Hudson Boat Launch Update 7/2/2022

• Paulski
    “Ever Wonder Why There Are No Democrats On Mount Rushmore ? "

Well, I was in Hudson today for Lunch and took a ride along the riverfront. No clue who came up with the bright idea that the Launch would be completed by July 4th weekend, as it appears from my eye it’s going to be more like October 1st if we’re lucky ( really lucky). Still looks like a superfund waste fund site if you ask me

Paulski

onestout
    Hudson, WI

Should have been done when they redid the wall 15 years ago. It really needs what they are doing and will be nice once it is done. Money well spent IMO.

Paulski
    “Ever Wonder Why There Are No Democrats On Mount Rushmore ? "

Considering that the Bluffs are going to be closed after Labor Day, there is going to be nary a place to launch this fall, ( other than Kings & Windmill) That will probably mean fewer folks on the river.

Paulski

G_Smitty
    New Richmond, WI

had a look at the plans for Hudson. Seems to me they’re taking out the sandy area so no pulling up the boat to beach it while you get the trailer. I hope they’re planning on doubling the number of docks and lanes for launching since they’re at least doubling parking. If not, it’s going to be an even worse shi*show out there! )

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Whatever they are doing I’m sure it’s for maximum profit.

G_Smitty
    New Richmond, WI

any updates on the new launch? Haven’t been downtown in a long time…

bzzsaw
    Hudson, Wi

any updates on the new launch? Haven’t been downtown in a long time…

Its not open yet. Looks close to being ready for black top as of last night. I would doubt they will get her done before labor day. Its possible it could get blacktopped but don’t think they will have parking lines painted by the weekend. It sure looks like it will be nice. I think they will have either 3 or 4 launches. Could use double the parking but it is still more than they had. The higher elevation should help during high water. I think there will be less shore parking than before because they have new riprap around the launches. Once the water comes up a bit, I don’t think there will be much space to park on shore.

bzzsaw
    Hudson, Wi

It looked like they were staging some blacktop equipment tonight.

danomite

Any word on the Ramp? I was hoping to use it in the morning.

sandbar
    Woodbury, MN

Drove by yesterday. Black top is down. No lines painted yet. Looks really nice and is much bigger.

danomite

Drove by yesterday. Black top is down. No lines painted yet. Looks really nice and is much bigger.

So that means it’s not open I’m assuming?

sandbar
    Woodbury, MN

Not open

sandbar
    Woodbury, MN

It’s open.

danomite

Thank you for posting this and letting us know! Looking forward to seeing the new ramp. Tight lines!

DaveB
    Inver Grove Heights MN

I dont think I have used this launch in 25 years, what is the cost? Do they have a drop box for payment?

luttes
    Maplewood/WBL

Just a heads up, I was talking with a buddy that lives in Hudson yesterday. He was down at the ramp talking to a city worker and it sounds like they messed something up with the ramp and there’s a big pile of gravel and rocks at the end of the ramp so that if you back in too far your trailer will start coming out of the water again… I assume they are going to try to fix it. It shouldn’t be a problem in high water or “normal pool” but i think low is the new normal for now and it will be an issue. Buddy said he’s going to try to launch out of there tonight and I’ll report back.

G_Smitty
    New Richmond, WI

thanks for the updates. I’m planning on fishing on the Croix tonight. Will try the downtown launch first and will post my findings!

bzzsaw
    Hudson, Wi

Heard the same about some boats having issues because of the low water. I didn’t see anyone launching but had a buddy share a pic (attached). This trailer looks very long so not sure if most fishing boat trailers will have this issue. I’m sure roller trailers will fare better than bunk trailers with the water this low. I would also hope they can make it deeper off the end of the ramp.

Cost to launch is 8.00 for city of Hudson residents and 12.00 for non-residents.

Other than the depth, the launch looks great. Would have liked to see double the parking but it still has more spots than before. The increased elevation will also be nice.

Attachments:
    1. boat-launch-pics.jpg

luttes
    Maplewood/WBL

Heard the same about some boats having issues because of the low water. I didn’t see anyone launching but had a buddy share a pic (attached). This trailer looks very long so not sure if most fishing boat trailers will have this issue. I’m sure roller trailers will fare better than bunk trailers with the water this low. I would also hope they can make it deeper off the end of the ramp.

Cost to launch is 8.00 for city of Hudson residents and 12.00 for non-residents.

Other than the depth, the launch looks great. Would have liked to see double the parking but it still has more spots than before. The increased elevation will also be nice.

Something isn’t right with that picture… Trailer looks to be off the back of the ramp and is not sitting level. The port side is below water and the starboard side is at least a foot above… I think there are going to be a lot of stuck boats or damaged props…

Ripjiggen

Definitely does not look level.

bzzsaw
    Hudson, Wi

I think the trailer is off the end of the ramp. Water on the Croix is about 6 inches from all time low. And the trailer looks incredibly long in that pic. The ramp has a good slope until it gets to the end then levels off or may even get shallower the further out you go. Hope they find an easy solution for it.

G_Smitty
    New Richmond, WI

hmmmm. Might not put my $8 in the envelope until I’ve successfully launched – I have a Alumacraft Competitor Sport 185 on an Eagle bunk trailer. No rolling that one off – has to be floated off. If the ramp flattens out too shallow, no way I’ll get it off the bunks.

luttes
    Maplewood/WBL

Verdict is in. Buddy couldn’t even get his skeeter wx2060 of the trailer at Hudson… He said someone was coming out tomorrow to fix it… More details to come.

G_Smitty
    New Richmond, WI

yup… I was able to launch my Competitor 185 but had to push it off the trailer. The only ramp that worked at all was the lane right next to the dock. A guy was there measuring depth, etc. and wasn’t a happy fella. ) Not sure what they’re going to do but there is a lot of material (sand from the sandbags?) at the end of the ramp, to the point where it’s not even 2 feet deep where it should be well over 5 feet deep. I won’t go back there again until they complete that work. Also, there are no lights in the parking lot yet so if you’re going out at night and coming back after sunset, be sure to bring a headlamp. I think I chatted with the guy with the Skeeter – no way he was floating that boat off that trailer.

DaveB
    Inver Grove Heights MN

So govt was given one specific job and they did everything but accomplish that goal (to be able to get a boat off a trailer at the ramp)?

Say it aint so.

luttes
    Maplewood/WBL

So govt was given one specific job and they did everything but accomplish that goal (to be able to get a boat off a trailer at the ramp)?

Say it aint so.

The first thing that popped into my head… “It ain’t gubbamint work if you don’t have to do it twice”

Work on the street is that the project cost 1.5 million dollars.

bzzsaw
    Hudson, Wi

I stopped and talked to the guy measuring depths. I think he works for an engineering firm that represents the city. It is hard to believe the construction company thought this BS would be acceptable. It is probably a good thing the water is so low now so they caught this issue early instead of waiting until next year when the water level drops. The ramp currently extends 27 ft into the river from the edge of the water. It was about nut deep on him at the end of the ramp in some spots. The depth got shallower the further out you go. At 58 ft from water edge there were spots that were knee deep. Will be interesting to see if they can just use backhoe to dig it deeper.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

Yeah when Prescott improved the landing they left a big pile of rock at end of it too…par for the course.

G_Smitty
    New Richmond, WI

seems like they didn’t properly remove the materials they used for the cofferdam they set up when they poured the ramps. If I remember correctly, they used mostly sandbag stacks to hold back the water while they did the work on that area? If it is mostly sand, shouldn’t be too much of challenge to clean it out, right? )

I wonder if they held back any payment amounts from Skid Steer Guy…

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 51 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.