How to wire 24 volt trolling motor AND 12 volt Power Pole on 2 12 volt marine ba

• Bob Smith

I recently bought a Power Pole that is 12 v. And currently am running a 12 volt Trolling Motor on 2 batteries. When I hooked up the Power Pole, I keep blowing fuses. Does anyone have a diagram on how to wire the 2 12 volt batteries in a series so I can run both the trolling motor and the Power Pole at the same time? I have a breaker for the trolling motor and that is working fine, but I keep blowing the fuse in by breaker box for the 12 volt Power Pole ( Any help would greatly be appreciated. Thanks!

fishinhunt31
    Near Lake Winnebago

For the 12 volt just hook up the positive and negative of the item to the same poles of ONE battery. You’ll need to make another cable, preferably with 4 or 6 gauge wire, and hook it up from the negative of battery #1 to the positive of #2. The trolling motor connections will attach on the positive of #1 and the negative of #2. I always test this prior with a voltage meter to confirm.

Bob Smith

Sorry, girl here, tring to get this right. lol I attached a diagram I thought you meant. Look right?

Attachments:
    1. 12v-24v-diagram.jpg

redneck
    Rosemount

My first question for you — are you sure your trolling motor is 12 volts and not 24 volts. The diagram you provided where the positive of one battery is hooked to the negative of the other battery is set up for 24 volts not 12 volts. If you had a 12 volt trolling motor and were running 2 batteries to extend run time the negatives and positives of both batteries would be tied together. To answer your question though—To get 12 volts for your power pole just hook up to one battery. That may not be the best set up if your trolling motor truly is a 24 volt motor since it will run down one battery and not the other.
    I see your title sentence says you have a 24 volt trolling motor and your first sentence says it is 12 volts so I am confused now—that is a normal state for me though!!!

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

Sorry, girl here, tring to get this right. lol I attached a diagram I thought you meant. Look right?

Your diagram is correct for what you want to do. It is not the best option, but it will function.

Bob Smith

My bad. Yes – the trolling motor is a 24v. So I AM TRYING TO WIRE THIS SO i can run the 24v Trolling motor, and my 12v electronics (lowrance and power poll) on the 2 12v batteries. Sorry, I miss typed. (

redneck
    Rosemount

Assuming you have a starter battery for starting the motor and running your lights—that might be a better place to tie the power pole and your Lowrance. The trolling motor might cause noise on your Lowrance if you tie into the trolling motor battery.

Bob Smith

Actually, just a 14 foot Weldbilt here, no lights, simple pull start 25hp…..

Batteries are actually removed after the day out. So nothing fancy.

I will try a few things suggested

Thanks everyone! Wish me luck

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

I would suggest buying a decent multi-meter. This is an essential tool for all electrical work. First, for safety, but secondly so you can double check your work without frying anything.

A multi-meter measures voltage, resistance, and all sorts of other electrical functions. At <$20, they are a worthy investment.

Grouse

Bob Smith

I just went to buy one ) So I am going to see what happens. Hope I won’t be back for more advice. Thanks all!!!

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

I will charge a cell phone on my 24V system by only hooking up to one of the batteries, but i wouldn’t advise running a bunch of drain on that system.

A 24V trolling motor will draw equally from each of the 12V batteries hooked up in series. When you start drawing more from one of the two batteries using 12V, your are making an unbalanced battery system, which will reduce your overall battery capacity. Likely this will reduce the life of your batteries too.

Not to mention, depth finders do not like to be on the same battery as a trolling motor.

I’d suggest a 3rd battery to run all 12v electronics.
    I think what your asking is feasible, but will hurt you in the long run.

rmartin
    United States

FYI for anyone who does not know. The Power Pole draws a small amount of current continuously. If left connected for a long period of time such as over the winter, it will drain the battery. The installation manual suggest a battery cut off switch be installed. This information is not listed in the users manual though and if your dealer installed the PP, they may not have put in the switch. You can also disconnect the lead for long storage.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.