Humminbird Mega Live Imaging?

• Ripjiggen

I just got an email from Russel Marine about preordering Humminbird Mega Live Imaging.
    Looks like it is just a transducer for $1500.
    Release date is March. It appears it will work on Helix Gen 3 and up. Maybe others knew this already. I was unaware.

Ripjiggen

Features

Watch fish and structure in real-time, powered by the unmatched detail and clarity of MEGA Imaging+, with a range up to 150 feet

– Choose from multiple viewing options provided by the included trolling motor shaft mount; Forward, Down and Landscape modes

– A wider and more fishable sonar coverage area makes it easier to keep fish and your lure within view

– MEGA Imaging+ quality sonar throughout the entire view without gaps in sonar coverage

– No need for a sonar black box: connect MEGA Live via Ethernet to compatible Humminbird models, allowing for connection of MEGA 360 Imaging to the same control head

– Transducer mounts to trolling motor shaft or 3rd party mounting options

– Compatible Humminbird models:

– HELIX G3N & G4N models with MEGA Imaging+

– All SOLIX models

– All APEX models

arcticm1000
    New Richmond, WI

Russels Marine posted details about it on their Facebook page last week. I am excited for it also. Hopefully Humminbird announces it officially soon and posts some videos of it in use.

Are you going to preorder?

Ripjiggen

No not pre ordering. Would like to see it first.

JasonP
    Twin Cities

Looks like they moved the release to summer. Bummer.

Karry Kyllo

I think it’s limited on what trolling motors it will work with right now also.

JoeMX1825
    MN

Its pure Vaporware at this point…not a single screenshot or video clip or spy shot on a Prostaff boat released makes you wonder if it even exists…

I sense its marketing shenanigans to keep people holding off purchasing Livescope.

arcticm1000
    New Richmond, WI

I know this speculation, but it looks like it could raise the bar from livescope if it is as good as the speculation shows in the video below. I have the same questions and thoughts that you expressed Joe. I am hoping for the best, but who knows what reality will be. I would like to avoid adding a Garmin if possible. It sucked missing the best shallow water fishing with the Mega 360 last year because the it was delayed. I finally got mine towards the end of June. It has a lot of potential, especially in shallow water. Or suspended crappie in the basin.

JasonP
    Twin Cities

I’m going with Joe. They’ve got a sub-par version that is so far from release that they don’t even dare show it.

hnd

that footage is from an oculus transducer that runs like 45k. they use them for like hull inspections on boats and stuff and consume massive amounts of power. I don’t doubt that humminbird is paying for some of this technology but I’m pretty sure it ain’t gonna look like that.

rjthehunter
    Brainerd

Empty promises. Lowrance came out with their version of livescope last year!

reddog

IM willing to wait it out…

rjthehunter
    Brainerd

IM willing to wait it out…

Why? If Apple only made flip phones and Samsung was making these awesome smart phones but Apple said they’d come out with one, are you going to wait an undisclosed amount of time? To hopefully have something that’s at least comparable?

Michael C. Winther
    Reedsburg, WI

Why? If Apple only made flip phones and Samsung was making these awesome smart phones but Apple said they’d come out with one, are you going to wait an undisclosed amount of time? To hopefully have something that’s at least comparable?

Live imaging isn’t the only reason to choose one brand over the other, and current Humminbird units with 360 and MSI are hardly “flip phones” when compared to Lowrance or Garmin with live imaging. Maybe more like an iPhone 11 vs Galaxy S21 Ultra. And since it will be an add-on for units many people already own that are integrated into networks with their trolling motor and shallow water anchors, why in the world wouldn’t someone wait for it?

reddog

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>rjthehunter wrote:</div>

Live imaging isn’t the only reason to choose one brand over the other, and current Humminbird units with 360 and MSI are hardly “flip phones” when compared to Lowrance or Garmin with live imaging. Maybe more like an iPhone 11 vs Galaxy S21 Ultra. And since it will be an add-on for units many people already own that are integrated into networks with their trolling motor and shallow water anchors, why in the world wouldn’t someone wait for it?

Thank you Michael, and yes, I’m already vested with Birds. Plus, I think it’s going to be superior. )

rjthehunter
    Brainerd

If someone wants to be on the leading edge of technology, it doesn’t make sense to stick with the company bringing up the rear. I know lots of people who switched to Garmin when livescope came out. I also know lots of guys who run 2 or 3 different brands in their boat for electronics.

Michael C. Winther
    Reedsburg, WI

If someone wants to be on the leading edge of technology, it doesn’t make sense to stick with the company bringing up the rear. I know lots of people who switched to Garmin when livescope came out. I also know lots of guys who run 2 or 3 different brands in their boat for electronics.

You asked why someone would wait…and I offered a reason. Everyone has their own reasons for doing things, so it’s unhelpful to suggest any particular reason doesn’t make sense just because it’s different than yours. Not everyone feels the need to be a company’s beta-tester, and you grossly oversimplify things by saying any one company is the “leading edge” and another is “bringing up the rear.” They’re all doing tremendous things, and take turns every year being the one in the lead with a particular feature.

Denny O
    Central IOWA

I’ll wait till it comes out.
    Then I’ll wait a bit more till I hear it is doing well.

Heck, I might even wait till version 2 hits the racks!
    I don’t spend 15 grand short sighted and uninformed on my electronics.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

I will wait too. I might even wait longer after this is released to upgrade if Garmin has an improved version of Livescope on the horizon. When I put in a concerted effort with time and focus on the water, I can catch plenty of fish with my old archaic electronics from a whopping 3 years ago.

The latest electronics can SOMETIMES help people catch fish. But they ALWAYS catch anglers and their wallets waytogo

john23
    St. Paul, MN

I preordered it. I wouldn’t give up my mega 360 for anything. I thought about adding a third screen on the bow for a Garmin Livescope but three screens is a lot of real estate. Plus, I’m not a big ice fisherman. It wasn’t a hard choice. If I’m among the first to get it in 2022 I’ll be just fine.

bigcrappie
    Blaine

Have you seen the You Tube video reviews of the Lowrance? It needs work there is a cone effect that Garmin does not have and the screen glitches/shifts all the time.

JoeMX1825
    MN

just speaking from a technology standpoint alone, Humminbird is claiming they can produce a larger viewing angle than Livescope/Livesight 2.0 that doesn’t require a brain box to stitch the 3 transducer returns together, they claim even the older Helix 3rd generation unit can do this…BUT both Garmin and Lowrance need the brain box even for their top of the line models… that just doesn’t add up imo and why I feel this is all Marketing BS….

if i’m wrong and they somehow pulled it off, well they’ll earn my money no problem…

JoeMX1825
    MN

Have you seen the You Tube video reviews of the Lowrance? It needs work there is a cone effect that Garmin does not have and the screen glitches/shifts all the time.

Jay Seimens did a great comparison video, the Lowrance screen glitches were attributed to Garmin interference and went away when the Garmin was shutoff…

JasonP
    Twin Cities

Still crickets from Humminbird.

coffee

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.