How much does Med Flight cost

• joe_the_fisher
    Participant
    Wisconsin Dells WI

Wondering how much my bill will be from the ride I got a week and a half ago… some people have told me it’s $50k.

ClownColor
    Inactive
    The Back 40

No, not even close.

Luckily everyone needs insurance so the most you’ll pay is your max out of pocket expense. Call your insurance company and they’ll have a better answer than you’ll get from friends and family.

I once did medevac’s and if we got $50k per flight we’d be some rich folks! LOL. We once had the army fly a c130 to a small island 8 hrs from Hawaii just to pick up one guy. After his stop in Hono, he needed another flight back to Green Bay WI. You’ll get some bills but not that much.

Justin riegel
    Participant

I work in insurance and typically they run from 10k to 30k

ClownColor
    Inactive
    The Back 40

I work in insurance and typically they run from 10k to 30k

I’m sure you are spot on…except his question was how much his bill will be, not what they charge insurance.

Snake ii’s
    Participant

I think mine was ~25k a few years back.

Justin riegel
    Participant

yea your right, depends on your insurnace plan and if you have an out of pocket max

mxskeeter
    Participant
    SW Wisconsin

2 of my friends got Med flights. 1 last summer and 1 about 5 years ago. Both told me their bills were around $50,000. Now what their insurance paid I can’t tell you. The Med Flight last summer was a 20 minute flight each way. Bill was $51,000. It is my next door neighbor that was buried in a trench.

bzzsaw
    Participant
    Hudson, Wi

My wife had a helicopter ride from Cumberland, Wi to Minneapolis about 12 years ago and the bill for the flight was somewhere between 15 and 20K. Thank god for insurance.

kabefisherman11
    Participant

It’s based on how far/ long the flight was. I’ve heard up to 50k but I’ve also heard as little as 5k depending on the circumstances.

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

You get in-flight peanuts at least?

Dutchboy
    Participant
    Central Mn.

Depends on length of flight. Likely on a per hour basis, pad to pad.

joe_the_fisher
    Participant
    Wisconsin Dells WI

No peanuts.. But they had to call a med flight from Lacrosse to pick me up from hospital in Mauston to take me to UW Madison cause both helicopters were busy from the UW.

big_g
    Participant
    Isle, MN

10 years ago, my mom was battling/succumbing to cancer… she wanted to go to Laughlin, NV one more time. My brother and sister took her out there… a couple days in, she was hospitalized. She was not doing well at all… we ended up hiring a Jet to go out and get her. Luckily our good friend was an EMT.. he went with us. We flew out one afternoon, then the pilots had to spend the night before flying back… we flew back the next morning. That was in 2007 and it was $10,000. We paid it out of pocket, the insurance company said she was fine in the hospital in Bullhead City, AZ… if you ever have a loved one in there, pay the $10,000 to get them out.

grizzly
    Participant
    nebraska

in 1992 it was 14000.00 for a 40 mile ride to hospital, medicare and ins paid it all for him

Opie
    Participant
    Coon Rapids, MN

A few years ago I was Life flighted from Baudette to Fargo for a 2 day old burst appendix. The charge to my insurance company was a bit over $25,000. I wish they would have let me sit up and look at the scenery as we flew, but “rules”.

Jonesy
    Participant

Depends on length of flight. Likely on a per hour basis, pad to pad.

It’s mostly based on miles flown, equipment used, drugs given

djshannon
    Participant
    Crosslake

A week ago Friday, I was “nearly dead” and was air lifted by helicopter to St. Cloud. After being shocked back to life.

When I got there they put me in a comma and “froze” for three days.

The process is simply amazing. I have no memory of the events. I haven’t been out fishing yet . devil But most of my motor skills are back and I think I will be able to drive again next week.

The only short comings I have found so far is tiring easily and the muscle memory that allows me to type with some efficiently.

I would like to thank ALL the people that participate in the process and prayed for my quick return

Joel VandeKrol
    Participant
    Ankeny, IA

djshannon, If you’re on an ACA Plan (2014+) the max out of pocket will be no more than $7350. Pre-2014 plans can vary with MOP’s up to $10,000.

Glad you’re doing well!

suzuki
    Participant
    Woodbury, Mn

A week ago Friday, I was “nearly dead” and was air lifted by helicopter to St. Cloud. After being shocked back to life.

When I got there they put me in a comma and “froze” for three days.

The process is simply amazing. I have no memory of the events. I haven’t been out fishing yet . devil But most of my motor skills are back and I think I will be able to drive again next week.

The only short comings I have found so far is tiring easily and the muscle memory that allows me to type with some efficiently.

I would like to thank ALL the people that participate in the process and prayed for my quick return

I hope you figure out what caused this and get 100% better for a long time!

ib_jigged
    Participant

Hope you are alright joe_the_fisher and djshannon!

Funny, I was thinking the same thing. Last Friday I went to local ER with chest pain and shortness of breath here in TRF. They called the dr. in Grand Forks and they wanted me transferred, but local ambulance service only had one crew on shift so they had to call the Med Flight in from Fargo to Thief River Falls, then brought me to Grand Forks. I can only imagine I have met my deductible already!

Bummer part was I supposed to meet some buddies for a fishing trip last weekend. All is OK as it was nothing as of yet, but still doing a bunch of tests to determine what it was.

ib_jigged
    Participant

I already got my bill, just shy of $15,000 for a 20 minute ride!

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.