How much ice

• dbright
    Participant
    Cambridge

How much ice are you guys taking your sxs on?

Thomas Brynildson
    Participant
    Otter Tail County

To be honest, my general rule of thumb is if I see ATVs, I’m walking out. If I see side by sides, I’ll take an ATV out. If there’s cars, I’ll then take a side by side. Once the ice hits 12 inches though I’ll take anything out, such as a truck, without breaking too much of a sweat. These are pretty conservative standards though. I’d think 7-8 inches would be a solid minimum for a side by side but you might be able to get away with 6. It’s just such a tough judgement call with so much at stake which is why I prefer to wait till it’s a little on the thicker side.

dbright
    Participant
    Cambridge

I usually play it pretty safe when taking any kind of vehicle on the ice. I was figuring 7-8 for the sxs. I use to take my ATV on 5-6.

Pailofperch
    Participant
    Central Mn North of the smiley water tower

I always think that whatever the max ice someone is reporting, you know somewhere there’s 2-3 inches less. So I’m pretty comparable with Thomas. Why push your luck?

gotalunker
    Participant
    Zimmerman, MN

excellent advice!

Aaron
    Participant

This picture always gets posted as a general idea. I would agree with Pailofperch in figuring that there are spots at least 3 inches less somewhere.

Attachments:
    1. th.jpg

mnrabbit
    Participant
    South Central Minnesota

I always think that whatever the max ice someone is reporting, you know somewhere there’s 2-3 inches less. So I’m pretty comparable with Thomas. Why push your luck?

I’ve always thought along the same lines, except I always think somewhere it’s half of what’s reported. Reported at 8″, somewhere there’s 4″. Reported at 20″, somewhere there’s 10″. I don’t drive my truck on too often, and many times I’m the only truck/trailer parked in the parking lot as I’m out on the ATV and everyone else is driving their vehicles out.

Just in case..

Attachments:
    1. iec-thickness.jpg

dbright
    Participant
    Cambridge

I am not a ice newbie. The worst thing you can do is go off someone else’s ice report. I check as I go early ice. I was asking current sxs owners what ice thickness they look for before they feel comfortable going out.

suzuki
    Participant
    Woodbury, Mn

To be honest, my general rule of thumb is if I see ATVs, I’m walking out. If I see side by sides, I’ll take an ATV out. If there’s cars, I’ll then take a side by side. Once the ice hits 12 inches though I’ll take anything out, such as a truck, without breaking too much of a sweat. These are pretty conservative standards though. I’d think 7-8 inches would be a solid minimum for a side by side but you might be able to get away with 6. It’s just such a tough judgement call with so much at stake which is why I prefer to wait till it’s a little on the thicker side.

Good advice. I’ve done this my whole life. Always one level behind what I see on the ice.
    Except for walking. I consider myself a first ice tester and have gone on the barest minimum of ice.
    I missed hitting 2″ this year. It came on so fast that by the time I made it out Thanksgiving there was already about 4 on the lake I fished.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.