Humminbird Fish Smart app with External GPS

• tonyholland00
    Plymouth MN

Hello, my H2Oc has finally poop the bed, and wont acquire GPS signal so I am looking at alternates for a WAAS receiver with Lakemaster type maps.

I downloaded the FishSmart App from Humminbird which looks promising except that you have to pay per lake, with is ok for me since I fish about 3 lakes.

My question is I dont trust IPhone GPS, and want WAAS GPS, so I was going to use my Aviation external GPS to provide GPS signal to the Iphone. My question is will the FishSmart application use the external GPS data or will it use the internal GPS data.

Has anyone else tried this approach?

Thanks

Troy Hoernemann
    Nevis mn

No I have not tried that approach but I have that same app on my Android. the lakes that I fish the maps have been pretty spot-on I mean if it’s a hump there’s a hump there within a couple feet of death depth range I have absolutely loved the app so far it’s been better than Navionics I’m hoping with my new Helix 12 when I make my own maps of the lake this summer I will be able to download them to my cell phone for winter use

Ron
    Victoria, mn

You “don’t trust IPhone GPS”? I’m no GPS expert, but my IPhone 4s (several generations old) navigates me turn by turn on the roads pretty accurately. I have the Navionics+ app on it and the accuracy of the Navionics contour mapping compared to the Lakemaster mapping on my Bird is more problematic than the GPS system.

tonyholland00
    Plymouth MN

My Iphone has a typical horizontal accuracy of around 10 m. Which when you are wanting to get to a spot on the spot is pretty important.

With WAAS on my aviation GPS I get 1 meter accuracy.

So yes it is kinda a big deal.

Dogfish

It’s rumored that next years phones will be accurate up to 30cm…..so it’s going to get super accurate.

That being ignored, I’m typically looking for the most accurate map that I can possibly get, more than I am the difference in the units ability to locate me a few feet this way or that way. Fish roam, their brains are pretty small, so IMO, knowing the contours of a structure that will tend to congregate them is the most important piece of the puzzle.

I use an old Lowrance HDS7-CHIRP unit with a lakemaster chip that seems to put me exactly on the spot if you are interested in a unit that you can use summer and winter. The processor seems a bit under powered though.

tonyholland00
    Plymouth MN

I 100% agree, I was looking at the old globalmaps, which take my old SD lakemaster chip which in my opinion is spot on. Which is why I am using the Humminbird Fishsmart app as it is the same chart.

I am guessing these Gen-1 HDS probably would take them as well.

Tony

Tom Albrecht
    Eau Claire

Is there a way to download my lakemaster maps off my Helix to the app or do you have to buy each body of water individually again?

Ice Cap

Is there a way to download my lakemaster maps off my Helix to the app or do you have to buy each body of water individually again?

Buy them individually for the app. I thought that maybe because I dropped the $ for a Lakemaster chip for my Helix I could download the app to my phone and have the same maps on the app as whats on my chip. Don’t work that way.

Tom Albrecht
    Eau Claire

That’s unfortunate. Thanks for the info.

More $$, but the opposite path works; the maps you buy in Fishsmart can be used on a newer finder.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.