Hudson Boat Launch Update 7/2/2022

• Paulski
    “Ever Wonder Why There Are No Democrats On Mount Rushmore ? "

OK, took a trip down to the newly “ not finished” boat launch, and here is my current assessment … aka the good, the bad, and the ugly

The Good – it’s getting closer to being done. It will be 4 launches eventually which will be nice, but it’s a bit interesting how to get to the far launch in my opinion as you have to take a tight corner to make your way around. There is no drop box I could see, so I guess you can’t pay currently… 😊 More spots are nice also.

The Bad – while a few boats did launch there this morning on the “one” and only launch that is technically open, I know one person who could not launch due to the current status of the launch who ended up over at Kings and then had to drive over to pick up his group.

The Ugly – for sure the grade of the launch needs to be addressed. What also needs to be addressed is the boulders, yes, I call them boulders that were very obvious and close to the surface on the three launches currently not open. One is right next to the dock, the others scattered about over the three launches. I would call those prop and lower unit eaters. The guy who was tied up at the launch referred to them as treacherous.

Hopefully, the city and contractor gets these issues corrected soon.

Paulski

steveo
    W Central Sconnie

there was a back hoe staged at the launch this morning. i would imagine those boulders will be moved today. not sure where they will go with them

DaveB
    Inver Grove Heights MN

Boulder, CO

steveo
    W Central Sconnie

it appears all the lanes are closed during the rock removal.

bzzsaw
    Hudson, Wi

Hoping they do more than remove the rocks. It was knee deep close to 60 ft out. It should be over 4 ft deep.

steveo
    W Central Sconnie

Kirk
    that’s incompetence of the highest level. i cant even believe they opened the launch like that. I know the water is low but still

bzzsaw
    Hudson, Wi

Kirk
    that’s incompetence of the highest level. i cant even believe they opened the launch like that. I know the water is low but still

Yep. Agreed. It looked like they had cleaned up the boulders that were on the ramps and dug up some of the other material (dirt) out in front of the ramps by last night. They still had to haul away the dirt. It looked like there were about 4 – 6 loads of dirt on the ramp to be hauled away. So hopefully this resolves the initial issues and they can open them again soon.

LabDaddy1

Not to hijack this thread but I wouldn’t mind some advice as to where to launch tomorrow. I bought the annual permit for the bluffs but as most of you know, that is closed now. I would like to fish from Prescott to actin area. Should I launch at Hastings or pay at windmill or afton? Or something else? Not opposed to paying for convenience. Thank you.

danomite

I would not recommend the windmill, unless you have a boat that you can float on and crank onto the trailer. I launched there last weekend and I have a Drotto latch, which cannot be cranked on because I have a heavy fiberglass boat. I use my motor to idle up to my trailer and they had an absolute fit! I knowingly had to break the rules and power on just a bit to get it to latch. 4 people came running out of the dock house screaming at me. Needless to say I got the boat loaded, but I will not be going back.

Justin riegel

Not to hijack this thread but I wouldn’t mind some advice as to where to launch tomorrow. I bought the annual permit for the bluffs but as most of you know, that is closed now. I would like to fish from Prescott to actin area. Should I launch at Hastings or pay at windmill or afton? Or something else? Not opposed to paying for convenience. Thank you.

Hastings is free or Prescott has pay launch.

bzzsaw
    Hudson, Wi

Hudson’s new launch is open. 10 minutes to afton. I don’t think they have a pay box setup yet so I assume it is free.

danomite

Has anyone checked it out to make sure it’s a lot deeper? I don’t want to be the guinea pig with my prop! Lol

bzzsaw
    Hudson, Wi

It has been cleanup up and fully open since Tuesday. I haven’t launched there yet but plan to tomorrow. Here is the material they took out Monday.

Attachments:
    1. 45401FA4-7753-4346-898D-F0336A6230E7-scaled.jpeg

2. 87C55A48-C7B7-4B7A-963D-E5D0270B1F28-scaled.jpeg

Paulski
    “Ever Wonder Why There Are No Democrats On Mount Rushmore ? "

I would not recommend the windmill, unless you have a boat that you can float on and crank onto the trailer. I launched there last weekend and I have a Drotto latch, which cannot be cranked on because I have a heavy fiberglass boat. I use my motor to idle up to my trailer and they had an absolute fit! I knowingly had to break the rules and power on just a bit to get it to latch. 4 people came running out of the dock house screaming at me. Needless to say I got the boat loaded, but I will not be going back.

Interesting, I launched at Windmill on Tuesday, and idled up to my trailer which has bunks, and did not hear a peep. In fact, the guy working asked if I needed him to put my boat on my trailer for me, to which I said, no worries, not my first time … I do not have a drotto though, so just winch and go for me and my old ranger 617.

Paulski

danomite

Just used the launch about 10 minutes ago! Plenty Deep and looks awesome!

Thanks everyone for keeping us updated!

LabDaddy1

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. Ended up going out of Prescott. 12$ launch fee decent ramp and parking space.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>danomite wrote:</div>

Interesting, I launched at Windmill on Tuesday, and idled up to my trailer which has bunks, and did not hear a peep. In fact, the guy working asked if I needed him to put my boat on my trailer for me, to which I said, no worries, not my first time … I do not have a drotto though, so just winch and go for me and my old ranger 617.

Paulski

I’m with Paulski here.

I’ve loaded at Windmill for years with a roller and now a bunk. The folks have been more then helpful at Windmill unless you like to power load… Can miss the big sign…”NO POWER LOADING”.

There isn’t any current there and putting your bunk trailer a bit further in the water make all the difference. Aft end of the boat drift off the trailer? Use one of the many dock poles to line it up.
    I consider it one of the best ramps on the St Croix if not the best. My .02

danomite

The windmill is a nice landing, but that’s why I wrote “unless you have a boat that you can float on and crank onto the trailer”.

Usually I can idle up and get my drotto to click without using too much of the engine, but I was yelled at for even starting the motor after having it parked at the dock. One of the young men was very helpful and I tipped him accordingly. I wish I would have known how strict it would have been before I used this launch because I never would have tried it.

luttes
    Maplewood/WBL

Agree with the sentiments on Windmill. It’s a fantastic experience launching there. Plenty of room, everyone is considerate, kids will drive you from your vehicle to the dock and visa versa, dock hands will hold your boat while you park, but you’re sure gunna pay for that luxury. We launched there on the 4th of July this year to go see fireworks in Hudson, and after tips, I think we dropped over $40 to launch. Absolutely worth every single penny for the convenience and peaceful experience, just not going to launch there every weekend.

bzzsaw
    Hudson, Wi

I finally used the new launch in Hudson for the first time yesterday. I didn’t have any issues. I like having options for launching from both sides of the landing. It seems like both sides have 3 spots to get ready. So hopefully you won’t have to wait for someone if they are taking forever. I’m sure the traffic flow will take a bit to get used to. They only have 1 dock in now. Assume they will have both in next year.

G_Smitty
    New Richmond, WI

so the launch is now fully functional (other than just the one dock)?? Going to try to go out tomorrow morning.

Viewing 21 posts - 31 through 51 (of 51 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.