How To Stay Warm While Hunting?

• EdisonKate
    Inactive

Keeping warm while sitting still for long periods of time is especially challenging. Too often hunters cut their hunts short because they’re shivering and can’t get back the body heat they’ve already lost. To help hunters stay warm while staying put, We’ve rounded up some tips for keeping out the cold while hunting.

“Sit on a foam pad. It will make your bottom noticeably toasty. I carry a piece of recycled foam insulation with me on every hunt and use it often.”

“Boot warmer is a big help.”

“I pack my outer layers in and climb to my tree stand in my base layers. I can then let some sweat evaporate more readily before putting my outer layers on.”

“I got a rechargeable hand warmer. That’s been a game-changer!”

Some Things You Can Do to Keep Warm

Beyond having reliable gear, the right amount of layers, there are a few other things you can do that will help you generate or retain warmth while on your hunt.

Eat Right – Staying hydrated and eating right includes consuming calorie – rich foods. You’re aiming to avoid spikes in blood sugar, which will make you cold. Proteins, good fats, and complex carbohydrates will be the winners here. Packing a backpacking stove means you can prepare hot soups, coffee, or even small meals.

With hydration, you’ll want to find the right balance. Too much water and you’ll risk an imbalance of electrolytes and using body energy to keep a full bladder warm. Of course, too little water and you’ll experience dehydration and have lower blood volume and poor circulation, making you feel cold. The Institute of Medicine recommends a healthy adult drink 78–100 ounces of fluids per day, on average.

Stretch and Flex – Even 15 minutes of sitting still and your body’s metabolism starts to slow down and your blood flow slows. A good stretch and flexing any muscles you can will generate some body heat. Plus, you’ll have that walk back to your truck after the hunt, and when it’s cold your muscles tend to tighten, making them more prone to cramps and injury.

Get an Ocoopa rechargeable hand warmer – It’s really a good gear to take when doing outdoor activities in winter! It can keep warm for a long time(alomost whole day except your bed-time)! Can ensure you a whole day warmth!

Get some Fire – Perhaps a last resort, but a campfire can save your life, and ensure you can drive home alone. Burn it as clean as you can, and have to make sure it’s unfire before you leave the area.

​Anyway, keeping warm in winter hunting is really important to every hunters! Please make sure a warm body when hunting!

Attachments:
    1. ocoopa1-2.jpg

mark-bruzek
    Two Harbors, MN

Crawl back into your corner with your heated blankie…

BigWerm
    SW Metro

If you’re still wearing your helmet from the other thread that should help.

Iowaboy1

Worst case scenario, set yourself on fire, you’ll be plenty warm for a bit.

IceNEyes1986
    Harris, MN

I keep warm by slowly turning in my comfy, cozy office chair, reaching over & lighting the Buddy Heater. Works everytime!

Steven Krapfl
    Springville, Iowa

My favorite way to stay warm is hunt from the truck. jester

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Drink plenty of barley water the night before to stay hydrated.

Pailofperch
    Central Mn North of the smiley water tower

My backpack stove is just a little to heavy to carry in for hunts. I usually bring in a microwave and Honda EU3000 generator. I can warm up my boots, gloves, and helmet any time I get the chills.

Joe Jarl
    SW Wright County

If you want to save some money, you don’t need a Honda generator. Get a Predator. They’re just as good.

Hard Water Fan
    Shieldsville

Quit early and drink lots of bourbon to warm up

Mookie Blaylock
    Wright County, MN

I bring enough water to be able to pee on my hands whenever their cold. Down my leg for chilly tootsies.
    Will switch in a Gatorade to balance electrolytes.

MX1825

My backpack stove is just a little to heavy to carry in for hunts. I usually bring in a microwave and Honda EU3000 generator. I can warm up my boots, gloves, and helmet any time I get the chills.

In September bring the AC unit and a fan. Keeps you cool and the mosquitoes away. whistling

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.