchased a dog specific one and bring it in the truck or wheeler all the time. It has come in handy more than once.

https://www.gundogsupply.com/ready-dog-professional-first-aid-kit.html

gimruis
    Participant
    Plymouth, MN

I carry good wire cutters for snares and a huge zip tie to assist with conibear.

Smart idea. Have you ever run into a set one?

Gitchi Gummi
    Participant

Really good idea

Brad Dimond
    Participant

In addition to the
    first aid gear mentioned my
    crew all carry a multi-tool with pliers. Invaluable if you run in to a porcupine.

MX1825
    Participant

Hearing that 2 vets turned your injured dog away infuriates me.

X2. A vet that wouldn’t treat my dog in an emergency would get an earful before he hung up. Also a scathing review on Google. JM .02

sliderfishn
    Participant
    Blaine, MN

I carry a pretty big first aid kit for humans in the truck, mostly the same for dogs. Get a book or read online what you can used and can not use on a dog.
    Saline is used the most for my group. Eye wash, ear wash, wound wash.
    I also carry a cheap anti bite dog muzzle from amazon.
    I learned no matter how much the dog loves you when in pain they can nip/bite their owner. It can also be used to stop a dog from licking wounds or tearing off gauze and wraps.
    Also carry hydrogen peroxide, dawn soap, baking soda, small collapsible bucket. Carry the recipe for the skunk mix.
    Hydrogen peroxide can be used to make a dog throw up also.

Will be adding a big zip tie or two to my vest.

Brad Dimond
    Participant

Sliderfishn hit on a couple of additional good points.

My roommate’s Golden Retriever, nicest and gentlest dog I’ve ever been around, stepped into a leg hold trap while grouse hunting. By the time I released her there was blood running down my arms. I carry a muzzle now.

Skunk kit rides with me at all times. In addition to sliderfishn’s skunk kit I also carry two gallon jugs of water. You and the dog can drink it and I dilute the peroxide 50-50 when needed, makes the solution go a little further without diminishing effectiveness. Use a rectangular two quart sealable tub to carry everything and use to mix the solution.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.